looking for an amplifier for my jeep...

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
speakers are rated at 100W rms @4Ω a piece, x4, the sub is 250W rms @4Ω. so i'm looking for something that pushes 650W rms, 5 channels, marine is a plus. if it's not a marine amp, it needs to be compact. quality equipment only, no wal mart junk. i've been scouring the web, i found two JL's that would more or less get the job done, an MHD900_5 is the ideal solution, but it pushes a bit more to the sub than i need, and the cheapest i found the sucker is 7 bills. another one, the XD700/5 is available for around 500 bucks, it only pushes 75W rms @4Ω per channel but is ideal for the sub. does anyone have a better amp for the application?

the speakers i'd like to run are Focal K2P 165 components, 2 sets, and the sub is a focal 21v2 8" dvc sub. everything fits in factory locations, i just need power. speaker level inputs would be a plus as well.

This may sound crazy but look in Walmart in the auto section. They sell great amps for low prices. Those same amps in stereo stores will cost you an arm and a leg.

I have a M6600 in my GTP with 6.5"s in the Polk/MOMO doors and 6x9 JL TR's in the rear pushing 2 JL 10W1s in a ported box. Bought the system brand new in 2006, sounds just as great today as it did then!

:thumbsup:

i know of an infinity amp that would work almost perfectly, but the power isn't quite there. its 75x4 and 300x1. i just don't want to underpower the speakers relative to the sub.

I was a car audio installer for almost 5 years and honestly most car audio amplifiers that say they are marine rated just have a sheet of plastic covering the circuitry. As far as a 5 channel amp i would personally run a kicker or jl audio ive ran both and have a jl 5ch sitting waiting to get installed. What kind of speakers are they and the model number and i can help you match something apropiate for what you have.

k2p 165 and a 21v2, all focal. a pair of the k2 power components 6.5" 2 way, and one 8 inch polyglass sub. another possibility is going all infinity, running 2 pairs of kappa perfect 6.1's, and maybe a 10 or 12 inch sub in a different box. the 8 will fit in the factory box, but if i get a focal sub, i'll want the focal speakers to rock with it. at the same time tho, i'm not a big fan of the polyglass line. they're nice, but for the money, kappa perfects are nicer, and i like to match my speakers and sub. dunno why, ocd i guess.

This may sound crazy but look in Walmart in the auto section. They sell great amps for low prices. Those same amps in stereo stores will cost you an arm and a leg.

also remember walmart buys seconds.. meaning they were either rejected by the factory the first time through or they are the lowest output out of the production line

have you compared the money on two small amps vs a big 5 channel?

fwiw my buddy ran a planet audio amp in his samurai and had it submerged multiple times and never bolted down so it got beat around alot. still worked the day it came out. theyve been featured in some 4x4 mags is how he heard about them.

ive got two excelon amps in my car right now. ones a class d 1800 watt (max x 1@2ohm) pushing a 10" jl w7, and the interior speakers are powered by another excelon iirc its pushing about 150 x 4@2 ohms. the system plain rocks, ive had very good experience with kenwood amps in the past as well. that 1800watts has been pushed hard for a few years now and still works flawless.

also remember walmart buys seconds.. meaning they were either rejected by the factory the first time through or they are the lowest output out of the production line

x2 you can spend a little more or about the same for a name brand and support an actual local audio store.

i think i found an EQ/line output converter that will work for me. i'd maintain the ability to fade l/r and f/r, adjust speaker levels individually, remote sub volume, and EQ front vs. rear vs sub, separately. lots of tuning to do, but it'd sound killer when it's fully installed. obviously this would be to integrate my factory head unit with aftermarket sub/amp/speakers as mentioned above

AudioControl LCQ-1 (White) Signal Processors at Onlinecarstereo.com

If it was me i would go seperate amps..u can always use a pre amp eq to adjust the sound alot better and get a cross over for the sub..it might be even cheaper to go this route..as long as there good amps jl audio makes nice amps so does rockfordfalsegate..

I think your over pushing an 8" with looking for 250. My two 10's call for right around 100-150 rms each at 8ohm and with that 6 channel they get thrown plenty hard enough. Unless your talking about a 8w7 your looking for too much out of a small sub. IMHO anyway.

Also remember JL amps are rated at 11.5 volts where most amps are rated at 14.4 so in almost all cases you will get more out of a JL amp.

I will never have any car audio equipment other than Rockford Fosgate.

I need to install my amp for my highs this summer... I have had it for over a year :laugh:. One of these days I am going to get one 12 inch sub and make a small box.

I get all my stuff off eBay.

I think your over pushing an 8" with looking for 250. My two 10's call for right around 100-150 rms each at 8ohm and with that 6 channel they get thrown plenty hard enough. Unless your talking about a 8w7 your looking for too much out of a small sub. IMHO anyway.

Also remember JL amps are rated at 11.5 volts where most amps are rated at 14.4 so in almost all cases you will get more out of a JL amp.

it's a focal 21V2, rated at 200 RMS 400 peak, and not only will it fit in my factory sub box, but the airspace in there is almost perfect for it.

I will never have any car audio equipment other than Rockford Fosgate.

I need to install my amp for my highs this summer... I have had it for over a year :laugh:. One of these days I am going to get one 12 inch sub and make a small box.

I get all my stuff off eBay.

be careful with that. they have a lot of people out there that arent real dealers so you have no warranty and alot of them are refurbished as well. i got an alpine like that, fried the voice coil the first day. if it werent for the safety features in the amp it wouldve shorted out too.

Back