Looking for a Second Opinion

Sky Rider

Registered
So I started having issues with second gear today. When I go WOT from the bottom of first and thru the gears second seems to fall out of gear or slip around 10500 RPM. When I go from the bottom of second it falls out of gear around 6000-7 and 9000 rpm. Second gear is the only gear giving me this issue and I tested it multiple times, the numbers always stayed consistent. The bike is a K6 with 15,000 miles. I've always used full synthetic 10-40 rated for motorcycle use.

You have a problem sir. Do a search on second gear issue and you should find one or two threads on the subject. Good luck with the fix.

15,000 miles and bad second gear already! That sucks. I've three bikes where 2nd gear went - All Yamahas.

My bet is your 2nd gear is toast.

I got the bike with 7k on it. I'm not sure what kind of history it had but now I'm assuming a not so great one. When I got it thru the dealer I also bought the 2 year insurance that covers any mechanical failures including clutch/motor so... let's hope.

I got the bike with 7k on it. I'm not sure what kind of history it had but now I'm assuming a not so great one. When I got it thru the dealer I also bought the 2 year insurance that covers any mechanical failures including clutch/motor so... let's hope.

Best of luck, If they fix it, see if they'll undercut 2nd gear, or at least let you pay for having it undercut. I put 36K hard miles on my '06 and never had a minutes problem with the tranny. Most people will tell you that the bike was probably abused.

You should be covered then. 2nd gear is a known problem for some of the gen I bikes. Hope you get her fixed alright.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

yeah hard telling how hard the individule was on it before you, its always a gamble, on the bright side lets hope that insurance pays for itself, keep us updated

Mine started at 7400 miles. Im going to try to fix it over the winter since you have to pull the engine to get to the trans. We will see. Got a valve clicking that sounds like they need to maybe adjust the valves while in there. Is the a sticky or post somewhere about removing the engine and breaking it down to the trans?

Took the Busa out again today to make sure it wasn't just a bad dream. When I was riding I had the same issue however on my way home it got stuck in second and wouldn't let me go to third. The shifter was rock solid. I had to shift down to first then thru second into third. Both issues went away after this for the 5 mins it took to get home. I'm taking the bike apart now so here's to hoping something just came loose...

Back