Looking for a reasonably priced tool box.... suggestions

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Like the title says... I want a reasonably priced tool box with wheels for my garage... any inputs greatly appreciated.

Harbor Freight has decent boxes, as does Home Depot.

Or check on Craigslist for a "Mechanics Sale" or for tool boxes there

-D

Reasonably priced? Remember Usually you get what you pay for.

So if you want a set that will last you a lifetime - yours and maybe your kids, then I wouldn't go too cheap.
Best deal might be a used set off Craigslist or E-bay.

I have Craftsmen sets which were made in the USA if that matters to you.
Snap-on is high quality but not cheap.

Good luck in your search and post up pictures when you get something.

Found this at Home Depot for $700. Thoughts? 40" stainless.

The Husky 40 in. 18-Drawer Stainless Steel Tool Chest and Cabinet Set has a premium look and is designed for the Pro or DIY. A special coating is applied to the stainless steel which gives it 3 advantages: more corrosion resistance, reduces finger print smudges commonly attributed to stainless steel, and it is easy to clean. The 9.5 in. deep chest lid is tall enough to store your power tools such as cordless drills and saws. There is a hole punch-out in the rear of the chest to connect your power cord (not provided) to an outlet, while keeping your tools locked and secure. The full width drawer offers unique storage for your longer items and the deep cabinet drawers include double 100 lb. rated ball bearing slides. This tool cabinet is easy to move with four 5 in. x 2 in. casters which support over 1,000 lbs.
Full extension 100 lbs. rated ball bearing drawer slides
Included premium pre-cut solid drawer liners keep your tools in place; a $40 value
Chrome plated push bar side handle on the cabinet
Large 5 in. x 2 in. casters (2 swivel with brake and 2 rigid)
Keyed internal locking to secure your tools
Stylish stainless steel recessed side handles on the chest
24,549 cu. in. storage capacity
Top Chest: 3 drawers in the left column measure 21.7 in. W x 15.6 in. D x 2.6 in. H, 3 drawers in the right column measure 11.7 in. W x 15.6 in. D x 2.6 in. H; bottom cabinet: the top drawer measures 35.7 in. W x 15.9 in. D x 3.6 in. H, The top 5 drawers in the left column measure 21.7 in. W x 15.9 in. D x 2.6 in. H, the bottom drawer in the left column measures 21.7 in. W x 15.9 in. D x 9 in. H, the top 4 drawers in the right column measure 11.6 in. W x 15.9 in. D x 2.6 in. H, the bottom drawer in the right column measures 11.6 in. W x 15.9 in. D x 12.2 in. H

box.jpg

Or this 52" for $598.

The Husky 52 in. 18-Drawer Tool Chest and Cabinet Set is a heavy duty, professional grade tool storage unit. The 9.5 in. deep chest lid is tall enough to store your power tools such as cordless drills and saws. There is a hole punch-out in the rear of the chest to connect your power cord (not provided) to an outlet, while keeping your tools locked and secure. The full width drawer offers unique storage for your longer items and the deep cabinet drawers include double 100 lb. rated ball bearing slides. This tool cabinet is easy to move with six 5 in. x 2 in. casters. Swivel casters with brakes on each end of the rolling cabinet help secure this unit from moving when locked into place.
Pre-cut solid drawer liners keep your tools in place
Smooth 100 lb. rated ball bearing drawer slides with a unique "secure-latch" retention system
Steel recessed side handles on the chest are sturdy and stylish
Large push bar side handle on the cabinet allows ease in mobility
9.5 in. deep clamshell lid with Husky embossed lid stiffener and gas struts
Keyed internal locking to secure your tools

box2.jpg

Get a box that you think you will never fill, because you will.

Its a personal choice, to me I bought a Matco4's and that was big enough, and had the ability for expansion when I needed it. But remember you do get what you pay for, but then again, the first few scratches are the hardest to deal with on a 5K box...

-D

I'm not spending $5k on a tool box for home use. I did, however, contact the local Snap-on guy about repos and trade ins... He's supposed to call me back this afternoon.

Don, Sears has some good after Christmas sales going on now. I have a craftsman box that I have had for 40 years, and they make some nice toolboxes.

Whatever you buy, get something with ball bearing drawer slides.
I have a 5' tall Craftsman that I'll have had for 20 years this June. Still just as good as the day I bought it.
I also have a Mac roll cart with 3 large drawers, it's around 12 years old, and just as good as new.
Both have ball bearing drawer slides too.
I've also been out of space for a long time:laugh:
The next box I buy will be one around 5' or 6' long, so it'll have some really wide drawers. And roughly 4' high with a ss top, makes for another good work bench space.

As the others have said, go bigger than you want or need,
its a lot easier than when it's full and you need to.

Roller draws are a must.

Get a few together and you will notice the quality difference.
Might not seem important but when your attention is working on a difficult or stressful
project the difference between draws gliding or struggling is a big deal !

The amount that I've spend on stuff like TV's, CD's, VHS videos that date in such a short
time makes a couple of tool box's look like money well spent...

image.jpg
http://postimage.org/

do NOT buy anything new from sears or home cheapo or wherever. look on ebay or craigs list for a used one. the only moving parts are the bearings and if its a quality box it will last 10 life times so buying used doesn't mean anything other then ur gettn better quality at a cheaper price.

A co worker at our shop got one of the harbor freight top boxes. I wouldn't say its on par with the top ones of course. But I was surprised at how nice it felt.

Michelle got me this one for Christmas! Still moving my tools over to it from smaller boxes.

Or this 52" for $598. The Husky 52 in. 18-Drawer Tool Chest and Cabinet Set is a heavy duty, professional grade tool storage unit. The 9.5 in. deep chest lid is tall enough to store your power tools such as cordless drills and saws. There is a hole punch-out in the rear of the chest to connect your power cord (not provided) to an outlet, while keeping your tools locked and secure. The full width drawer offers unique storage for your longer items and the deep cabinet drawers include double 100 lb. rated ball bearing slides. This tool cabinet is easy to move with six 5 in. x 2 in. casters. Swivel casters with brakes on each end of the rolling cabinet help secure this unit from moving when locked into place. Pre-cut solid drawer liners keep your tools in place Smooth 100 lb. rated ball bearing drawer slides with a unique "secure-latch" retention system Steel recessed side handles on the chest are sturdy and stylish Large push bar side handle on the cabinet allows ease in mobility 9.5 in. deep clamshell lid with Husky embossed lid stiffener and gas struts Keyed internal locking to secure your tools

Michelle got me this one for Christmas! Still moving my tools over to it from smaller boxes.

I'm going to look at it today. I was wondering about the space at the top, it almost seems like it wouldn't be very useful. Thoughts about the quality Omar?

A local guy has this brand new for $600. Mastercraft 30" wide top and bottom. Any inputs? $900 MSRP

tool box.jpg

A local guy has this brand new for $600. Mastercraft 30" wide top and bottom. Any inputs? $900 MSRP

Does that include it full of tools? :laugh:

Is it USA made? ???

One feature I really like about my box is the very first drawer is really a table so when you pull it out you have something to set whatever you are working on, on it while
you go through the other drawers looking for what you need. I don't think I would call it a deal breaker to buy one without that feature, but I know I like mine.
Then again if you have a workbench right next to it, it might not matter so much.

The only other thing I see is that all the drawers are full width. Having a mix of smaller drawers has the advantage of keeping some tools separate. Like English vs Metric etc.

But if it suits your needs, go for it.

I have snap-on. Bought it 27 years ago. Still works and looks great. If anything breaks snap -on will fix or replace. You get what you pay for. As stated in earlier post.

Back