Looking for a 1300. what should I look for or look out for?

voodoolord

Registered
Im in the market for a Busa and wanted to get some info before i pull the trigger. My budget is between $4000 and $6500. What should I be looking for? Thanks for any help.

Welcome. Look for any signs of abuse. You should be able to get a very nice bike in your budget price. Look for rusted chain, dirty oil, hacked wiring, bald tires, leaking forks, smoke out of the exhaust, see how all of the plastics line up and come together, paint, etc.

Welcome. Look for any signs of abuse. You should be able to get a very nice bike in your budget price. Look for rusted chain, dirty oil, hacked wiring, bald tires, leaking forks, smoke out of the exhaust, see how all of the plastics line up and come together, paint, etc.

^^^^^what he said^^^^^

Welcome. +100 to points above by twotonevert. In other words, the same things you look for when buying a used bike.

Leaking fork seals, improperly dones mods, look at the underside and see if the exhaust is bashed, or anything scratched. That would show that it had been ridden too lowered at one point. Make sure the undertail is not rubbed through, for the same reason.

I would say make sure an experienced rider test road the bike and beat on it hard in an open stretch of road to make sure second gear isn't out or going out....a lot of times you have to run it all the way to 11,000 wot for it to slip out

Crushed pipes or a scar across the front fender will indicate hard landings along with leaky fork seals. Scratches on the outside of the mirrors or barends. Things that don't look bad enough to replace after a crash. Clear brake and clutch fluid. quiet brakes. smooth ride. check the sprockets and see what they look like. Obviously rubber on the license plate or under the rear fender ......

Thanks for the input. Im a mechanic so I know what to look for in a used bike. I will be compression testing any bike I plan on buying. Im more interested in Busa specific things like if there's good years and bad years. Good mods and bad mods. Things like that.

You can find a good used gen2 for $6500 if you look around.
There's nothing wrong with a gen1 either, but a gen2 has better brakes, suspension, and more power. As well as no 2nd gear issues, or heating problems at idle(many gen1's need a second radiator fan, the gen2 already has 2).
99 to 01 models also need to be upgraded to an 02 to 07 ecu in order to use ecu editor(flashing software).
Gen1 or 2 both could use better brakes and suspension too, but stock vs stock the gen2 is much better.
Either bike in good shape at the right price is worth buying. You also want to consider what modifications you'de like to do, and what they will cost. If you're like most of us, that never ends.
Better front brake pads and ss lines are a good place to start. Setting the suspension sag to your body weight is free and really needs to be done to any bike. Make the bike stop and handle better first, before getting a few more hp from an exhaust(usaully the first thing people want to add).
Slipon mufflers alone are a good gen2 handling improvement as all the aftermarket ones weigh much less than stock, and that can really be felt riding curves. Slipons are only good for a hp or 2, and you'll never feel that. Buying a bike that already has an exhaust you like will usually save you quite a bit of money too.
As Twotone said already, look out for the condition of the bike, it says alot about how it's been treated. The busa and it's engine have been proven to be extremely dependable with only minor issues.
Good luck with your search and welcome to the org. Everything you need to know is here somewhere.:beerchug:

Thanks sixpack. That is the type of info Im looking for. So Im guessing first gen is 99-01 and second gen is 02-07? If so is there a reasonable difference between a 07 and an 08 that would make the 08 way better? also how comfortable is the bike for a passenger on medium to long rides? Thanks.

The busas are sooo customizable and parts are easy to come by so you mite not be able to tell the history of the bike by looking at it. Checkout the owner, you want to get a busa that has low miles and relatively stock. Try to find the guy who was going through the midlife crisis and quickly figured out that a busa wasnt the answer:laugh: Check CL or Ebay locally and be patient for the rite 1 at the rite price. Winter isnt that far off so the prices will drop along with the temperature:whistle:

Back