Looking at my first Busa - Need info

Overkill

Registered
First things first - Hello everyone. My name is Jeremiah from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am 23...but have a lot of riding experience under my belt. Not just dirt bikes either. On to my question now!

Due to an unfortunate turn of events with my truck - I have some cash in hand and am thinking about turning it into a hayabusa. I am young, but have owned multiple bikes. 2 gsxr 750s and a gsxr 1000 so the hayabusa isn't too much for me. I am a big guy too, so keeping it on the ground shouldn't be too hard.

My question is, what should I pay for an 02 with 25k miles. It has full exhaust, commander, and a few other little upgrades. It has been down, looks like a driveway slide - the stator cover is a little scratched as are the fairings on the left side, but have been touched up by the owner. Its hard to tell if you aren't looking close.

I test rode it today, but think I am going to go back tomorrow too. I have been reading up about the 2nd gear issue so I want to test it again and see. How hard do I have to get on it to tell if the trans is going?

Assuming it is alright, what should the estimated $ be for that bike? Just a fair range. I checked NADA on it, and clean retail is only about $3700. However I have noticed that these bikes tend to sell for more than they are worth.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Hi, I read somewhere on here where a guy said that you really have to get on it in oreder to tell if second is crap. I'm not sure about the price but you can kinda get an idea of a range if you look for one on ebay or something like that. just to use as a reference point. It shouldn't be to much considering the mileage and it's been down. Good luck with your search and I'm sure someone else will chime in.

:welcome: to the org!

I would say around 4500 would be a good place to start. u dont see alot of busa for less than 5-6k but with what u described that may be about right. as for 2nd cruise around in 2nd hard accel w/ & w/o clutch. u will feel some surging almost like a clutch slip just make sure the tire is warm the bus likes to break the tire loose when cold. I had 2nd go out in my gsxr 750 so it will only do it once in a while at 1st then get worse. power shouldnt b a problem I came off a gsxr 1k with alot of work and it seemed faster until u look at the speedo. by the way good luck busa hunting neighbor I live in SF

full throttle 2nd gear blast to redline. i test rode mine putting around and bought it. first time i got on it hard in second starting jumping at 6500 rms and above. 1k later, lesson learned

Prices are different in every area, you live (like me) in a warm area where yu have year around riding so the prices tent to be a little higher. $5,000 would be max if it was perfect but since its been dropped offer $4000-$4200 and see what they say. What is the asking price? As said before you got to get on it real hard in 2nd before you will notice if it's busted. If it is be prepaired to spend about $1,000.00 to fix it.

Thanks everyone. I am going to see if I can take it for another spin today to check out second gear. Asking price is 4900 and it has been for sale for quite a while so I am concerned there might be an issue that I missed.

I wish it was year round riding here in Albuquerque! You CAN ride year round, but we still have 2 to 3 months a year of temps ranging from 20s all the way down to well into the negatives. Had a record low at my place this year of -26. I am personally a fair weather rider. But if I get this bike, until I get another truck, this will be my only transportation. So I will have to ride no matter the weather.

Wish you were closer to me, I could fix you up with a very nice 05. Good luck in your search my friend.

We understand that you are not wanting to get ripped off, but the bike is worth what you are willing to pay for it. For example, when I bought my 08 last year, I paid about $500 more than some others on here with similar mileage. Although, I was satisfied with the price, knew the history of the bike, and it was spotless.

I have never looked back on my decision. So, if you are comfortable with $4500, then go for it. If something breaks in 3 months, that is just the life of buying used and something we all have to think about.

Good luck with your decision, and the Busa is a great bike, no matter what year you are looking at.

Kelly Blue Book retail my ZIP $5875 avg mileage 40K for that year. You don't typically get much if anything for most add ons. It's been dropped and needs a stator cover at the very least, who knows what else might be wrong with it. As far as second gear goes you probably just need to take off fairly hard from a stop run it up to about 9K or so and shift quickly and go WOT a few times. If it's bad you will know it. Be advised that it's not always easy to shift a Busa from 1st to 2nd under these circumstances, hitting neutral between 1st and 2nd doesn't mean there's a tranny issue.

But with 7 years driving under your belt I'm sure you'll be just fine

Back