looking at 03 busa.

crepitus

Registered
so i have been looking for a used busa that last few weeks. my bike is sold and they are picking it up this weekend. so i found an 03 with 1400 miles on it. it has a full micron exhaust. so here are my questions:

if it was beat on and not broken in easy would that be a problem? obviously you take the chance when you buy a used bike from someone you dont know. i have read that some actually do drive it hard during break in.

i asked him if it was remapped since it has a pipe. he said no it isnt need with micron exhaust its more for sound then performance. is this true? does the exhaust sound good?

and last what should i look for when checking out the bike? what are hte orginal tires they come with? just want to make sure it actually has the mileage he is saying. is 7500 a good price for this bike. says it only has 1 small scratch.

Like you said. Check out the tires, although he could have changed them. Were the 1800 miles put on a 1/4 mile at a time? KWIM

If he changed the full exhaust I'd say it needs to be remapped/have a power commander hooked up.  If it was slipons it wouldn't be a huge deal, but changing all the way down the exhaust system is way too many variables.  The performance may be "good enough" but I doubt he's getting everything out of it he can.

That being said, Microns are quite nice fro what I understand.

The original equipment tires are Bridgestones... the BT056s (Thanks for the correction, BA).  Though if he did mods like the Exhaust he *may* have upgraded the rubber too.  Just the brand of tires aren't going to tell you what the mileage on it is.

I would definitely go an eyeball the bike, or have the guy send full all-around pictures of it if that's not possible.  The price sounds like a screaming deal, if it's in good shape... proabaly 500 or so off of bluebook for the year.

<!--EDIT|RandomNickname
Reason for Edit: "Replacing my dumb with factual accuracy"|1114486454 -->

The original tires would have been Bridgestone BT056's
wink.gif

Most of the directions that are supplied with pipes claim remmapping is not needed, but also state that HP gains are there to be had if you do remap. My '03 ran fine without a PC at first, but after adding it the bike is quicker with better drivabilty. A custom map will improve it even further. Bottom line- it will run fine without a PC, but the PC's are on the market for a reason.

is this something i just plug in and go or do i have to have it custom programmed?
From their site:

"The Power Commander can be ordered preprogrammed with a your choice of several settings, based on the modifications to your bike. The unit also comes complete with software and cable link that allows you to change between different maps or make adjustments to a map file."

You can basically find all of the info as far as applications and such at http://www.powercommander.com

so i have been looking for a used busa that last few weeks.  my bike is sold and they are picking it up this weekend.  so i found an 03 with 1400 miles on it.  it has a full micron exhaust.  so here are my questions:

if it was beat on and not broken in easy would that be a problem?  obviously you take the chance when you buy a used bike from someone you dont know.  i have read that some actually do drive it hard during break in.

i asked him if it was remapped since it has a pipe.  he said no it isnt need with micron exhaust its more for sound then performance.  is this true?  does the exhaust sound good?

and last what should i look for when checking out the bike?  what are hte orginal tires they come with?  just want to make sure it actually has the mileage he is saying.  is 7500 a good price for this bike.  says it only has 1 small scratch.
If the bike is 03 and has already put in 1400 miles on it, you dont have to worry much on it. But I do suggest that you check the tyre wear, and also the frame and the front forks... just to elimitate the possibality that the bike has been used for stunting!!

If he has a full micron exhaust, then its recomended that He has a PC3 installed with a custom map. Though not having it, will not screw up the bike... but will definetly not be a pleasure to ride!!

I got a european varient of the Busa, and it came with Bridgestone tyres... im not sure what is the make of OE tires for the US varient.

I feel 7500 is an ok price, but I suggest you do look at the bikes service history... just to make sure that it has been looked after well.

I hope that helps...

Back