Lookin for a new bike

HyperTitan

Registered
I come here in desperation guys. From what I've seen this is the place to go for busa advice. I have already read the post warning of making a busa your first street bike. But I cannot help myself. I've fallen in love with this thing and I want it so desperately..haha. Before I ask for advice I'll tell you that I don't have enough motorcycle experience worth mentioning so we'll just assume I have none. I've already signed up for the local classes and I've also got a friend that already owns a busa that is willing to help me. I'm here for additional advice. I always wear my helmet. I don't even feel comfortable without it. Anything you guys have to add would be great. When i do get it I'll try and get some pics. From what I see the pics are a must. Or even try to talk me out of it. I've tried and tried to talk myself out of it but I just can't.

seeing a post like this still makes me cringe... I know I'm not your dad, so I don't really know what to say. I get the impression you're bright enough to realize what you're doing isn't recommended. I wish you luck... you're gonna need it. .. gonna try to get some sleep now.. big day at work tomorrow, (I'm a mechanic at a Suzuki dealer)and I'm pretty sure the last few parts have arrived for the near-totalled 07 hayabusa I'm working on.... peace brother

I know what the consequences are for being stupid on a busa. In fact I had a very close friend that was killed on one 2 yrs ago. Wasn't wearin his helmet, going too fast and a car pulled out in front of him. Believe me I've taken everything into account. And I live in a fairly low populated town where I can pretty much avoid all main roads untill I'm comfortable enough to venture out. Which I fully intend on doing. I really don't wanna sound like an ass or nothin, but I'm looking for advice not someone telling me a horror story. Heard em and seem em myself. I do appreciate your concern, my mom wasn't too thrilled about the idea when she found out what i was doing either haha

gotpm.gif

so you dont have it yet? looking? you came to a good place for advice. you may get some mommy advice too but not everyone has your experience and noone here knows so PLEASE take no offense to any.

but go for it. just be easy with throttle as long as you know your limits. which is far less than the bikes. BABY STEPS. NO SHAME IN ASKING ANTHING. nobody here cares what you dont know. ASK AWAY!

i'm waiting till the weather clears up a little around here before i make the leap.  Just spent an hour talking to the suzuki dealer today about it. I don't really wanna buy a brand new busa and have it sit in the garage for another 2-3 months.

Oh and I'm 24...didn't mean the mom comment to make it seem like i was too young.  She still tries to protect me, I've grown used to it..

I really don't wanna sound like an ass or nothin, but I'm looking for advice not someone telling me a horror story.
hey man .. I'm sorry too if I came off like an old fart tryin' to bust your stones.. just been riding on the street almost 30 years..it's dangerous out there,even on a normal bike,which the 'busa is not... that, and because of my job, I get to see the worst of the worst.....maybe I tried too hard to make that a point.............. you take 'er easy and be careful..

I took no offense really man...and to be honest I can't say that I wouldn't say the very same thing if I was in your position.

you sound wise for 24! hope you get good deal. keep eye out for used ones. alot of times you get good mods at someone elses expense and deprisiation. your not in a hurry, that puts the deck in your favor. take the time to look for steals IMHO

For only being 24 I've been through and seen too many things that are the result of someone being stupid. I have been stupid in my life as I'm sure we all have. I'm just glad I was lucky enough to live through some of those stupid moments and learn from them. And I do appreciate the responses. Everyone so far has been helpfull and the attitudes are great. It might make me stick around here for a while
laugh.gif

Sounds like you are screwed. You have the bug to buy a busa. Once you have that desire, most of the time, no other bike will do. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, live in a low populated area, and have respect for two wheels(not just the busa). I say get one. Just please be careful. Word of advice, have the dealer install sliders for you before you pick her up. Low speed drops or even falls off the stand can cost thousands. The good thing about the busa is its manners. She will be nice and gentle when ridden in that way, but flick the wrist and it will be a demon!

gotpm.gif

Would it be out of the realm of possibility to get a used bike (of anykind) to start learning?  Just some time to get used to the shifting and maneuvering of the bike would help out before making the jump.  If you have your heart set then good luck and we'll be here to help, but you should truly think about getting something to practice.  Glad you are taking the MSF courses and wearing a helmet, but you also need the rest of the protective gear.  Let us know what you decide to do.

My friend is actually tryin to get his wife to sell her gixxer600. It's a nice bike and I'll probably end up with that for a bit if she decides to sell it. I made the mistake of sitting on the new 08 busa and i fell in love. And the dealer is a pretty good friend of mine from the quad days and he's helpin me along with or without the busa...haha.

Well getting another smaller bike would be the best choice to start with. Believe it or not a Katana is a good bike to start with if you know you are going to get a busa some day. The reason I say that is the fact that the two bikes have simular weight. The busa is easy to handle at speed but it is the low speed turns such as in a parking lot and what not that can cause problems. Once you get her off balance and she starts heading over you have to be pretty strong to keep it off the pavement. If you must get a busa as a first bike just make sure your right hand stays attached to your brain. If you go for a new 08 I would suggest staying in C mode and taking it slow and easy till you get a feeling for it. You said that you have signed up for classes which is the best first step to take, they will teach you the basics of shifting and turning and such. As for gear, a helmet is a must but dont forget the rest of your body. Look around and find a good jacket and check into some reinforced jeans like DragginJeans and some good boots at least, remember road rash hurts. After all of that and you get the busa i would say first off to get some frame sliders on it, they can save a lot of damage if you do lay it over or drop it at low speed. Ok now onto riding. I would say to take her to a large parking lot for some low speed turns and a little shifting just to get used to the feel and weight of the bike. Practice this whenever you can, even experienced riders still do this. After you feel comfortable with the bike I would say to take it out to a deserted road and go for a ride perferibly with a friend. Remember that the sense of speed on a busa is like no other, you may think you are going 40 but you may be doing 70. One of the most important things to remember as a new rider is to ride at your own pace, many people crash trying to keep up with more experienced riders and end up riding beyond their ability. Your friends may tease you a little about being slow but it is better than wrecking a new busa and hurting yourself. Another good tip is to move the throttle slowly in the first couple of gears, too fast and you will be looking at the sky before you want to or even know it. Ok that is all I have for now. Remember to take it easy at first and get a feel for the bike, if you feel uncomfortable riding fast or going through turns just DONT, and most important WEAR ALL OF YOUR GEAR!!!! Dress for the crash not the ride. Oh, post pics when you get it and have fun.  
beerchug.gif

Back