Longlasting Hayabusa?

BusaMan29

Registered
Hey all!

I just got my new 2003 Hayabusa about a month ago, my first bike, and I was wondering how long can I expect the thing to last. I mean, is a bike like a car in that if you take care of it and do all the scheduled preventative maintenance it will last a long time?? If so, how many miles can I expect to get out of it?? I have about 3000 miles on it already in the first month that I've owned it. I'm sure that rate won't last but at the same time I'll have a whole lot of miles on it after the first year. I've heard that motorcycles don't last like cars. Meanwhile, I have to say the first month owning the Busa has been a blast!! I know that maybe it wasn't the smartest thing buying a Busa for my first ever bike, but I'm 29 years old and more mature and responsible and so far I think that has paid off for me. Without getting cocky, I'm proud to say that I haven't had any close calls so far but I haven't tried anything stupid either and I don't intend to. I've seen some really cool wheelies and all that, but I won't be trying any of that for a long time if ever. I can have loads of fun on it without doing all that crazy stuff. Also, I'm about ready to take the road test for my endorsement, I have my permit already. I've heard that sportbikes aren't a good idea to take to the test especially larger ones. Any insights would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

I have heard plenty of preconceptions about sport bikes. Stuff like, "Oh, race bike engines last only one race," or "10K miles on a bike?!? That's crazy talk, man!"
sarcasm.gif

Almost always, it is someone who has never owned a bike and has never even ridden one.
sarcasm.gif

The engines on these are very well designed and relatively low maintenance. I am almost up to 27K right now on mine and know people with over 40K already. Get a service manual, do the work yourself (it's easy, there is not much to do and you can screw up a lot less yourself than some dealer techs I have known).
thumbs-up.gif

sarcasm.gif

keep in mind the busa is four years old. Busafied just hit 40k on his busa, and all is trouble free. I think a busa is built so well, it can outlast the rider, LOL.

Congradulations on your purchase. Not my pick for a first bike but to each his (or her) own. The fact that you have 3000 miles to your credit and no hospitalizations says alot about your maturity (or luck).

Concerning the dreaded road test. I started out riding when I was essentially 15 on a Yami XS 1100. Most of the road test went well except for the cones, which you have to weave in and out of. They spaced them so close that I argued I couldn't walk through the course much less ride. Didn't win any points with the DMV. Went back the next week riding a dual sport 125cc (or maybe 250, can't remember) and passed without incident. That was 16 years ago and much has changed since.

Not sure about your state but here in NC if you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course the DMV waives the dreaded road test. It is a great course and no matter what your skill level more education never ever hurts, crashes do. Its fairly cheap, might lower your insurance (especially on a blacklisted bike), might waive the road test and might save your life. It's a win, win, win situation. Chris

I took the test on a 79 KZ400 and had some trouble with that little bike, cant imagine doing it with the busa. Take the MSF course and they should waive the test. Expecially being new to bikes it would be a good idea. Takes a weekend and you will learn tons of stuff. Glad you like it!

Well, if you take care of the bike it should last a long time. I had 73k miles on my 93 GSXR 750 with no major problems and just did the regular maintenance. I have a mechanic that I trust which is very rare, he took care of my bikes for ten years and is now taking care of the 'Busa.

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the bike. Just keep in mine that stupid happens very fast on the Busa. As for the road test if you can take a smaller bike. When I traded my CBR 600 in for the Busa it had over 30000 miles on it with no troubles.
Jim

63k on my GSXR 1100 and I raced it Dragged it road her pretty hard most of the time. But I kept up on the maintenance etc I sold her and as far as I know the guy is still riding her. My GSXR 750 had 42k and was on its sescond motor though. The 88s where known for grenading. My fault though it had a noise and I thought I could make it home. That last blast threw the gears blew the connecting rod out of the front of the case. Lucky I didnt go down all that oil everywhere..... Second motor was an 87 GSXR from the track ran awesome better than the 88 motor more power and all

Most modern motorcycles, anything after about '80, will last as long as you take care of it. I've known guys that have put in excess of 100K on Honda VFR's, ST1300's, Pacific Coasts, and are still riding them. This is my first suzuki, but I'm sure as long as you take care of it, it'll last as long or longer than any of your cars.

The Problem with the sportbikes and getting your endorsement is the serious lack of stearing lock.  I wheeled my old GSX750 behind the DMV and immediatly started laughing to myself, the course looked like a moped course...  It was so small and so tight that there was no way to navigate the little turns, I was practiacally sitting on the swingarm with the thing layed WAY over and there was still no way to make the first corner.  

Here's an Idea either take the MSF course (if your state accepts it as qualification) or find a SMALL nearby town that has a DMV, the smaller the better, usually the little town ones do not have any sort of course available.   I took my bike down to Loveland Colorado and was told to ride around the block.  The tester watched me ride around the block then he made me do a U-turn and park.  Dead simple...

Hey all, thanks for the good tips and info. Relieved to hear from some experienced bike owners that my Busa is built for endurance as well as speed and performance!

I will definately look into the MSF course as I can see that from reading a lot of the posts on here, that that is a high recommendation and hopefully I can learn a lot from that let alone maybe get a waiver for the dreaded road test by taking the MSF course.

Great web site with lots of info and material and I'll be sure to visit often. The Hayabusa, great bike and I'm glad I got it!!

Back