Long Vs. Short Exhaust

ScottC

Registered
Could you tell me what advantages a Brocks Short Meg has over the longer pipes they offer for the Hayabusa?

Thanks guys.

The longer the pipe usually the quieter it will be, the shorter will make a little more power(a little), as a rule of thumb.
Unless you do any type of racing and need every hp you can fighting for hundreths of a second, then buy the exhaust you like the looks and sound of the best.
Ballpark numbers are 1 to 2 hp for any slipon mufflers, and you won't notice that.
Full dual or full single exhaust will get you around 10hp.
Tuner, dyno, and exhaust brands will all vary within a couple hp, but these are realistic numbers.
Brocks makes great stuff and you can't go wrong with them.
The short meg is not excessively loud either. Their Alienhead sounds awesome and is quiet at low rpm, but you'll hear it for a mile or two when you open it up.
I have a full dual Akrapovic with no dyno tune, and the improvement in throttle response and power is very noticeable.
I put the baffles back in the muffler tips too, and it's very quiet, the way I like it.
Your best bet is to find an exhaust you like the looks of, then go to a track and try to find one there. Hearing it in person is much different than any youtube sound clip.:beerchug:

The longer the pipe usually the quieter it will be, the shorter will make a little more power(a little), as a rule of thumb.
Unless you do any type of racing and need every hp you can fighting for hundreths of a second, then buy the exhaust you like the looks and sound of the best.
Ballpark numbers are 1 to 2 hp for any slipon mufflers, and you won't notice that.
Full dual or full single exhaust will get you around 10hp.
Tuner, dyno, and exhaust brands will all vary within a couple hp, but these are realistic numbers.
Brocks makes great stuff and you can't go wrong with them.
The short meg is not excessively loud either. Their Alienhead sounds awesome and is quiet at low rpm, but you'll hear it for a mile or two when you open it up.
I have a full dual Akrapovic with no dyno tune, and the improvement in throttle response and power is very noticeable.
I put the baffles back in the muffler tips too, and it's very quiet, the way I like it.
Your best bet is to find an exhaust you like the looks of, then go to a track and try to find one there. Hearing it in person is much different than any youtube sound clip.:beerchug:

thanks sixpack

You forgot the need for backpressure on the busa.The longer cans like a yosh 4into1 RS-3 will have the needed backpressure over a brocks.That said, most exhaust headers are close in power and the cans make a little power but vary in sound.My tuner said for the most gains throughout the powerbands and efficiency, backpressure is needed.I run a shorty tip now similar to a voodoo and the builder claims it retains the needed backpressure, its loud and I lost a little bottom end but the bucking stopped at lower speeds and it screams up top now.Preference and what you can afford it what it comes down to.I think the busa needs a good exhaust over stock.

You forgot the need for backpressure on the busa.The longer cans like a yosh 4into1 RS-3 will have the needed backpressure over a brocks.That said, most exhaust headers are close in power and the cans make a little power but vary in sound.My tuner said for the most gains throughout the powerbands and efficiency, backpressure is needed.I run a shorty tip now similar to a voodoo and the builder claims it retains the needed backpressure, its loud and I lost a little bottom end but the bucking stopped at lower speeds and it screams up top now.Preference and what you can afford it what it comes down to.I think the busa needs a good exhaust over stock.

Please explain that to Brocks.
Ask them why his exhaust "doesn't have as much back pressure as a Yoshi RS3 and that the Busa needs back pressure".
You make it sound like Brocks makes a less powerful or inferior exhaust.
There are alot of riders and tuners that will disagree with that, with dyno proof and hard numbers(and lots of wins) from drag racing and LSR...with a Brocks exhaust.
You either misunderstood your tuner, or he doen't understand it either.
The loss of bottom end you have is a direct result of your tip(s), and the "bucking" has stopped simply becuase it's that much less responsive in the low rpm's now. You also have LESS backpressure now becuase the exhaust gas is exiting sooner and the pressure cannot build up as much. You basically have a stock header with no midpipe or muffler.
Back pressure is caused when one cylinder is firing and then the next. The next exhaust pulse helps push out the one in front of it, as does the next pulse behind it.
The length, bends, and inside diameter of a header, and midpipe and muffler(or lack there of) helps regulate this flow according to what the exhaust designer finds the engine needs.
Hence one exhaust, like the RS3, makes good power. The next exhaust, a Brocks, makes more...yes, more.
Even if it is only a couple more hp or lb ft of torque(which hp is measured from).
Brock found more power here and there and made the changes in his exhaust to accomplish that.

As said above, ALL full systems make somewhere around 10hp at the wheel when tuned well. Some may make 8, some may make 12. 10 is just a good ballpark number, the tuner, dyno, and exhaust will determine if you make a little less or a little more.
A little more, like Brocks makes, is what you NEED if you are trying to go as quick and fast as possible.
If you don't seriously race, then buy the exhaust that looks and sounds best to you.
Tips are for looks and sound, and nothing more. If all you had to do was run straight headers(aka, just tips), then every top racer would just remove their mufflers and midpipes or buy a header only.:beerchug:

I seriously doubt that there's any back pressure issue with a Brocks Pipe. Sorry but if you do the research you'll feel pretty foolish about buying a Yosh if performance was part of the equation. I don't think there's a difference between the short and long megaphone pipes as far as sound and performance, maybe a little difference in weight. I bought the short for appearance reasons. I have had no issues with mine. It's your money and a lot of money to me, so my advise is to go to there web sites and do the research. None of them will harm your bike, but you will find large differences in performance and sound / noise. It's all on their websites.

Thanks for the replies...

About going to their websites... I never believe what a business says, I go to forums or type in (Brocks reviews) for example. You get a better understanding and feedback from those who own and have tested them (Unless they are on Brocks salary lol)

Thanks for the replies...

About going to their websites... I never believe what a business says, I go to forums or type in (Brocks reviews) for example. You get a better understanding and feedback from those who own and have tested them (Unless they are on Brocks salary lol)

I understand what you're talking about but these guys seem to be very honest about their products. They know they'll get hammered on the net for misleading, and they are very customer oriented. Yosh even states you might lose HP with one product. You can believe the major players anyway.

No I didnt say brocks makes less power.I said it doesnt have the backpressure like a yosh with a long can on it.The yosh is engineered for suzuki.I was on the dyno the same day with a guy with a brocks and I made more power consistently thru the powerband with my yosh 4 into 1.I didnt even say the yosh was better or worse.I merely said it has the needed back pressure that supposedly the busa needs to run effeciently.Not saying it really needs the backpressure.My tuner states the backpressure is needed.I dont run a stock header or midpipe hense I said a yosh 4 into 1 with a long can on it.I am looking to get a brocks alienhead myself because I like the sound and the look.That being said, not trying to step on any toes, its your money and buy what you like.

please explain that to brocks.
Ask them why his exhaust "doesn't have as much back pressure as a yoshi rs3 and that the busa needs back pressure".
You make it sound like brocks makes a less powerful or inferior exhaust.
There are alot of riders and tuners that will disagree with that, with dyno proof and hard numbers(and lots of wins) from drag racing and lsr...with a brocks exhaust.
The loss of bottom end you have is a direct result of your tip(s), and the "bucking" has stopped simply becuase it's that much less responsive in the low rpm's now. You also have less backpressure now becuase the exhaust gas is exiting sooner and the pressure cannot build up as much. You basically have a stock header with no midpipe or muffler.
Back pressure is caused when one cylinder is firing and then the next. The next exhaust pulse helps push out the one in front of it, as does the next pulse behind it.
The length, bends, and inside diameter of a header, and midpipe and muffler(or lack there of) helps regulate this flow according to what the exhaust designer finds the engine needs.
Hence one exhaust, like the rs3, makes good power. The next exhaust, a brocks, makes more...yes, more.
Even if it is only a couple more hp or lb ft of torque(which hp is measured from).
Brock found more power here and there and made the changes in his exhaust to accomplish that.

As said above, all full systems make somewhere around 10hp at the wheel when tuned well. Some may make 8, some may make 12. 10 is just a good ballpark number, the tuner, dyno, and exhaust will determine if you make a little less or a little more.
A little more, like brocks makes, is what you need if you are trying to go as quick and fast as possible.
If you don't seriously race, then buy the exhaust that looks and sounds best to you.
Tips are for looks and sound, and nothing more. If all you had to do was run straight headers(aka, just tips), then every top racer would just remove their mufflers and midpipes or buy a header only.::

GREAT POST!!!!!

No I didnt say brocks makes less power.I said it doesnt have the backpressure like a yosh with a long can on it.The yosh is engineered for suzuki.I was on the dyno the same day with a guy with a brocks and I made more power consistently thru the powerband with my yosh 4 into 1.I didnt even say the yosh was better or worse.I merely said it has the needed back pressure that supposedly the busa needs to run effeciently.Not saying it really needs the backpressure.My tuner states the backpressure is needed.I dont run a stock header or midpipe hense I said a yosh 4 into 1 with a long can on it.I am looking to get a brocks alienhead myself because I like the sound and the look.That being said, not trying to step on any toes, its your money and buy what you like.

A simple misunderstanding then:beerchug:

please explain that to brocks.
Ask them why his exhaust "doesn't have as much back pressure as a yoshi rs3 and that the busa needs back pressure".
You make it sound like brocks makes a less powerful or inferior exhaust.
There are alot of riders and tuners that will disagree with that, with dyno proof and hard numbers(and lots of wins) from drag racing and lsr...with a brocks exhaust.
The loss of bottom end you have is a direct result of your tip(s), and the "bucking" has stopped simply becuase it's that much less responsive in the low rpm's now. You also have less backpressure now becuase the exhaust gas is exiting sooner and the pressure cannot build up as much. You basically have a stock header with no midpipe or muffler.
Hence one exhaust, like the rs3, makes good power. The next exhaust, a brocks, makes more...yes, more.

As said above, all full systems make somewhere around 10hp at the wheel when tuned well. Some may make 8, some may make 12. 10 is just a good ballpark number, the tuner, dyno, and exhaust will determine if you make a little less or a little more.
A little more, like brocks makes, is what you need if you are trying to go as quick and fast as possible.
Tips are for looks and sound, and nothing more. If all you had to do was run straight headers(aka, just tips), then every top racer would just remove their mufflers and midpipes or buy a header only.::

GREAT POST!!!!!

Thank you sir, glad you liked my ramblings:laugh:

Hummm, my pipe has very little back pressure and when I bolted this one on I gained an additionsl 150hp. (Well the turbo may have also helped :poke:)

dumps3.jpg

As a rule of thumb, a short pipe will give better "PEAK" hp so your looking at running up near the redline to detect it. If your dragracing then its important, if your a street rider then you will rarely ever see the higher possible hp a short pipe can deliver.

The best way to decide on a pipe for your busa is to go to a busa gathering where you can see, hear and talk to the actual owners of the pipe in question. Yosh, Brocks, HMF, and Muzzys (best bang for the buck and great sound IMO), all make quality pieces.

IMG_1966.jpg

Your dump pipes probably provide very little to no back pressure but that snail shell probably does :laugh:

Back