long trip tomorrow, might have some trouble....

TommyGunn1300

Registered
going on a 500+mile ride in the morning and as i was cleaning the bike up and checking everything over i took the chain and moved it side to side when i noticed that the sprocket moved as well. not good! so i kept looking at it and notice that the sprocket and the whole housing on the wheel has alittle play in it. you can take the sprocket and move it foward and back and it has play as well. i have no idea how long its been like this but it makes me worried. i dont want to be stranded 300 miles from home. i really dont want to cancel my trip because i already have off work and with the weather getting cold, this could by my last long trip of the year. any suggestions? could it be a wheel bearing? gear or spline tore up? i fiqured i would just keep a check on it and if it got worse, drive it to the nearest suzuki shop. the bike has 14k miles on it

should i be worried?

is normal.. there are rubber bushings (cush drive) that can get pretty sloppy and still keep going... deep breath, relax and enjoy the trip.. :)

you can change them at the next tire change and not worry a bit until then.. there will not be any "breakdown" or failure"

is normal.. there are rubber bushings (cush drive) that can get pretty sloppy and still keep going... deep breath, relax and enjoy the trip.. :)

you can change them at the next tire change and not worry a bit until then.. there will not be any "breakdown" or failure"

thanks!! ill be able to sleep tonight now :)

+1 Just some play in the cush drive...after your trip or when you do your next tire change, check out the rubbers :beerchug:

Post pics, we like pics... :)

oh and looking at your sig pic? get your azz off the seat a bit more.. you got her leaned over really well but you are pushing your luck.. leathers, pucks and form will insure you of a long riding career :)

Post pics, we like pics... :)

oh and looking at your sig pic? get your azz off the seat a bit more.. you got her leaned over really well but you are pushing your luck.. leathers, pucks and form will insure you of a long riding career :)

yeah, that was my first time really taking any turns like that. but im hooked! :laugh: i've been practicing getting off the bike more, i think i have it down but i want to get a full suit before i go all out and try it. i didn't reliaze how far over the bike was till i seen where it scratched my paint on the lower part of my side fairing and ate the metal down on my peg.

i'll post pics for sure :)

yeah, that was my first time really taking any turns like that. but im hooked! :laugh: i've been practicing getting off the bike more, i think i have it down but i want to get a full suit before i go all out and try it. i didn't reliaze how far over the bike was till i seen where it scratched my paint on the lower part of my side fairing and ate the metal down on my peg
yea a lot of guys (myself included) initially get hung up on "lean angles" and killing the dreaded chicken strips.. problem is that it creates some really nasty habits..

Get some track time with some good coaching.. The very first thing you will learn? "how much you did not know"

odd as that sounds, I was pretty ignorant of all the nuances of riding fast and safe.. (really is possible) TufBusa got on me hard enough I took the dive and got serious about learning and I wish I did this 20 years ago...

+2 on this
i got a set from smithabusa $57 shipped got them in 3 days, once installed i could not believe the difference :thumbsup:

Last edited:
+2 on this
i got a set from smithabusa $57 shipped got them in 3 days, once installed i could not believe the difference :thumbsup:
those would be the urethane replacements... stock rubber units run about half the price but do not last near as long...

+1 on the upgrade :thumbsup:

Back