Long distance

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey Busa buddy's, what would you recomend for a used 2nd bike for long distance touring for 2 up? I would probly like a Goldwing or a Roadking, however $ are gonna be a factor.
Can maybe spend only about $5k. Anyone ever had a Honda Silverwing or Pacific Coast? Or maybe I'll just get a pair of risers and a Corbin seat for the busa... hmmmm. However the mrs. doesnt like riding sportbikes... hmmm what to do...
1zhelp.gif
1zhelp.gif
1zhelp.gif
rock.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

Man I really don't know...Haven't gotten to that cross road of like yet...But I thought I might have to make a move when my back went out...I'ld say Goldwing...
smile.gif

My '01 is set up for touring, but not 2-up. You can forget the Roadking for $5k. Maybe an ST1100, it looks like it might fit the bill...

Let us know what you get...

5k will you get you a nice kawasaki concours,has older ninja engine in it,budget tourer,hasnt changed for years,low maintenance and parts are available

I've had a concours and even though it's long in the tooth, it does a pretty good job.   Even doing the maintenance yourself is pretty easy, including the valve adjustments.  Just a simple locking nut and screw setup, no shims to worry about.  I put 35K on the bike in 3 years.  It will still run about 130mph and it has a 7.5 gallon gas tank.  Your butt will get sore before you empty the tank.  They will run 110 or 120 mph all day long, and purr the whole time.  They can be some work in the twisties due to their weight and high center of gravity.

I had a friend with a Pacific Coast, and those things are unbreakable.  Not to mention, it has the most incredible trunk you've ever seen.  I've personnally put two cases of beer and two bags of ice in one and still had room to spare.  Can't beat that!  It's not very quick bike, as it has a 800cc vtwin with probably 40 hp, but it never breaks.   I know people in HSTA that have put more than 100K on these bikes.   I know people that have tried to kill them and couldn't do it, and I'm not exaggerating.  Also, it's purely one of the most comfortable bikes around plus it handles like no 700 pound scooter has a right to in the twisties.  We used to call them Vespas from hell.  They will do about 110 wide open but it takes a while to get them up to speed.

Lastly, you can also get older ST1100's for a pretty good price as well.  Extremely comfortable, not real fast, but good torque and handles extremely well in the twisties for a 700 pound bike.  Has a 7.4 gallon gas tank so you can ride all day on a tank of gas.   Only negative, they are deceptively quiet(no engine noise and no wind noise), to the point that you will forget how fast you are going and that 700 pounds will catch up to you in downhill twisties.  I've seen a lot of guys low-side on these due to this little quirk.

Hey Busa buddy's, what would you recomend for a used 2nd bike for long distance touring for 2 up? I would probly like a Goldwing or a Roadking, however $ are gonna be a factor.
Can maybe spend only about $5k. Anyone ever had a Honda Silverwing or Pacific Coast? Or maybe I'll just get a pair of risers and a Corbin seat for the busa... hmmmm. However the mrs. doesnt like riding sportbikes... hmmm what to do...
1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

rock.gif
Real nice bike that is not a lot of dollars is a Kaw zrx-1200 very nice for touring lots of add ons. Lots of guts for what it is. Still one of the best buys around. Also the Katana you can find some nice used bikes.

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

The Suzuki Intruder 1400 is a good bike, comfy and handles well. Anything for long distance touring should have a huge windscreen, huge seats, lots of luggage space, and interstate footpegs. I'd probably go honda, they make good long distance stuff.

I would say a Busa with Hard bags, Corbin seat and back rest and some riser bars. Busa..the obvious choice.

Hey before you buy anything check out the Kawasaki Concourse, which you could get new for about 8k a used one for about 3 or 4. and it comes with hard bags and has gotten good reviews over the years for both dependability and practicality.. It aint a Gold wing or a roadking but at half the price it get you around the Island

you want a kick ass touring bike........you want shaft drive, you want handling, you want abs and you want power..............you want heated grips..........you want comfy ergos......your talking the BMW K1200RS.......................I have one and it's my best overall bike....................

Back