Long Distance Riding - are vibrations really a problem

These girls def have a "vibe spot." Mine is around 4300 RPMS (about 82-83 MPH in 6th). You can feel it coming, intensify, and then subside as you rev through this RPM spot (by 90 MPH in 6th, it's pretty much gone). It's easy to avoid vibe side effects by simply not riding in the vibe spot. I can cruise all day long at 80 MPH (6th gear) with no worries. There have been times however where traffic forces me to either ride between gears, or around the vibe spot RPMS (in which case I have noticed some vibe sensations in the foot pegs).

D

There is definitely an increase in vibration around 4.5K, but I kinda like it.

Then again, I put my phone on vibrate, put it in my pocket, then call myself constantly.

The 4500rpm vibe spot sounds common. Even my Harley has that same spot just not at 4500rpm. Doesn't sound to bad. Proper gear sounds like it will take care of it. Same on my current bike. Good gloves, thick sole boots. Floor boards come with dampers though.

I've been doing a lot of reading about how the gen 2 hayabusas start getting intense vibrations in the handle bars and seat when the bike gets up to 85mph or so (right at touring speed - for some). Does anyone else experience this?

My gen 1 busa felt fine at these speeds.

Nothing wrong with a good vibrator on your seat :whistle:

I have the same problem right at 5k or so. I don't spend much time there anyway. I do have gel in my gloves but all that seems to do is pintch a nerve and make my hand go numb. Also I find at 70+ I the wind holds me at a nice angle, I just have to remember to duck when I come up on a Semi. The alternating Shedding Vorticies (what makes a flag wave in a wind) are enough to make my bike wobble a bit.

What's touring on a Busa like? Seems there would be a lot of weight on the arms. Does the air push you back to take the weight off your hands?

If you are riding that bagger and go to a Busa you'll be in for quite a shock. I have a friend with an Ultra and ride it occasionally and its much more comfortable than my Gen 2. Its like sitting on a recliner and the fairing and lowers do a great job of blocking almost all of the wind.
Does the wind take the weight off of your wrists? Yes it does, but the wind blast is very strong to achieve that and some people don't like it or can't get used to it. I personally like the wind hitting me as I feel like I'm on a motorcycle and not in a car. Combine that with the Busa's power and its almost like a narcotic but It's not for everybody.
See if you can get a ride on a sportbike of any size or displacement to see if you like the expierience of it before you trade your Harley in on one.
I've been riding for almost 40 years and wouldn't ride anything else and am on my 6th Busa. I may be the exception though as most riders my age like a cruisers comfort and don't like the speed of a busa. I however like an adrenaline rush now and then and a touring bike just couldn't do it for me.
Your Harley would be a great bike to take a long trip on though as I liked it better than a friends Goldwing I used to bum a ride on. If you decide on a Busa.....get a Gen 2 as they are quite a bit better in the handling, suspension and braking department. I'm not even going to mention the top end power hit that they now have. It's a real eye opener.

Back