Lojack, Scorpio the way to go?

84Ninja

Registered
I am deciding on security for my '99 Copper. I currently have a Gorilla alarm and a Rottweiler 7' cable lock that will go around a load-bearing concrete post. It will be kept in my garage too. The Gorilla doesn't have the pager for if somebody is messing with the bike. Should I go ahead and get the Scorpio with paging alert to be on the safe side? Lojack is a consideration, but maybe since its an old bike I shouldn't be this paranoid? Thanks if you can give your opinion,

Kurt

Bike security is a personal issue. How comfortable are you with how you have things secured? I have the paging alert, but I also don't park the bike in places I'm not comfortable.

LoJack is like a cell phone. If it has signal it will work. So check and see if it cover all of your state.

You are not being paranoid at all. Keeping your 'Busa safe is a priority. The Gorilla alarm is alright, but not having a pager is a negative. The Scorpio alarms, including the latest generation have a pager, and that works great when you are on the go. The cable lock is a great deterrent, but like any security device, including alarms, it can be defeated.

I think that the cable lock, anchored to a concrete pillar, and an alarm with a pager would be the bare minimum. The LoJack is a smart option as it will help find your bike, and possibly the friggin' thieves. BEFORE investing in the LoJack, contact them, AND local and surrounding law enforcement agencies to see if they are part of the recovery program. If they don't have the equipment to read the transponder, it's useless.

A similar option to LoJack are the GPS based locating systems. I actually like the idea of being able to locate my bike 24/7 in real time. If it gets stolen, I can find it, and I have the option of recovering it myself
guns.gif
or calling the police.

The LoJack, and other GPS systems are fee-based. Once you invest in the hardware, you will have to keep making payments for monitoring/subscription fees. I suppose the measure of their worth is your peace of mind. Should your bike ever get stolen, you increased your odds at recovery tremendously. The one variable that makes me pause and reflect is can I recover my bike before it gets destroyed, parted out, or otherwise abused? Also, after someone violates your bike, would you really want it back, or would you rather call it a loss?

No matter what, it's great that you are taking the security of your 'Busa seriously. One of my riding buddies didn't, and now he's without a 'Busa.

Ride safe!

I would just get a alarm with paging alert. I think anymore than that is kind of overkill.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I just got a scorpio alarm and I need the charger for the remote. Where can I find a charger only?

I run a Motorsport Security Business. Contact me at bvonaschen@yahoo.com for security questions. Lojack is an antique device. I have info on a unit that is the latest tracking. GPS no monthly fees, Money back guarentee and more details to those that want info. Security is a personal choice. My 42nd bike, an 04 Hayabusa was stolen. For years I believed it wouldn't happen to me. I was proven wrong. If a thief tries to get my 03 anniversary Edition they will have a real bad day because I can track it real time. I will hunt with a prefered weapon.

If you already have the Gorilla alarm, I believe you can purchase the 2 way pager separately that can be added to your existing system. I think its around $80. check ebay or anyplace that sells Gorilla alarms.

Tourbusa if the Bad day happens please let me in on the fun of helping get it back, I would love a little payback, and then the violating of civil rights will begin...Amen! It would be real hard to steal another bike with all those broken bones and aerated torso's...

Thanks everybody, very much!
shake.gif

Roadthing- Thank you for the voluminous and informative response! I'm looking into LoJack cost before I go with it, but it sounds good. I am intrigued by the live-time GPS trackers, that might be an option too, Thanks again!

Paderolis- At one point I thought I had lost $6,000 to a genius craigslist scammer. IF he would have scammed me it would have been the most intelligent one I've ever seen! Everything is fine and the transporter will be picking it up next week.
drools.gif
Will keep you all posted. Thanks for your reply.

Shvl- Thank you very much, I didn't know this. Looking into. You may have saved me $250!!
shake.gif

shake.gif

I always thought Lojack was the way to go but the new GPS self tracking units sound real good too. How many people though would really go get their bike back themselves without the cops. You could be in for trouble if there are more of them than you or if things turn violent. It sounds fun to talk about street justice but I think I would take the cops just to be safe. You know, for their own good. LOL

I run a Motorsport Security Business. Contact me at bvonaschen@yahoo.com for security questions.  Lojack is an antique device. I have info on a unit that is the latest tracking. GPS no monthly fees, Money back guarentee and more details to those that want info.  Security is a personal choice.  My 42nd bike, an 04 Hayabusa was stolen.  For years I believed it wouldn't happen to me.  I was proven wrong.  If a thief tries to get my 03 anniversary Edition they will have a real bad day because I can track it real time.  I will hunt with a prefered weapon.
schweeeet

Tourbusa if the Bad day happens please let me in on the fun of helping get it back, I would love a little payback, and then the violating of civil rights will begin...Amen! It would be real hard to steal another bike with all those broken bones and aerated torso's...
Ha hah ha! to all those that are concerned about my safety if a thief believes he has more right to my property then I. Do not worry, 7 tours in Iraq. I am prepaired to be out numbered. the pretty ribbons on my uniform are not just decorations to look at. There is meaning and to those in the know a record of experiences. I will likely handle a theft attempt of my bike in the nastiest way the thief would ever have experienced. Thieves are not expecting the owner to show up within 10 feet of the bike carrying a cannon.

Now seriously, The company offers a 24 hour recovery guarentee. Call the cops then call the company. They will work together to accomplish the recovery. That is if it ever stolen. The tracking feature allows me to record a ride for future reference, check on my baby while at work, on vacation or tooling around in my truck. I can call my locating device with my cell and get an immediate text message as to the whereabouts or I can log on to any web access computer and track it now. Not to mention I can move it to any vehicle I wish. It is registered to me not the VIN of a vehicle like Lojack.

This is really the best thing offered for theft recovery. With the tracking options, I find I sleep well even on the road. I can set a digi fence and get a text on my phone as well as an email that the unit has left that geo fence. I reviewed lots of options in the 3 months it took to replace my 04 Busa. I was impressed enough to buy it, and shortly thereafter invest in it becoming the only dealer and certified Installer currently in South Texas.

Security is a choice, I sit on my bike to watch TV in the front room when I am home. When I am out on the bike, not an issue. When I stop for lunch or go to a movie or wherever I may leave my bike, I do not worry anymore. Research and a little money offers me some comfort. But that is me.

just eamil me for info. MOGO is not available in stores. I have just opened this past year my business called Southern Motorsport Security. With your city, I can either get you in touch with a dealer/installer or I can get you set up if there is not a dealer in your erea. bvonaschen@yahoo.com. "GPS?" in Subject

Lojack does not charge a subscription fee. Problem with GPS is that it can be defeated by puting it in a building. Lojack does require that your local PD have the equipment to track it and even if they do, if you don't realize it's gone for more than 24 hours and the theives have disconnected the battery, its backup battery will be drained.

Well, I know some GPS units that are based on Cell Phone signals charge a fee, this unit is supported by 24 Military satelites and backed by 2 major cellular handlers. There is no monthly fees. The 24 hour theft recovery guarentee is there for a reason.  I can find my bike within 10 feet inside or out.  I guess I haven't tried to park it in a building without doors and windows.

I see my bike before I sleep and when I am awake in 6 hours, ride to work, I am a MSF Rider Coach so it is in plain site and the movies are only 2 hours long.  This unit is good for three days off Bike power.  I have tested it. Besides I get a text and email if the unit senses low power.

Sure, I could still be a victim of theft, but I do not have to be the fastest guy running from the lion, just faster than the other guys running from the lion. The idea is to protect my shyte with layers that will make my ride a harder target. It is also protected with a paging alarm system and when in public, Cable locks, and the steering head is always locked. The choice for security options is exactly that, a choice. I hope, and that is a wierd emotion to have over a inanimate object, that I never have to deal with another loss of my property to any thieving bastibitches.

I have a GPS based unit and even when the bike is parked inside a parking garage or inside my garage I can still track it.. And anyways if the bike moves with or without being turned on it starts to ping tracking every location its at. So even if lets say they go into some building where the GPS cant track, you have atleast a last point of contact...so you have an area to search...

Back