Lockwire

herooo

Donating Member
Registered
I need to lockwire the bike to make it pass tech for the track. Never done this before, and to be honest I'm a little apprehensive about drilling holes in a perfectly good bike.

Anybody have any experience and /or tips to pass along?

I picked up a set of wiring pliers yesterday. They work great except it is hard for them to clamp two wires well and then spin.

Just did on front caliper bolt. Looks O.K. Used three 1/6 bits to drill through it though...I have lots of extras, but going to take a while like that.

Bolt heads that are dished, or have like a rim around the top; Can I just drill through one edge and be legal??

Thanks for links^^

Can I just drill through one edge and be legal??
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is how my axle bolt and pinch bolts are wired. Just make sure you have the bolts torqued down and mark your spot BEFORE you remove them and drill them. It's easier that way.

It's easier if you remove the bolts and put them in a vise or something to hold them while you drill. Drill press is even better. I did both of my racebikes in a drill press and only used 3 cobalt bits.

Eighteen 1/16 bits and halfway done...:(

Switching to 3/32 from here on in. This is taking forever!

what kind of bike are you wiring?

My 01 Busa.

It's going to be the only track prepped / ridden, saddlebag cruising, take the wife for a ride, twistie road, personal cruise missle out there. Damn I love these bikes!

Just found out I can silicone some of the fluid hoses. Bonus.

Have a brand new set of PP's, ZERO miles on them.  Got to get out for a ride tommorow before the track (tomorrow night) to wear them in.    Any tricks /tips instead?

<!--EDIT|herooo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152586771 -->

The track events I do usually dont require it unless we're racing club like WSMC or WERA. I'm gonna do it this winter anyways just to make everything on the safe and secure side.

LOL! safety wiring is a #####. I have no real advice. Drilling through the corner is okay. Also some times instead of trying to go through at an angle, you can come from the top and side and make like a 90 in there, the wire will still go through. You will clean out all of the local stores of small drill bits, and even though its probably too late you will want to spend 100 on some good pliers. Ones that wont mark up the wire or break in your hand making you need stiches.

Back