Lock up-Why a billet inner hub?

dabeechman

Registered
I am looking at the need of a lock up clutch. I can make my own lock up as I have done it for my other race engines, but my question is why do all the manufacturers require the purchase of a billet inner hub as well?

lockup2.png

not all of them require it
there is rpm and a few others who offer the lockup without needing that
its due to the height and style of the center hub as to why they would requite it
and interesting design you have there

Thanks, so it is more of a clearance issue than anything? One of the main reasons this type of locker was developed was to fit under stock clutch covers. Can't promise I can fit in in the busa yet, which is why I am just asking questions right now.

In this design the weighted balls are on ramps and as engine rpm increases, the balls swedge down against the pressure plate and create additional clamping pressure. I can remove balls to soften the "hit", or I can even add heavier balls like tungsten to give it additional clamping pressure.

very nice
my ? would be when you go up to more power would the balls and plate handle the the higher power setups
i have a machine shop and this type of stuff always interest me

I can get over 800lbs of clamping force with this set up, which is at least double of any other setup that I have found.

As a disclaimer, this is for a sand rail. I probably wouldn't advise it for street racers as the adjustability is minute and you guys require a certain amount of tunable "slip".

I have a set up like this on my 200hp/130lb-tq banshee that 60's in the low 1.2's on dirt which is about a tenth off of a record setting funny bike pass. So it holds very well, but in DIRT, not on a surface that requires slip.

not bad
but with some of the lockups i work with the clamping force is well over 1000 lbs
its all in the design

i have writen a formula to help with the calculations of clamping force and lockup rpm settings

Those numbers are with banshee/250r applications. A streetbike system would be considerably more clamping pressure due to the added size of the pressure plate as well as the increase in rpm.

Last edited:
Nothing interesting yet, haha. But maybe in a few months we can talk.

If you want interesting, you should look at the topic I started last year on the chain to belt conversion that I did on my sand rail. It would take out a 630shb chain in an afternoon. So I set out on the task of converting a chain driven busa to a belt driven busa, complete with a reverser. Really good conversation piece.

...I can make my own lock up as I have done it for my other race engines.

...Nothing interesting yet, haha. But maybe in a few months we can talk....

Having a 200hp/130lb-tq banshee that 60's in the low 1.2's on dirt from a 350cc engine sounds interesting to me.

Being able to make your own lock up is also interesting to me.

My good man, I never said it was 350cc. :whistle:

This one is is a 760cc banshee with aftermarket cylinders, billet cases, full billet clutch assem, billet transmission from Robinson, and a motec systems exhaust (fast and the furious reference :laugh:)

I'll try to find you a picture, but thanks for the compliment. Definitely a kick in the pants.

My good man, I never said it was 350cc. :whistle:

This one is is a 760cc banshee with aftermarket cylinders, billet cases, full billet clutch assem, billet transmission from Robinson, and a motec systems exhaust (fast and the furious reference :laugh:)

I'll try to find you a picture, but thanks for the compliment. Definitely a kick in the pants.

:rofl::rofl:

Back