little ride to Antietam battlefield with military bike club

sportcustoms71

Registered
went on a ride with the local military bike club yesterday. we rode about 2 hours to Antietam Battlefield from Marine Corps Base Quantico. was a good ride except for going around the curves like a grandpa because of the harleys:laugh:
Just a little history on the battle if you don't know....September 17, 1862 could have been the war that ended the civil war, but ended up being one of the bloodiest of that time. here is a link to give you more info, hope you enjoy the pics. Battle of Antietam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia me being the history nut that i am, its really sets in what our forefathers fought for.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

cool pics, i'm going to make it there one of these days...if you haven't read it yet, you might want to check out Landscape Turned Red by Stephen W. Sears

That's great . Thanks for sharing the pics of a very historical place .

One note though.
Us 'suthern bwoys' refer to it as the Battle of Sharpsburg :)

That's great . Thanks for sharing the pics of a very historical place .

One note though.
Us 'suthern bwoys' refer to it as the Battle of Sharpsburg :)

haha corn bread fed and raised here:thumbsup: speaking of cornbread....man some corn bread and pinto beans sounds good right about now, sorry fat kid moment. i grew up in the south, been all over the world being in the Marines, but nothing beats that southern home cooking....how's the bike coming?slowly getting her back together i see, i have extras so just let me know, i might have what you need....

haha corn bread fed and raised here:thumbsup: speaking of cornbread....man some corn bread and pinto beans sounds good right about now, sorry fat kid moment. i grew up in the south, been all over the world being in the Marines, but nothing beats that southern home cooking....how's the bike coming?slowly getting her back together i see, i have extras so just let me know, i might have what you need....

Thanks for asking and I don't want to divert this special thread with a long response so suffice it to say parts are ordered and within a week or so she'll be back to normal . :thumbsup:

Some pulled pork BBQ or maybe deep fried catfish would be good with that cornbread.
Don't forget the collard greens and maybe a pickled onion as well 'sah' :)

Thanks for asking and I don't want to divert this special thread with a long response so suffice it to say parts are ordered and within a week or so she'll be back to normal . :thumbsup:

Some pulled pork BBQ or maybe deep fried catfish would be good with that cornbread.
Don't forget the collard greens and maybe a pickled onion as well 'sah' :)

yes, not to divert from the thread hahaha :whistle: virginia has so much history and would make any history nut drool. back on topic though, it makes you think what they went through back then...miles and miles of humping then to a battle to which they were certain to die in soon as they topped over the hill...most were kin folks and some even brothers.....me being a Marine, i've been through hell and back, which most us have, but i couldn't imagine being a soldier back then...

I grew up in TN just a few miles outside of Nashville close to Franklin.
My aunts boyfriend at the time owned property where part of the battle of Franklin occurred and we used to find musket balls and all kinds of stuff there . There was even a tree that the guy who owned the property had xrayed and it showed a cannon ball inside of it .
I did some civil war re-enacting when I lived there as well .
Yes the Civil War is something almost all but forgotten these days .
Ken Burns' series is something I think should be part of what kids are taught in school .

wow thanks for sharing, brings back memories, being that my mom and dad are from the hills in Virginia my dad loved Civil war and Revolutionary war history he took me to many of those places, i will have to ask if we ever
have been there.

Oh and by the way for you ghost chasers out there, sunken road at the Battlefield is supposedly one of the most haunted places.

Last edited:
Back