list of most useless and costly mistakes on purchases for your busa.

jch364

Registered
I was thinking the other day when I ordered my rearsets of what were the worst purchases I have ever made for my busa. Then I wondered what everyone else did. So I thought that I would post this up and share and ask everyone else to share. THis way we might be able to save someone else some hard earned cash and save them from making the same mistake. so her are mine. cost and why it was stupid.
1. the worst was Two brothers slip ons. $600 +. Waste of money. The bracket in the back kept breaking because of vibration. cheap metal. No hp advantage. didnt know that back then. The only thing good was the sound was better than stock.
2. tank bra. $30 or so I think. Kinda scratched the tank over time. Got stomp grips and never looked back.
3. some stupid led lights. $140 or so and it was worthless and looked really stupid. I cant wire a battery so it was a waste for me.
4. stupid looking flame stickers. about $50 or so ... Im embarrassed to even admit to it... reason should be self explanatory.
5. cheap version of a chain breaker. I dont remember the price.
6. Throttlemiester. $100 For me anyway. just didnt like it. Cramp buster does well enough for $10
7. Suzuki chain wax. $14 or so. It was like coating your chain with molasses. gunked up like crap. sling everywhere. pulled the front sprocket cover off and it had a ton of this stuff caked up every place. Took an hour to clean it. Switched to belray and never ever looked back.
8. I bought a besteem windshield for about $. It was the biggest piece of crap. Never even fit. Couldnt fit.
9. Just about anything off ebay.

I figured out very early on that I wanted to put money into performance not bling. I thought I like bling but after thinking about it for a while I realized I didnt. So my focus was performance. And quality parts. The biggest thing I learned overall was to spend the money and get the right part that is a quality part. Spend the extra on it. THere is a reason its cheap. Never go cheap on your bike. You only have 2 wheels. Failure is not an option.

So whos next.?

Haven't bought too much in the way of accessories that I didn't really like. Not too much for bling either - just want something that works - not just something to look at. My best purchases have been Tsukigi Canon exhaust and 12 O-clock technologies speedometer corrector. Also dyno tune.

Worse: PCV and Autotune, rear fender eliminator, rear hugger that wore through when I went to a 190/55 tire
Best: GP Tech respring and revalve suspension, Galfer SS lines and EBC HH pads, Bosch fuel pump, Woolich and Innovate WB,

Worse: PCV and Autotune, rear fender eliminator, rear hugger that wore through when I went to a 190/55 tire
Best: GP Tech respring and revalve suspension, Galfer SS lines and EBC HH pads, Bosch fuel pump, Woolich and Innovate WB,

Excuse my ignorance, but why was the rear fender eliminator one of the worst thing? I like the way mine looks now. U getting spray or something? Just curious.
Thx,
Troy

1. I would say the piles of headsets I tried over the years. Carlo Scala, chatterbox, 3-4 others then I tried the AutoCom that was pretty good but they would not improve it. Now the SENA is pretty much what I have been looking for, quite happy. Only spent $1K getting there though!
2. OEM cans and suspension. Why can't a dealer just replace that garbage so we don't need to waste money on them?
3. HID lights. I know everyone swears by these but the truth is the PIAAs I now use are just as bright and the high beam actually works in the reflector without surgery.
4. I also have a PUNIG hugger in CF that looks great but was chipped up by a 55 tire.
5. Frog Toggs, which I discovered are only good for a quick shower. Ride in the rain for an hour or two and the rain comes right through them.
6. Throttle locks. Tried them all and finally went with a true cruise control.
7. Soft luggage. I must have 15 bags I have worn out.
8. Cheap helmets. I'll leave it there.
9. Seats. Nothing wrong with the Suzuki Gel Seat, used it for years. But the Corbin is something all together superior - wish I had gotten it right from day one.
10. Slipons. Waste of money especially with two exhausts.

On my Gen II there is no need for the eliminator. Just unbolt the stock rear fender, put the bolts back in and make a little bracket to hold the plate.

I learned the hard way on impulsive ebay buys. Bought a lot of crap I never installed. Looked great in the pics but cheap crap when I got it in hand. Also bought a carbon fiber splash guard I though would be a good idea to help keep things clean. Would have worked if the darn thing fit.

Gotta say for me it was the Dyno jet products. Bought a pc3, ignition module ,quick shifter ,hub ,map switch etc. you name it I had it and all it did was clutter up my trunk with a bunch of frail azz wires and connectors. More trouble than it was worth. Seemed like something was always acting up or inconsistent. Heard the pc5 stuff is better but I won't go down that road again :banghead:

Well the PCV is a good solid product Busa1 but the Autotune is sort of questionable. I logged a few miles of data but never altered the map. Pretty much just catching a free ride in the trunk!

Can't think of anything that didn't work for me. But I am not into bling, and when it comes to everything else, I am very conservative.

One thing comes to mind, "tank slapper" and "stomp grips" didn't work for me - both in turns, and in straights. In turns, it would hold me for a moment, but my thigh would often slide, so I couldn't trust that thing. In straights, I was sliding back when accelerating no matter how I gripped the tank with my thighs. So, for turns... well, you know... and for straights, my search brought me to Modell's Sporting goods store where I simply got a yoga block, cut to shape, wrapped in nice black tape, attached to the front of the hump with two long bolts - and man, oh man, how planted I am now on any acceleration (even with the turbo) and my hands are so relaxed.

Stock seat is just fine, even for a full day of riding. I change my position often, may lay down on the tank occasionally.

Throttle lock works great for me, although I don't use it too often. When I do, and traffic is light, I would sometimes take my hands off the handlebars and spread them like wings, and ride like that for 10-15 sec - to the amazement of an occasional driver. BTW, this is an interesting exercise to feel how the body movements affect the bike's steering. It's like Keith Code's no BS bike. So, if the bike starts drifting into another lane, man, it takes some effort and it happens very gradually to veer the bike back.

Oh, Tom-Tom Rider GPS. I got it used, and it worked OK for some time. I particularly liked that I could send/receive text messages via the GPS with my gloves on and without taking the phone out (it paired with the cell phone). But that thing started faltering. Customer support was useless. And eventually the thing just died. I think I sold it for parts for like $20.

BTW, love ebay. Bought tons of stuff from there. I'd say, 97% of the time it's all good. Just gotta research, read carefully, check the feedback. Vast majority of sellers are good folks, and simply want your business. Also, nowadays, most sellers ship a lot quicker - often on the same day, with the majority shipping on the next day.

Dynabeads. Everything else I've spent $ on has been top notch, but I've paid for it. Good products cost!

Yikes, I cant say I've really bought anything that I regret as of yet.. but I have only had it 18 months.. Clutch mod to come.. we shall see!

-D

This is quite marginal in comparison, but, when I bought the bike, it was without the solo cowl. Bought one from Yana Shiki, horrible fit, horrible color. Then bought oem....like i should have in the first place.

I tried to put a full grown deer inside the headlight. Wasn't to costly, actually made money, but still a bad idea I don't recommend it to anyone.

Back