XXX-Large

Registered
On the later/limited models, are they restricted to 186 TRUE or
186 DISPLAYED
rock.gif

ie. is it gonna be SHOWING 186 or ~200
rock.gif

is it the speedo DISPLAY that's optimistic, therefor the ECU
is looking at TRUE, or is the ECU getting the optimistic figure??

(186 DISPLAYED must be ~175-ish ?? )

[YEAH, I know ALL ABOUT the "search" buttons........they SUCK ! !]

ps. I'm about 75%-Busa v 25%-ZX at the moment....
"DING DING Round 5"

rock.gif

Moved here so it would get some attention... I think it's a good question.

I am pretty sure that the ECU reads true while the speedo remains enthusiastic. I do know that a stock post Y2K Busa, will go more than 175MPH though, I have confirmed 188MPH on my riding buddies GPS, at sea level on a long bridge (8 miles), so it even makes the 186MPH limit sort of suspect.

That damn needle on the speedo hits that stop peg awfully early though, it's well buried early into the run and the bike is still pulling hard, just confirms that the speedo's are completely whacked at the upper end...

Now if some of you high speed guru's can explain to me how to keep your chin on the tank at those speeds I would be most grateful...

there was a cycle world issue i was reading on the 02 busa, zx12 and the xxhawk comparison. the zx with with speedo restriction actually did 186 while the busa did 184. with the XX fallin behind at 175. now i dont know how they obtain these numbers or if its even actual speed but i know i read it in black and white. they did mention the only down on the busa as being 2 miles slower than the zx when both with speed restriction.

Double check this but I believe the busa lock is on the ECU and not the speedo. The guages can be changed out and a yellowbox added to correct the speedo. Also for about $50 you can buy a TRE that will eliminate the top end restriction on the Busa. So if you are deciding between the Busa and the Zx-12 pick the one you like most. Because for less than $150 you can change out guages and eliminate the topend restrictions on either bike.

My advice 5yrs years of challenges, upstarts, and hoopla and the Busa is still king. Check the Record book, and then you can go back to Cycle World and find out that even TODAY the Busa is still quicker than the 12 and its still faster than the 12. I think I still have tha edition if you need to read it over
cool.gif

of course. they did the quarter mile run between the 2 bikes, cycle world again and i dont remember which issue. the busa came out a lil better than the zx in the quarter. but i could have sworn they had the zx 2 miles faster (top speed) than the busa, both stock. but i believe the cycle world guys was also stating that this was only in stock form.

Dang it.... I'm just going to keep believing that I have gone 175 even though it is probably only 158 or whatever. I can tell you one thing, it felt mighty fast to me...The way I have it figured, I now just have to go faster to go faster. (this would be called "Arkansas reckon-ing")
all_coholic.gif

Since the TRE that bypasses the speed restriction is making the changes to the ECU's info and not the speedo package, It should be the ECU that manages the restriction directly. IMO
smile.gif

nothing to do with the speedo question. but isnt it true the zx motor is just about all build up as it could be while the busa motor is just getting started with potential.

On the later/limited models, are they restricted to 186 TRUE or
186 DISPLAYED
rock.gif

ie. is it gonna be SHOWING 186 or ~200
rock.gif
Last September over a few trips on the M4 (and slower roads), I got these numbers.  (See below)

Left column is the top speed I let the bike (03 model) get to for around 10 seconds, right column is what the GPS recorded.

I've also seen 180.1 on the GPS, again the M4 and it was at 186 really early in the run.  The revs just kept rising.  Didn't hit the limiter, it was 2am, dark, just after Membury services (and those daylight curves in the car at 100 are 'interesting' bends at that speed).  At night you get the added fun of Dutch trucks full of tulips in various lanes.

If I had a 220 mph speedo and no GPS, then I would have been doing over 200.  Bugger!

The data isn't that great.  I'll probably do it again soon and do it more scientifically.

Since recording the speeds I've added this TRE mod to a switch on the dashboard.  (Either pretends it is in 5th, or lets the gearbox tell the ECU what gear it is in)  I've honestly noticed no difference at speeds up to 150.  But if I've the guts, I might change it over at 180 plus.  (It also decides to wheelspin on wet roads in the first 4 gears with the switch on or off)

mph gps
0 0
10 10
20 20.1
30 29.6
40 38.2
50 47.3
60 56.7
70 66.6
80 73.1
90 84.3
100 92.7
120 109.6
130 116.9
150 136.3
180 161.1

Just a thought about the ZX12.  How long are your legs?
The Hayabusa suits shortarses like me :-)

Also with the specs, the Hayabusa will get to 186 quicker than the ZX12 even if both are restricted.

All this nonsense about bikes limited to 186 only doing 184 or going amazingly quicker at 188.  What a load of b...ocks.  Basically +/- 1% accuracy.
So ignore that and ask yourself, how often are you going to got flat out in London?

And the true speedo reading on mine is taking the mickey.  Basically, above 100 and the speedo is not legal.  It's >10% in error.  But how do you approach Trading Standards and explain it, without ending up in jail? :-)

Steve

rock.gif

the busa's top speed is controlled by the ecu. the zx-12 can be bypassed by simply disconecting the speedo cable... but then u can't tell how fast your going...but the cops can.
smile.gif

Hey SteveK  I got your Bollocks right here...
crazy.gif
 I saw what I saw, thought it was interesting.

So why not take your Busa out, find a nice 8 mile straight across a bay twist it till it stops and hold on until you ping off the limiter, then tell me what your max is...  The speedo stopped long ago, so GPS is our only guage.   Do you have a straight road in Ole' Blighty that's 8 miles long?  I don't remember one, but I didn't spend much time in the London area, lots of hedge rows out in the Welsh country though...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076653577 -->

Hey SteveK  I got your Bollocks right here...
crazy.gif
 I saw what I saw, thought it was interesting.

So why not take your Busa out, find a nice 8 mile straight across a bay twist it till it stops and hold on until you ping off the limiter, then tell me what your max is...  The speedo stopped long ago, so GPS is our only guage.   Do you have a straight road in Ole' Blighty that's 8 miles long?  I don't remember one, but I didn't spend much time in the London area, lots of hedge rows out in the Welsh country though...
Let go, my voice is very high pitched at the moment.

But when people are stating as a fact that 186 is suspect. Imagine how much effort/cost it would be to limit a Hayabusa to 186.0 mph! Of course there are going to be variations, but if mine is limited to 300 km/h, then so be it. So 1 or 2 mph either way, well that's quite good if it's simply done on rpm. (The ECU doesn't know what diameter the tyre is, and doesn't know if the road is wet or dry)

8 mile straight, you're having a laugh. And if there is such a thing, it will have a speed camera located every mile. Then there is traffic. Drivers are bad enough here at legal speeds, but who is going to expect the headlight they can see (if they look) is travelling at over 3 miles a minute?

I'll be in north Wales in 2 weeks time. Too many sheep, and the longest straight I've ever come across is less than a mile long, with too many crossroads in it. Quite easy to get high speeds, but not the maximum.

But I'll be in Europe a few times this year. As long as I come across the long straight without soft throw over luggage attached, then the GPS will know all about it. A French autoroute seems favourite.

But at least I am doing my homework by calibrating my speedo rather than just saying what I read. You have to let my balls out of your hand for that.

Steve

I am under the impressiont that the speedo is controled by the computer (being electronic and not cable driven) The ECU has no idea about tire diameter, or pressure or gearing (Yes your tire dia. will change with pressure).

Everyone wants to gear their busa shorter which will drop your top speed (rev limiter will kick in at the same RPM). Want to go faster? Try dropping some teeth in the REAR!

I am curious, there must be some folks out there who have geared the Busa taller...

Does it have the ponies to run up over 200 with taller gears?

SORRY, (again!)

so, we're saying, the Busa is limited ('02 on) to 186 TRUE and
will show ~200-ish on the SPEEDO
rock.gif

Is that right ?

AND, the ZX ? anyone know the TRUE/INDICATED thing with THAT ??

DOes the Busa 'ALWAYS' get to 180 INDICATED faster than the
ZX..... ie it's only getting to 165 faster really ??

OR, do you mean it gets to ~200 faster than the ZX gets to
~190 (I don't believe the ZX's speed is anywhere NEAR as
optimistic.......is it ??)

FatS (= "Boring-Nit-Picker"
umnik.gif
........<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>sorry again !<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>)

SORRY, (again!)

so, we're saying, the Busa is limited ('02 on) to 186 TRUE and
will show ~200-ish on the SPEEDO
rock.gif

Is that right ?

AND, the ZX ? anyone know the TRUE/INDICATED thing with THAT ??

DOes the Busa 'ALWAYS' get to 180 INDICATED faster than the
ZX..... ie it's only getting to 165 faster really ??

OR, do you mean it gets to ~200 faster than the ZX gets to
~190 (I don't believe the ZX's speed is anywhere NEAR as
optimistic.......is it ??)

FatS (= "Boring-Nit-Picker"
umnik.gif
........<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>sorry again !<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>)
The question has been raised about what the speedo will read on the restricted bikes at top end!! If I'm not mistaken, all the restricted bikes also have 185mph speedos. So they will be reading 185mph and pegged out even if the TRE is in place and you are actually going 190!!!!! This is the case with the US models anyway. I'm not sure if Suzuki changed speedos on other country's bikes or not. And for the comment about how much it would cost for Suzuki to restrict the bikes, it would be a lot less than the loss of $$ they would experience if some of the countries wouldn't allow the import of "un-restricted" bikes. my .02

dang its cut at the speedo, havnt you guys topped yer bikes out yet? tuck-n-pin, you will see the tach bouncing at around 10k thats an indicated 186, on my busa that = 177 mph...
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|†WÃ￾§â€ Ã«D
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084169754 -->

XXX-large,

What exactly are you debating?
rock.gif

I don't know what all the above mess is but the bike is limited at a TRUE 186 mph by the ECM which is easily removed by a 10$ resistor.

Have you looked at a 01-present Busa? All the speedo's read 185mph/300kph depending on your country. Not since 2000 has a Busa had a 220mph/360kph speedo.

Since the speedo reads more (than actual) the faster you go, you will see 185/300 indicated before you even go into 6th gear. With that in mind it will peg 185/300 but KEEP accelerating until the ECM stops you at 186mph/300kph!

Since you can remove the limiter, this debate is really pointless!?!? If you are looking at the speedo going anywhere close to those speeds, you aren't going to live long!

Did they just open a new autobahn in England or do you travel to Germany a lot? If you don't travel, I hope you keep your license with all the bugger'n cops over there!

Josh
blues.gif

Back