Lights Out

gsxrpilot

Registered
I recently purchased a used 1999 GSXR1300, Copper/Silver in original condition with 9000 miles. The bike has undergone all recalls for the 1999 Busa.

I installed a ChatterBox alarm (but haven't wired it into the lights yet) and a Power Commander to smooth out the injection. Neither of these should logically affect the lighting system.

My brake lights work fine with either front or rear engaged and turn signals work fine. However, my taillights and license plate light no longer work. I have disconnected the alarm and PCII but they stay off. I have checked the fuses and all seem fine. The bulbs work because the brake lights work. I do have a Busa shop manual and I can trace the electrical but all seems fine. Is there another fuse just for taillights I don't know about?

While I am at it...should the rear turn signals be factory running lights (like the ZX12)? Any suggestions on how to make a quick mod to get them to be running lights?

So what I hear you saying is your tail light (running light) doesn't work? Everything else seems to work fine?

Yeah. The taillight/running light (and the little tag light) are not working. When either brake is applied, however, the brake lights (same two bulbs) work perfectly.

Note: the tag light does not come on when the brakes are applied.
rock.gif

Start with a continuity test on the + wire lead for running lights only! Do you know how to do this?

I'll have to get back with you this evening as I'm still at work..........Shouldn't be to hard to fix.

I purchased the shop manual for this '99 Busa so I am sure I can trace the wiring. As for testing...I'm not that savvy. Any help is appreciated.

gsxrpilot, sorry but I didn't get a chance to come online last night as it was my youngest child's birthday............... If my memory serves me right there should be one common ground and two positive wires coming into the light sockets. So three wires a side, LH + brake, LH + running, LH ground and same opposite side. With the ignition on the running light wire both sides should be hot. Check for continuity common to the running light wires with either a Ohm meter or continuity tester.......... I suspect you aren't getting power here. Best guess is either a short, two bad lights, or a bad fuse. Next, Check fuse and lights. I don't mean visual either......... Sometimes fuses/lights seperate in places that can't be seen so ring it out! Use an Ohm meter and make sure its good........ Do these steps first! Remember to keep it simple (Kis) I'm confident we can fix this without a lot of headache..................Ks

Places to learn about continuity,
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto....est.htm    Read the very bottom of this next article.
http://www.shadetreemg.com/multimeter.htm

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.

The lighting problem came down to a bad connection at the Power Commander (PCII). The PCII installs between the wiring harness and the electrical/ignition box under the seat. One of the connections had come loose so when the PCII was plugged in, one of the pins wasn't connecting to the harness. That one wire controlled the taillight which is wired in with the tag light.

A simple adjustment of the wiring harness fixed everything.

Thanks for all the help. At least I know how to use a continuity tester now!

C

Back