Lightest helmet out there?

nychayabusa

Registered
Hey guys - have some issues with my neck and I'm looking for the best but LIGHTEST helmet around. What do you guys recommend. Also, I've seen some guys riding around with helmets where the jaw portion moves up for city riding. A recommendation on one of those would be cool too. Thanks

A modular helmet is what you are referring to. I wouldn't ride with it up, even in the city. A chin on the pavement at 35 mph is bad enough. In fact, I wouldn't have a modular hemet. Full face all the time for me.

It is important that the helmet fits well to minimize movement on your head and also for comfort. Also consider the aerodynamics of the helmet as the wind can cause some considerable forces at speed.

Those are the modular helmets, pretty mu ch anyone makes them but I personally am Looking at the Bell Revolver and the Scorpion EXO-900 transformer helmet, I think I'll end up with the Scorpion just cause of my GIGANTIC head!!!

If you want a modular (flip up), your'e not going to have a light helmet. All the hinge and locking mechanisms add weight. There are plenty of light helmets out there but it all depends on how much you want to spend. Carbon fiber shells are extremely light.

I personally use a Shark Evoline 2 modular. It is the only helmet besides the Roof boxer that the chin flips completely around to the back of the helmet. You can ride with it in 3/4 or full face mode and it meets safety standards both ways. None of the other modulars on the market are supposed to be ridden in with the chin up.

Wow, I really like that Shark helmet. Found a good video on it.

Any vendors on the board sell this?

If you want a modular (flip up), your'e not going to have a light helmet. All the hinge and locking mechanisms add weight. There are plenty of light helmets out there but it all depends on how much you want to spend. Carbon fiber shells are extremely light.

I personally use a Shark Evoline 2 modular. It is the only helmet besides the Roof boxer that the chin flips completely around to the back of the helmet. You can ride with it in 3/4 or full face mode and it meets safety standards both ways. None of the other modulars on the market are supposed to be ridden in with the chin up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any vendors on the board sell this?

Not too many places in general that sell the evoline or even Shark brand for that matter.

I got mine a revzilla. Did a lot of shopping around first and it seemed the best deal around. Their customer service is great too.

Mine is actually the black version of the wayer (the same one in the video above). I love it. It's only real flaw is that venting on top could be better.

Can not comment on modular helmets - but my NEXX Carbon is very light - fits well - looks good (my opinon) - minimal wind buffet - only complaint is that it is noisy helmet - you will have to wear earplugs -

A light helmet will help but there are other factors that could aid in neck pain relief. One is a helmet with better aerodynamics. I've had probably a dozen different helmets over the years and there are several that helped me more than others. Another factor is wind deflection. Try a higher wind screen too, like a touring wind screen to deflect more air over your head. The absolute best helmet I ever wore for minimal neck pain, and remember, I am 6'-2", was an Icon Legion Mainframe. I used a Puig double-bubble wind screen. That's just me though.

P.

Back