Light weight bar ends ?

Jaglabs

Registered
I bought some chrome bar ends today. I was finally able to get the stock bar ends off, but I noticed that the stock bar ends weigh much more than the aftermarket chrome ones. Has anyone done this replacement. How does it affect handling?

TIA - Joe

I bought some chrome bar ends today. I was finally able to get the stock bar ends off, but I noticed that the stock bar ends weigh much more than the aftermarket chrome ones. Has anyone done this replacement. How does it affect handling?

TIA - Joe

Joe,

What makes you think it will affect the handling?  How could it?  What are you trying to achieve with the handling?

You might find is your fingers go numb (due to increased vibration at certain rpm (less damping)) if you ride it for a couple of hours at constant speed.  (Suzuki put them there for a reason)

Have you noticed the weights under the footpegs?  They are there because they are heavy.  They help to damp vibration so your feet don't go numb.

You could try swapping them for some very light chrome ones so all of your extremities go numb in unison.

Even the handlebars are rubber mounted. All starts sounding like Suzuki engineers knew the engine vibrated enough to warrant these fixes.

Steve

Bar ends with less weight defeat their intended purpose, very light replacements are nothing more than eye candy.

Probably won't make a bit of difference in handling but you will most likely notice more vibrations in the bars. If the vibes are at a certain frequency you may not even feel them, but one or both arms may start to ache.
I used to own a bike that was pure torture between 65 and 70 mph. When I first bought it the sensation was so bad it went up into my left shoulder and I thought I was having a heart attack
smile.gif
Bar end weights would have probably done that bike a world of good.

You guys are brutal.
Kevin,

In what way?

Would it help if either of us added a smiley to the facts?

From where I'm sitting, I've only answered the question.  (I'm a qualified engineer and am currently online to get away from an astro-physics assessment I've got to complete within the next few hours.   Studying that degree for fun generated by the interest in the physics of motorcycles.)

I own a CBR600 and a 2003 Hayabusa (black special UK edition) that is heading for 12,000 miles in under a year and I've not had chance to ride much due to a lovely baby daughter arriving in December.

Hayabusa engines do vibrate, hence all the weights and rubber.  What else could I say?  Even the footrest brackets are rubber mounted to the frame!

Have you felt how light the rear wheel spindle is?  That is somewhere Suzuki engineers could reduce weight, but imagine how they must have felt being forced to add weight to certain areas.

Lots of people say (here) they vibrate around 4700rpm/90mph, so imagine riding for a tank of fuel at that speed when the bars are buzzing.  I agree they do vibrate around that speed and even with standard weights it's not great.  Unfortunately it was the agreed speed on motorways/autoroutes/autostrada on a recent trip I did.  I'll agree a different speed next time.  Oops!

Out of curiosity, how would you answer less brutally?
(Or another way of thinking, imagine how you would feel if I was being brutal?)

At the end of the day, I was just trying to help a fellow Hayabusa rider (and others that might do the same) by pointing out why the weight was there.

I agree with Turbo-Torch.

Steve

I wasn't doubting your facts. It all makes sense, I guess I just take it a little easier on someone that may not know as much about something as I do. If he continues and doesn't listen, then I may get a little more direct.

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089944268 -->

I wasn't doubting your facts. It all makes sense, I guess I just take it a little easier on someone that may not know as much about somethin as I do. If he continues and doesn't listen, then I may get a little more direct.
Hi Kevin,

OK, understood.

BTW, you also come over a little direct in your first message. :-)

But if we were all in the same room discussing this, I'd buy you all a beer.

Steve

You guys are brutal.
Daaang....and I even put a smiley in my post! Maybe I needed the one with the hearts?

Gotta agree with Steve too...I see he hit musta hit the add reply button a few milliseconds before me
smile.gif

Seriously, for anyone doing away with the correct weight bar ends I'd at least suggest gel grips.
I wouldn't mind a set of anodized blue weights but for some reason nobody wants to make them in the original weight.

And I'm sorry but the "carbon fiber bar end weights" crack me up
face7.gif

cool.gif
I tried to find a "group hug" smiley but it doesn't exist. I guess we can all come across short at times. I appreciate all the info I get here. Thanks

I removed my bar ends (replaced by aluminum "eye-candy" just to plug the holes) and removed the foot peg weights--both done for weight savings. Okay, so I'm anal about my bike's weight. I've removed 50 pounds so far. The absence of either weights has not bothered me at all while riding. I don't disagree with what has been said about vibration damping but the difference is just not enough to bother me personally. I do use gel gloves though and shift my riding position often--the same as I did before removing the weights.  
smile.gif
*Smiley added for social insurance...

Back