Lifting Rear End

Clay_916

Registered
Got some 1" lift links I'm still contemplating installing. Might try the 200/55 Q4 first. Does anyone have experience with lift links on this bike running track days or really fast canyon? I understand the basics that the decrease in trail will result in less steering input for a given lean angle at the cost of less straight line stability. I would also be happy with a little more ground clearance.. toes are feeling too close to the ground for comfort at times.

What kinds of suspension set-ups are you track guys running and what are your thoughts? Lift it? Leave it? Give up on tracking a Busa and just get a sport bike?

Raising the rear is less complicated than that. It moves the weight bias from pretty much 50/50 to more front biased. Bike tracks much better. A few of us are running full ohlins front & rear, which provide amazing control, predictabily & and recovery from bumps. The bike becomes very hard to upset.
Gearing depends on the track obviously but 2 up on the rear sprocket is good.

Many are running brembo m4 calipers, some with the Brembo RCS pumps. This is the minimum upgrade for serious riding. A few of us are running the GP4 Brembos which are crazy strong with very progressive feel.

Getting the busa to turn better is about light wheels. CF being the lightest and best performing but forged aluminum are strongest and best for street use IMHO.

Those mods will make a very capable bike that will push most sportbikes on a track. Of course a busa is still heavy and the geometry is designed for stability, which is what it is. But it is a magnificent cayon carver with few peers.

Lift it? Leave it? Give up on tracking a Busa and just get a sport bike?
Of course, lift it! Try it out with the tire you have on now so you can tell what difference the raised tail alone has. Then put your 200/55 on. The 200/55 makes a nice improvement by itself.

I have a thread going right now about this same topic. One of the things that has been discussed is that the rear axle is going to need to be set back a little with raising links if you use a stock length chain and stock sprocket gearing. A few more teeth on the rear sprocket should take that extra chain slack up and I think it would improve performance for canyon riding. I have +4 T on the rear sprocket of my ZX-14 and it is a very nice change but there's nothing unpredictable about it. It's probably the most noticeable mod I've done on that bike. The busa has different sprocket gearing than the Gen1 ZX-14 and I'm pretty sure the busa engine has different primary gearing. I believe +4 T on the busa's rear sprocket would be similar but the busa has always wheelied easier than my 14 so be careful. IMO, going only +2 on the ZX-14 would have been a lot less than I was hoping for. I don't think +4 is something that's going to make you crash. It will lower your fuel economy though. It remains to be seen if the stock length chain will be long enough with a +4T rear sprocket and raising links. I might need an extra link in the chain. It also remains to be seen if a 200/55 or 200/60 tire will have enough clearance with the swingarm when going with +4 T, raising the tail 1" and using a stock length chain.

I didn't feel 4+ on the rear was rideable for the street. It basically made first gear useless. I actually started starting off in 2nd because first went so fast anyway. I suppose if you want to get the front up easier it is good though. There is a reason race bikes have wheelie control. If you are lifting the front wheel you are not accelerating at the maximum.

Super informative replies, thanks so much guys! I've been convinced to install the links and will report back with results. Will likely up the sprocket on the rear as well as I noticed a pretty big difference in acceleration when switching to a 190/55 from a 50. Ohlins is a bit out of my budget, at least for the time being :) but I will certainly have to look more int caliper upgrades. Rear sets are on the list for sure as well. Thanks again guys!

Super informative replies, thanks so much guys! I've been convinced to install the links and will report back with results. Will likely up the sprocket on the rear as well as I noticed a pretty big difference in acceleration when switching to a 190/55 from a 50. Ohlins is a bit out of my budget, at least for the time being :) but I will certainly have to look more int caliper upgrades. Rear sets are on the list for sure as well. Thanks again guys!
If you are talking about going on a track with your Busa, see this thread and get hold of the OP as he has it down to a science...

I actually contacted him through YT a few weeks prior to making this thread haha. He's running full Ohlins and he advised against the lift links.

Back