Lift the Restriction ??????

Which brings up another good question.

Where did they come up with 186mph as the limit. Why not 180 or or 190. just an odd number to stop at.

It is restricted to 300 kph over seas which comes out to 186 here in the states

Which brings up another good question.

Where did they come up with 186mph as the limit. Why not 180 or or 190. just an odd number to stop at.

180mph is the slow lane and 190 is just waaayyy to fast, split the difference and add 1 for good measure.:laugh:

Restriction wasn't placed by the Gov agencies was it. Wasn't it a back room deal amongst manufacturers ??? Not really sure but I hope it stays. Busa record will remain

FOREVER!!!!!

it was a deal amongst manufacturers. i say 55 should be the top speed limit. that, plus 145.:thumbsup:

All it takes is a Switch and the 186 is Gone........:moon:

switch 002.JPG

the restricton made somebody in the government feel special! Just like Floriduh, put on your seat belt or you will get a ticket, but no need for a helmet or insurance on your street bike! So many usless deaths at 20 - 30 mph and maybe more or less speed but you hit your head on concrete and its hard enough is is over, silly I think put on your lid.. I would rather sweat then bleed!

186 is such a ridiculously high limit, why even have it?

No regulation whatsoever is an invitation for the government to fill the void. More and more and more laws every year.

Self-imposed regulation changes the landscape from regulating an un-regulated environment to stepping in and arguing over the reasonableness/unreasonableness of existing regulation. Imagine how absurd that would be? 175 is safer than 186 ... no its not. Just a slippery slope from there. So the big 4 cut off a finger to save an arm.

Looks like BMW with its new 1000 has "broken" that self-imposed regulation. Now a new invitation for the government?

No regulation whatsoever is an invitation for the government to fill the void.

Exactly, the manufacturers became scared that if they did not self impose a regulation then they would be under regulations they could not control.

Also, think about the liability...how fast are the stock tires rated at~?~
What if they make a bike that runs 30 miles faster than the tires (among other parts) are actually rated at and one fails~?~

Just another side to think about...

I have always wondered why they even bother restricting them,guess that means so long as I dont use a TRE:whistle: I'll always be safe. besides that its so dang easy to bypass it and what are they actually capable of off the floor, only a few more mph i would think? ? ?

Guys, be real. I can EASILY see the top end limit coming down in the next decade. The BKing came with a 155mph limit. I could easily see that set as a new limit. Too many morons speeding and crashing. The Police and legislators can get together and limit this at an time. I am amazed that our insurance rates are not triple what they are now. So many bikes get into accidents it is unbelievable. Usually (I know, not always) it is due to reckless driving/speed. That is the problem. I have no idea how to fix it unless they require insurance on all bikes and then they can run up the cost on high powered bikes to keep a lot of the dangerous drivers off of them. No real easy answers. The bike community causes all of its own problems. Idiot riders just like idiot car drivers.......

I'd like to point out that the big 4 were afraid of restrictions in JAPAN. Their gentleman's contract doesn't really carry over to US and European manufacturers, some of the euro manufacturers are going by it as well but some (like BMW) don't give a crap about a restriction meant to stem government interference in another country.

Now does that mean other governments like the US, Britain, and Canada couldn't throw their own restrictions into the mix? Nope, but lets remember that Germany hasn't really had any speed limits for a while so why should BMW be afraid to restrict their bikes when there's absolutely no reason for them to fear the German government's interference?
That means europe and the US (If we had any sportbike manufacturers anymore!) could break that rule until their respective governments start grumbling about the danger.:whistle:

It is restricted to 300 kph over seas which comes out to 186 here in the states

And I also heard it was ::

"The Peregrine Falcon, (ie: hayabusa - japanese Peregrine Falcon ) or sometimes referred to as the Duck Hawk, in North America, is the fastest creature on the planet reaching speeds as high as three hundred kilometres per hour (one hundred and eighty-five miles per hour)"

Last edited:
I have always wondered why they even bother restricting them,guess that means so long as I dont use a TRE:whistle: I'll always be safe. besides that its so dang easy to bypass it and what are they actually capable of off the floor, only a few more mph i would think? ? ?

Just wait, when that legislation comes it will also come with language that will make it illegal to bypass those restrictions..

Restriction wasn't placed by the Gov agencies was it. Wasn't it a back room deal amongst manufacturers ??? Not really sure but I hope it stays. Busa record will remain

FOREVER!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was done because of the fear off the EU banning import bikes over a certain cc size or imposing there own restrictions. So in a way we must thank them

Back