Life in jail

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Canadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash - Telegraph

Tough one, think that was fair?

A Canadian woman who parked her car on a highway to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her car.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

I think its excessive yes. However laws in Canada are different than laws here in the U.S. When I lived in England if you hit a cow that is out on the road, rather than the farmer who owns it being responsible for it being loose, you the driver who hit it will be responsible to reimburse the farmer for the cost of the cow, the cost they put out to raise the cow and all the future earnings that cow could have made for the farmer.

If I am going too fast to stop for a car that is stopped for whatever reason, I am the one that would be at fault. Not so in Canada.

I am very sorry for the loss of the motorcyclist and passenger. No ducks should be worth the loss of anyone's life. To some extent she was being irresponsible I suppose. Stopping for ducks like that, without pulling off the road. But now we are essentially taking the life of a 3rd person if we send her to jail for it.

Involuntary manslaughter I could see. I am just as sorry for the woman, her family and the job that she will have to give up for this if convicted. Now there are 2 wrongs being committed.

It's a sad case no matter how you look at it...I feel so much for the families of those lost.

I think I agree with TallTom on this one - involuntary manslaughter may have been a better charge, and I think I saw Bots post somewhere on FB that perhaps this woman spend some time sharing this story of what her one mistake led to so others can learn what not to do. Her heart was in the right place and I'm certain she never ever thought it could end this way, but that's the message that needs to be shared - don't stop on major highways like this. No malicious intent on her part, so it's hard to imagine her being locked away for life for it. If it were my family lost under these sad circumstances, I don't think I could stand by and be OK with her being locked away for the rest of her life.

so, she brought her car to a stop in a lane of traffic in order to help some ducks that were in the median? she couldn't pull off the road or find a more convenient place that wouldn't put other humans at risk? now, a man and his 16 yo daughter are dead because of it? yes, she should be held responsible and thrown in jail!! what's sad is she had such a lack of judgement and common sense that she has now destroyed a couple families

We , I don't have the whole story, but we have lost all common sense. You don't park i n the road to save wildlife while endangering human lives. Don't know Canadian law, yes here it would have been manslaughter.

so, she brought her car to a stop in a lane of traffic in order to help some ducks that were in the median? she couldn't pull off the road or find a more convenient place that wouldn't put other humans at risk? now, a man and his 16 yo daughter are dead because of it? yes, she should be held responsible and thrown in jail!! what's sad is she had such a lack of judgement and common sense that she has now destroyed a couple families

I don't think anyone's refuting this was stupid, beyond stupid, or that she shouldn't go to jail...she most certainly should, but should it be for life, if it comes to that?

I don't think I could live with myself knowing someone was in there for life, over something so unintentional...I am glad I wasn't on the jury for this one...

Was a foolish decision, with good intentions. Can't forget that someone died due to her poor judgement.

This happened in 2010 and the trial is now. She stopped her car in the left lane of a provincial highway.

Don't know, I absolutely agree that was not a smart thing to do. I have a rough time though putting someone with good intentions away for life, because they were not smart.

she wont get life up here for that, If she is clean I will say she gets 2 yrs less a day and a wack of probation.

meanwhile, the families of the two people she killed have lost them forever...i agree that accidental deaths shouldn't be punished with life in prison but because of her blatant stupidity and lack of respect for the lives of those around her, those two people are now permanently cut off from the rest of their lives...stupidity does not relieve one of the consequences of their actions

how would you have felt if that was your dad and sister or your husband and daughter that lost their lives because she wanted to catch a duck?

clear case of criminal negligence. stop ur car on a busy highway in the LEFT lane to help ducks? really? she's just stupid and as a result of her stupidity and negligence resulted in two ppl now DEAD! she's not gettn life. thats just sensationalism. not gonna happen.

but I hope this sends a message to any other stupid driver like her that if u don't exercise common sense when on a highway where peoples lives are at stake then you WILL be arrested and you WILL be convicted.

and its NOT manslaughter. doesn't even remotely fit. its negligence! manslaughter is the unjustifiable and intentional killing of a human without malice or premeditation. like crimes of passion. negligent homicide is a criminal offense committed by one who's negligence has caused the death of another directly or indirectly.

exactly!

meanwhile, the families of the two people she killed have lost them forever...i agree that accidental deaths shouldn't be punished with life in prison but because of her blatant stupidity and lack of respect for the lives of those around her, those two people are now permanently cut off from the rest of their lives...stupidity does not relieve one of the consequences of their actions

how would you have felt if that was your dad and sister or your husband and daughter that lost their lives because she wanted to catch a duck?

has nothing to do about feelings its about a newspaper grabbing headlines with a story made to make people react,, she was convicted, there will be a sentence but it will not be life. Waite for the sentence to come I know it wont feel fair to anyone involved and anyone who is following it.

Wow, sad situation for everyone involved. I always get a lump in my throat when I drive by at 75mph on a 4 lane freeway in moring rush hour with people standing next to their car just a foot off the road because of a stall or a fender bender. I preach to my family all the time if you are stalled or have a minor wreck get yourself as far off the road as possible! I see people changing freaking tires a foot off the right lane on the freeway in icy road conditions. I mean, come on people, use your head. 3000lbs of steel flying by you 4 feet away at 75mph with a 16 year old texting and driving and you think you are safe? And to stop in the left lane for some ducks?

I think an example need to be made out of her and that is exactly what they are doing. Too bad she has to be the one making national headlines but it will get peoples attention. She will et a few years in a minimum security prison and will make a fortune writing a book about it when she gets out. Hopefully it will save some lives.

I totally agree what she did was wrong and should be punished. But if under different circumstances a car had just broken down in that lane and couldn't have been moved wouldn't the rider of the motorcycle have been wrong as well for not having his vehicle under control to avoid an accident. No matter what happens two families are destroyed by the outcome.

But if under different circumstances a car had just broken down in that lane and couldn't have been moved wouldn't the rider of the motorcycle have been wrong as well for not having his vehicle under control to avoid an accident.

That was my point made. The motorcycle, or car or whatever is supposed to be prepared to encounter these type unexpected things and have enough control and presence of mind to not run into a vehicle they find suddenly and unexpectedly stopped.

If I round a curve and there is a tree down across the road, it is my responsibility to be able to stop in time. I was rear ended in my car by another car because I had to make a sudden stop. She was ticketed, I was not.

Canada may not have the same laws in this regard.

cmon Tom really? have to disagree. in a car you are seat belted in and protected by a cage. at 15 mph you can die in a car crash without a seatbelt. so what do u think can happen on a motorcycle when you come over the crest of a hill and some nitwit is parked in the left lane and you slow down to maybe 30 or 40 mph maybe at best even if u have that much time? ur gonna DIE thats wat happens!

just as you wud if u were cruising down the highway in the center lane and switched lanes to get in the left lane (The PASSING lane) and struck her parked car. how exactly does someone exercise control and suddenly stop when ur doing 70-80 mph on ur motorcycle and switched lanes?

ur ASSuming this was some long texas highway with miles of visibility. highways in canada and here have lots of turns and elevation drops so saying that the operator of the bike shud have had presence of mind have been prepared for this encounter and that some jack-ass wud be stopped in the left lane to cuddle ducks across the road is absurd!

canada has essentially the same MV laws that we do but they are even more strict and the fines are far heavier and they seize cars routinely. they don't play!

and if u rounded that corner and that tree fell 50 feet in front of ur car do u think you wud have stopped in time? no u wud not hav cause u wud not hav had time to react. do u think u shud be ticketed for not reacting in time? ur confounded by reaction time vs. not even being able to react at all cause it was so sudden.

ppl often think that if u rear end someone no matter wat u will be found at fault. that is simply not true. the police do not cite fault. the police cite whether or not state statute has been violated or not. so yes the person striking the vehicle from behind is cited when the person in front of him has stopped for legitimate purposes but that all changes wen the person in front of you is now violating the law and creating an immediate hazard on the road and committing a crime!

that biker was not charged with any motor vehicle violation. the courts decides fault not the police. either by jury or judge. so fault is a combination of many factors including MV violations and criminal acts. her actions were criminal and created this hazard so therefore she is at fault here in the eyes of the court. the bike rider has not violated the following too close statute. there are factors that weigh heavier then his poor reaction time does.

That was my point made. The motorcycle, or car or whatever is supposed to be prepared to encounter these type unexpected things and have enough control and presence of mind to not run into a vehicle they find suddenly and unexpectedly stopped.

If I round a curve and there is a tree down across the road, it is my responsibility to be able to stop in time. I was rear ended in my car by another car because I had to make a sudden stop. She was ticketed, I was not.

Canada may not have the same laws in this regard.

Speed limits are based on visibility. If you are traveling at or under the legal limit you should be able to stop for any obstructions in the roadway. I came over a rise and hit a deer once on a motorcycle. Had I been going the legal limit I would've been able to stop in time. I don't feel she should go to prison, but it was a poorly thought out plan. As an animal lover myself I might try to save animals from being hit too. For someone to say that she should've been thinking about the lives she put in danger just shows you put human life above life in general. Most do. She didn't. It's a bad situation any way you look at it.

I am not ASSuming anything. What I said was, in the U.S., it is the responsibility of the operator of a motor vehicle to be able to stop when faced with an unexpected obstruction in the road. If that is different in Canada I do not know. The article does not state what the road conditions were, or how fast the motorcycle was traveling or really much about the facts other than she was stopped in the left hand lane of a Provincial Highway south of Montreal. Most likely around there those roads are a speed limit of 70 MPH I have been to Montreal MANY times. It is pretty flat around there. Doesn't mean anything to me other than somebody got killed because they ran into the back of a car that was stopped. Was she negligent? Yes. Was it criminal? By definition of the law in Canada it is. However even Canadian courts are struggling because the definition of criminal negligence needs to have an element of criminal conduct. Drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, is what makes it Criminal. This will add a new level to "Criminal" conduct. Stopping for wildlife. So what's next for Canada? Hit the moose in the road and kill yourself to avoid stopping for fear that someone behind you may hit you?

Here if I am the driver of a motor vehicle, it is my responsibility to be prepared for something unexpected, even if it someone else being stupid. It has to be a very extreme and unusual situation, where I would not be at fault if I ran into the back of a vehicle.

If you want to start throwing the word ASS around, be my guest. I'll keep one hand tied behind my back and engage you if you like.

Back