Lid comparo

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
Here's my best attempt at an end user comparison of a Shoei rf-1000 and Suomy spec-1r. The Suomy is brand new and an update may come along as time goes by. I did not attempt the AC vent test, or the run as fast as you can inside the house comparo that loboboy did. I feel true scientific evaluations such as those are best left to the professionals. 
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Both of these lids retail around the same in the upper mid/lower high end helmet market. There are deals to be had on both, but I haven't seen anything close to the one on Suomy Jester had!

Top score here is a 5.  

Background:
I got the Shoei rf-1000 as part of the bike deal and have been about 6000 miles in it. The Suomy spec-1r came yesterday and has about 50 miles in it.

Exterior Finish:
Shoei 5
Suomy 4

I would have to say Shoei wins here.  Neither helmet is flashy as you can see(my taste), but the Shoei seems to have a more flawless finish to the paint. Shoei also has a lot more design and color options. Much to my surprise and dismay I found 3-4 small defects in the paint on the Suomy(dirt/bumps/chips under clearcoat). The overall design of the Suomy is a bit cleaner as it doesn't have the external plastic inlet vents and rear spoiler. The spec-1r adds graphics to the venting system and it blends in nicely (take note Shoei). Graphics on both helmets met my limited expectations (nothing flashy) but the Suomy on the website looks a lot different than in person. The potential color variation is noted on the website and I would suggest seeing one first hand before buying off internet. What I thought was silver is actually white...

Fit:
Shoei 4
Suomy 5

Probably an unfair comparo due to the rf-1000 not fitting perfectly. As I said the Shoei came "used" with the bike and in a size large. It is just a little bit too big on my grape and I still need to replace the cheek pads to snug it up a bit. I got a large in Suomy and it fits like a glove. It was a bit tight at first but is conforming nicely. It goes on tighter than the rf-1000, but once adjusted stays put and feels good. The Suomy shell actually looks a bit smaller than the Shoei. I like the seemingly larger neck roll and padding along the bottom of the Suomy. The interior seems a little more "cushy" too.  Both chin straps are D-ring style, a tab to help release with gloves on, and have a way to secure the excess (big +). The Shoei does have a nice touch with the fabric covering the chin strap.

Visor:
Shoei 4 (fogging)
Suomy 4 (changing)

So far the visor would be a tie. I personally like the detents in the Shoei to keep it partially open at different intervals. The Suomy does not have these but the visor did not attempt to close at moderate speeds when partially open. The biggest complaint I had with the Shoei is the constant fogging. Even with the breath gaurd in place the shield fogged. I have spoken with other rf-1000 owners and it seems we all have same complaint. It does have the little lever to crack the lid open a portion which I find myself using quite a bit. It would fog badly when stopping but was bearable with visor cracked open at speed. I only have 50 miles in the spec-1r and it was in 85* sunny weather so I didn't encounter fogging yet. Visor changing, without a doubt, is easier on the rf-1000. I haven't attempted to change the visor on the spec-1r yet and am a bit apprehensive about it. I will however need to change it once I get a new iridium mirrored one(bling), and may just order the replacement post covers just in case... Both shields are easy to open/close with a gloved hand and seal nicely.  

Venting:
Shoei 5
Suomy 5

Both helmets meet my needs with venting and a tie would be fair. I let interior temp rise a bit and then rode to see how quickly cool air flowed around and was pleasantly surprised. Even at lower speeds both helmets did a good job. The front vents on the Shoei take some feeling around and getting used to opening "on the fly" but how often are you going to mess with them once they are opened or closed? The chin vent is the only adjustable vent on the Suomy and a difference can be felt when it's opened or closed. Both helmet's chin vents seem like they are easily breakable (Suomy more so) and need care dealing with. No noticeable (to me) difference in noise with vents opened or closed. Maybe the Shoei flowed a little bit more air on the very top of the head with all vents wide open, but it was close enough to call it a tie. As an aside, I always rode with the rear vent open on the Shoei so rear adjustability isn't an issue with me.

Noise:
Shoei 4
Suomy 4

I come from not riding since the 80's and a lot has changed since then. I do not remember how loud the old Arai was, but do know it didn't have such venting and was nowhere near as light. I guess it's a trade off. I thought for a upper mid range lid the Shoei was way too loud. I believe now that the ill fitting cheek pads could be where some of the excess the noise may be eminatting from. Once I get them changed out it may be a completely different rating. I  don't ride with earplugs and both lids have tolerable noise levels. The Shoei seems to get noise underneath from the extra fabric around the chin strap where the Suomy gets it from the side shield covers. You can definately hear wind around the top of both interiors but again, it's a tolerable trade off for cool air.

Total score:
Shoei 22
Suomy 22

Of course the above is by no means scientific, and very early in the ownership of the Suomy. Both lids meet/exceed stringent safety standards that can be found on thier respective websites. The weights are comparable and as such I didn't notice a huge difference.
Both helmets are exceptional values and even better when a good deal comes along. Thanks again Jester!
If you want more color choices, a little more ease of adjustability with air flow and changing shields, go Shoei. If you want a little more cushy interior and fog free visor go Suomy.

I don't know, and truly can't say one is so much better than the other. I guess this is why NJ has a gazzillion lids.

So here it is. Take it for what's it worth or nothing at all. I guess I'll use the Shoei when a shield change for lighting is necessary on the road and the Suomy for mostly daylight riding. I really have no idea why I needed a second lid. I guess I can now alternate from one day to the next or even change them when my alter ego does and have one for Hank and one for Charlie.
devil.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155907448 -->

lids.jpg

Dude were you sitting on the pot in thoes pics of the innards of the helmet?
[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

My own comparison is very similar to yours, but I gave the Suomy and extra point for being lighter (less heavy) than the Shoei ... it is a subtle but noticeable difference.

Good write-up, Charlie!

You have that 'Special Edition' Shoei....the one with the US-129 on it
biggrin.gif

**UPDATE**

After having the Suomy for a few rides I thought I'd throw out an update. Not much as far as the comparison has changed. I like the lid. It's very comfie, but I seem to be having problems with the Suomy visors.

I ordered an irridium mirrored finish shield and attempted to install same. The best fit I could get with much playing with adjustment left a 1/8"+ gap around the top of between shield and helmet seal. I contacted Suomy and was advised that the shield I purchased may have lost it's shape. Long story short, I purchased another and it fit much better. Suomy customer care A++ on that one. They returned e-mail in short order and were very helpful. It took some fighting to get refund from supplier, but in end it was done.

I have wiped the bugs off the shield with water as prescribed by manufacturer when necessary having no problems. The other day I immediately noticed the micro-fiber cloth turning black and discovered the mirrored finish was coming off of the visor, leaving it scratched and useless. WTF? This shield is less than a week old, has not been abused, and was by no means cheap. Has anyone had similiar problems with Suomy products?

I e-mailed the Director of Suomy-USA again and he requested my phone number to speak with me. Same was supplied but I have yet to hear back from him and I now have placed two calls to him. I am hopeful he will recontact me and square this away. If he does not, I basically will be eating this shield as the return window has closed, and I have a useless damaged product.

To say the very least I am quite disappointed in Suomy at this point. To be fair I will give them oppurtunity to make it right, but feel it just to let fellow riders be aware.

Any input appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Final update:

Recontacted Suomy and spoke with a rep.. She advised that the database had been corrupted and they lost all info.. I recieved new visor within a week of conversation.

Back