license test

Any instructor that say "you only learned how to ride in a parking lot" is a fool. The course exposes you to the techniques that are needed to ride safely. Counter Steering at 15 mph yields the same result as counter steering at 60 mph... There is no need for the speeds to exceed 17-20mph in the BRC as all of the techniques can be demonstrated and applied at those speeds, thats what makes it easy to do in a parking lot. The skills and techniques you learn in the BRC are the same ones you should apply to any motorcycle. You may have to adjust your positioning a little more but the technique used is the same. Thats why its recomended that you take a BRC first, learn the skills, techniques, and how to apply them first. Then when you start riding you should start practicing the same on your bike.

I am not a professional rider but I am very proficient with the techniques and how to apply them... It only takes about 10 minutes on a new bike (including the BUS) to become familiar enough with the friction zone, brakes, cg of the bike before I can put it through a BRC or State exam with zero points.

Exactly you have almost no chance to pass that test with the hayabusa. Even seen 600cc bikes have a hard time. That test is BS for the size of our bikes. I have skipped this test as well did the MSF course. Borrow a moped, and you can actually make some money. Cause you can charge people $5.00 to use it and trust me......EVERYONE will pay you cause it would be easy to pass on the moped. As someone on here commented about learning skill and all that to pass the test....that is BS too!!!! The test needs to be remade cause I don't need "skill" to pass it with a moped.

As I said before, the reason a rider would "have almost no chance to pass" is simply because they lack the skills to do it. If you are proficient with the techniques than you should have very little problem passing the test.

The ones who ride Busas or other big or medium sized sport bikes regularly are usually the only ones who take it on mopeds and 250's and such cause they can't do it on a bigger bike so they cheat themselves, their just trying to get by so they don't have to hassle with it. The typical person that goes and buys a GZ 250 and wants to start riding but has never riden before will usually struggle... because they too lack the skills. If you can do it something big than you could do it with your eyes closed on something small.

Ummm.....where do you live? Come to Ohio. I will make a wager with you $100.00 (safe bet for me) that you will "fail" the test and you get only one try. Let me know if you are interested. I live in columbus and I will meet you anywhere in the city and watch you try to pass the test. If you pass I will give you a crisp $100.00 bill. If you do not live in ohio nor wish to try to pass the test in ohio. Forever, withhold your tongue ....lol......seriously the test here in this state is unreasonable. I don't care how good your skills are, you can't pass it on a hayabusa in this state.

As I said before, the reason a rider would "have almost no chance to pass" is simply because they lack the skills to do it. If you are proficient with the techniques than you should have very little problem passing the test.

The ones who ride Busas or other big or medium sized sport bikes regularly are usually the only ones who take it on mopeds and 250's and such cause they can't do it on a bigger bike so they cheat themselves, their just trying to get by so they don't have to hassle with it. The typical person that goes and buys a GZ 250 and wants to start riding but has never riden before will usually struggle... because they too lack the skills. If you can do it something big than you could do it with your eyes closed on something small.

Ummm.....where do you live? Come to Ohio. I will make a wager with you $100.00 (safe bet for me) that you will "fail" the test and you get only one try. Let me know if you are interested. I live in columbus and I will meet you anywhere in the city and watch you try to pass the test. If you pass I will give you a crisp $100.00 bill. If you do not live in ohio nor wish to try to pass the test in ohio. Forever, withhold your tongue ....lol......seriously the test here in this state is unreasonable. I don't care how good your skills are, you can't pass it on a hayabusa in this state.

What riding test do they use, did they develop their own? Or do they use the test most commonly used at DMV's around the country... In Florida before they did away with the DMV test it was I believe: 2' x 12' offset weave, 90 degree right hand turn from a stop, left hand U turn (24' for 600cc or more... 20' for under), quick stop, swerve... sound familiar?

What riding test do they use, did they develop their own? Or do they use the test most commonly used at DMV's around the country... In Florida before they did away with the DMV test it was I believe: 2' x 12' offset weave, 90 degree right hand turn from a stop, left hand U turn (24' for 600cc or more... 20' for under), quick stop, swerve... sound familiar?

Nope, not here. I don't know about Ohio, but here in SC it's straight, then 90 degree left then another one then make a U turn. Then the same thing except going right. oh, and the lines you have to ride in are about 3-4 ft apart. Here's a pic of what the course looks like. It might be 4 feet but I don't think so. There are 2 sets of these marks on the course. You make the turns at one, and the U turns at the other. The U turns don't have to be made in the 3 ft sections, but they do have to be made in the 10-12ft section. If you touch the line with the tires you loose 3 points each time, as well as 3 points for every time your foot touches the ground. Those are the first 2 out of 7 sections of the test.

Attachments

• DMV test.bmp
    564.1 KB · Views: 117
+1 on the MSF course. You'll learn some basic skills, plus you get a discount on your insurance for taking it. Don't lose the card they give you for proof of passing the course. Can't seem to find mine and I'm having trouble getting another.:banghead:

Dang I wish I had that test!!! I mean, it seems much more practical.

Yes...the South Carolina test is "almost" ....notice I said "almost" ....unpassable on a Busa. I passed it many years ago on a 250 cc bike and on the same day, my father failed on a 750.....and he had rode for many, many years. The test is very passable on a small cc "cruiser" but on any size sportbike, it will definetly be a challenge. :banghead: As others have said, take the MSF course or borrow a small cc cruiser from someone & it'll be a cake walk.

From Florida DMV.......

Starting July 1, new motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Trainer Program before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license, per Section 322.12(5)(a)., Florida Statutes.

After July 1 of this year, everyone will have to take the class and pass the test, no matter their age. Future motorcyclists will be able to find a Basic Rider Course sponsor or teacher on our website. Upon successful completion, the sponsor will submit the pass results electronically to the department records. Upon receiving the results, the applicant will be processed for a motorcycle endorsement.

As of July 1, 2008 there will be no temporary permits issued by the State of Florida.

From Florida DMV.......

Starting July 1, new motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Trainer Program before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license, per Section 322.12(5)(a)., Florida Statutes.

After July 1 of this year, everyone will have to take the class and pass the test, no matter their age. Future motorcyclists will be able to find a Basic Rider Course sponsor or teacher on our website. Upon successful completion, the sponsor will submit the pass results electronically to the department records. Upon receiving the results, the applicant will be processed for a motorcycle endorsement.

As of July 1, 2008 there will be no temporary permits issued by the State of Florida.

Man, florida has all kinds of screwed up laws. Especially for the 2 wheeled guys.

Man, florida has all kinds of screwed up laws. Especially for the 2 wheeled guys.

Thats probably the best law to pass in years... Too easy to walk in to a dealership and buy a bike with absolutely no clue as to what you are doing or how to ride. At least by coming through a course first they can see if they even want to ride. I know a few people who went out and bought a bike then struggled for awhile on their own before going through a course only to realize they didn't enjoy it at all.

Back