letting busa sit

It all depends, but I assume it probably won't get below freezing there, that helps alot. Start it at least once or twice if possible. If it does die, it should roll or jump start and be recharged and safe to cut off again in about ten minutes. Keep it full of gas too, that keeps out as much moisture as possible.

The battery should charge up to max withing a fwe minutes for sure but if the battery is old, it may discharge very quickly. Hot weather causes batteries to discharge fast and cold weather also drains the battery.

I have recently let my 08 sit with it's original battery in place for over one month inside of an unheated barn. A good number of days/nights with 20 F temps outside. Took 2 crankings but she started fine. Clock was way off so I imagine there was some battery discharge.

Best thing to do is spend $40 and get yourself a nice battery charger. If there is no electrical outlet by your bike to plug such a charger in, I would just remove the battery and keep indoors. A dead battery is no big deal but a frozen battery that busts open and leaks acid all over could cause some real damage....not to mention you would need to replace the battery.

Last edited:
Starting your bike in the cold will cause fog to form on the oil sight glass which indicates to me that condensation has formed. The condensation will not form if you ride the bike but if you just let it run for 15 minutes, you are going to fog the inside of your motor. Personally, I try to avoid this when storing. Last oil change before storage will be on a cold engine unless I can get one day over 50 F. Not too likely at tis point.

Last edited:
30 days is not too long to let it sit, no worries there except maybe a low charge battery.

You can get battery tender and not worry about it. My sits for that long sometimes. If you just start it and not let her get to operating temps, you will cause more harm then good. If you store it, store it. And if you are really worried, just remove the battery altogether.

You can get battery tender and not worry about it. My sits for that long sometimes. If you just start it and not let her get to operating temps, you will cause more harm then good. If you store it, store it. And if you are really worried, just remove the battery altogether.
+1
don't keep starting you're bike without riding it
you'll end up having to put plugs in it
cos they'll be as black as the ace of spades.
30 days is nothing to leave a bike.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.... When you come, reconnect it and it should start on 1st try ... Does for me and I've done this several times.

I would make sure the tank is drained or put some additave in Ethanol is playing hell with powersports equipment right now. I stopped by the stealership the other day and they were loaded up with bikes that had sat.

I would make sure the tank is drained or put some additave in Ethanol is playing hell with powersports equipment right now. I stopped by the stealership the other day and they were loaded up with bikes that had sat.

Some of our mid-western friends may take issue with the proposition that ethanol causes trouble. As for me, I search for 100% gasoline. It can still be found hereabouts.

CW

Some of our mid-western friends may take issue with the proposition that ethanol causes trouble. As for me, I search for 100% gasoline. It can still be found hereabouts.

CW

Stored for 2 years filled to the top with 1 oz Sea Foam gas treatment/gallon BP 93 octane gas, 10% Ethanol. Never had a problem. I would say make sure you treat the gas, run that into the injectors so they don't sit untreated all winter and DO fill the tank. An empty tank can rust and that would be a nightmare to fix.

I hear Shell gasoline is still available without ethanol.

Back