Let's talk gps

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
I'm thinking of getting a GPS receiver. Would like something that I can conveniently use on the Busa as well as in the car.

Many of ya'll have GPS...just wanting to get some suggestions from those with them. Likes, dislikes, pros, cons...

Post up!

Thanks!

I have a Tomtom Go 700 which seems to have some promise.  I've never even opened it up.  If you're interested in it, I'll sell it to you if the price is right.

Granted, it seems to be more of a mapping device rather than a locator but again, I don't truly know it's capabilities.

Linky thingy.

--Wag--

Garmin is the only one to own period. Plus they are kinda close to you in Olathe. LOL  I have a GPS map60C with mounts for both bike and car. I got the bike mounts from www.cycoactive.com. I know you have to buy the extra software for the turn by turn directions with Garmin but it is definitley worth it. plus now Garmin has released a newer version of what i have with removable SD cards to save the info on. mine has 56M built in memory but with a removable SD card that would be the $hit for really long trips.

So whatever you do go with a Garmin.
Plus I have heard thru the grapevine that Garmin makes most of the hard parts for other manufacturers and they also supply all of our military with the hand held units that they use.

<!--EDIT|loboboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157259360 -->

Garmin 276C for me.
wink.gif

i use a garmin i think it is a 350, it has a suction cup mount i use on the bike to the windscreen

I have a Garmin Quest that i love... For the bike and the car. It's small enough not to obstruct anything on the bike, i find it perfect!

I've had it for over a year now and would only replace it with a Quest 2 which has all america's road maps in its internal memory instead of the 118mb the Quest has that can require some uploading of maps for travelling...

I have a Tomtom Go 700 which seems to have some promise.  I've never even opened it up.  If you're interested in it, I'll sell it to you if the price is right.

Granted, it seems to be more of a mapping device rather than a locator but again, I don't truly know it's capabilities.

Linky thingy.

--Wag--
I have a tom tom 700. Friggin awesome. I made a cheap custom mount and the rest of the hardware hooks right up. It has bluetooth so I know when womeone is calling too. The screen is a little hard to see in direct sunlight but ok.

I had a thread going last fall about this .... if you look in the mods section it should be there. Most everyone said 276C but others chimed in with some other cool optoins
cool.gif

I went with the Garmin I5 streetpilot. Whole family loves it. Runs on batteries or on a USB power cord. Very convenient as the same cord charges my blackberry.

Nice color display with turn by turn directions and map of US and Canada pre-loaded.

Oh, and it can be updated via the same USB port.

I bought the Garmin Nuvi for my truck but it also works great on the bike. It also will play mp3 and the lithium ion battery lasts a long time.

Wow! Seems like everyone's a Garmin fan. A couple mentioned TomTom....but no one brought up Magellan?

What's the big advantage of a color display over monochrome?

Contrary to the opinions expressed above I HIGHLY reccomend the Lowrance iWay500C. Comes with a 20 gig hard drive partitioned in two. 10 gigs of the hard drive is for mp3's (5000 + songs) the second 10 gigs is for street level maps of the continental US as well as every gas station restaurant or other major point of interest PRE-LOADED. It also comes with the PC to GPS cord, Power cord and windshield suction cup mount for the car and a handlebar mount and output/ power supply cord for the Bike in the box. No need to buy anything else. It has the largest touch screen in the industry (5") and the unit it waterproof. Three levels of brightness on the screen display and if you connect the GPS through the aux in port on your motorcycle radio ( H-D Road Sofa) not only does the music play though your speakers so does the nice lady telling you to "take the next Left in .3 Miles" In the car the voice directions play through the on cord speaker. I am thinking that the features on this unit far exceeds the Garmin unit, But that's just one man's opinion  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157306302 -->

I've had a 276C for awhile now; great on bike, boat, portable, and car. Opt'ed for the 376C and add weather!

So  
wink.gif
 who has the best price on Garmins, my V went south the other day and I'am now looking to change it ! Garmin says 276C and 376C are in the $1,000 area, kinda spendy me thinks ! Quest 2 is $ 750 and the Quest is $ 450. So, who has the best prices
rock.gif

Back