Lets talk about E85.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I am not talking about putting this in a bike, but what about E85 for flex fuel vehicles? I know many of us have them, and according to recent studies, there are half as many E85 stations as there is electric charging stations. My car requires per the manual 91 octane or E85. In the interest of saving money, I have started using 89 octane and with the last three tanks noticed no difference in performance or fuel economy. There is one location in my town that has E85 and it is ten cents cheaper than regular unleaded. I am scared to try it. Does anyone use E85 and what are the effects? Mileage, performance, etc?

If you decide to use E85 read your manual about how many tanks you can put through it. I think on most vehicles that are capable of running it, you are supposed to run at most 2 or 3 tanks of E85 and then you are supposed to run a tank or 2 of reguar gas through it. You willnot get nearly the same amount of mileage out of a tank of E85. I know its dramatic but not sure how much exactly.

I have a flex fuel Nissan, Not a single gas station in 100 miles that sells E85 to purchase it..

Thank you Brandon, that is enough for me not use it. I was just curious as to the benefits or dangers of using it. I understand this stuff is supposed to be corrosive.

Ok, I am not talking about putting this in a bike, but what about E85 for flex fuel vehicles? I know many of us have them, and according to recent studies, there are half as many E85 stations as there is electric charging stations. My car requires per the manual 91 octane or E85. In the interest of saving money, I have started using 89 octane and with the last three tanks noticed no difference in performance or fuel economy. There is one location in my town that has E85 and it is ten cents cheaper than regular unleaded. I am scared to try it. Does anyone use E85 and what are the effects? Mileage, performance, etc?

I used it in my 2010 Ford Fusion (V6). I dropped about 3 miles per gallon, and a few months later (I have 50k miles), the wrench (warning light) showed on the dash, and the engine stalled. Ford ended up replacing the Throttle Body. Not sure the E85 had anything to do with it, but I am not using it again.

You have higher maintenance cost when using it, I have a 2011 flex fuel tundra, manual states more oil changes, fuel filter changes when using flex fuel. Not worth it at all. Also the fact you get worse mileage

I tried it in my old pickup..... I should have just paid the 15 cents more per gallon and got regular. It drank the E85..

LOL, you guys made my mind up, not using it. I drive by this station and have always wondered. Now I know, thank you gentlemen. :beerchug:

whats E85?.....:whistle: we dont have that in Connecticut for some unknown reason. all over NY but NONE in CT other then the DOT stations which are not for consumer use.:banghead:

Plus its subsidized by the government, and one of the main reasons we have e10 in all our gas.. and now they want to go to e15.. sorry for the guys that have Carb bikes.

My suburban can use it, never have though. The gas mileage guide says 13-17 for mine on regular old gas AND 9-13 on E85. The stuff will eat your engine and most anything else it touches, its essentially straight methanol (I think maybe a different kind of *anol :whistle:) but the real differences are the items that transport the fuel. In a traditional straight gas engine you can have standard fuel lines and filters, etc. In E85 compliant cars/trucks those are all stainless lines (think brake lines) and upgraded parts that *should* be able to handle the higher corrosive nastiness. Too much headache for me for the insignificant savings in fuel costs. Now back in the day when E85 first came out and was $1-$1.50/gal cheaper it made more sense but not its just a bad decision IMHO

Gallon for Gallon alcohol will reduce your mileage. The flex fuel vehicles should be alright with it. My understanding is it works on rubber fuel lines and gaskets of non flex fuel vehicles. :dunno:

It is ,in my opinion simply a revenue generator and a masked attempt to hide the search(what search?)for alternative fuel sources. Oil industry/corporations and govt,perfect togather...bend over:moon:until oil and the profits run out.
Yeah,like somone previously mentioned-was supposed to be a less costly alternative-not.

Less mileage,more production costs,higher food costs,etc.
Hey the farm industry is happy!:banghead: Trading a food source for fuel???Wha..

I could not sell my carburated bike fast enough,the motorcycle repair business has been flourishing(only) in regards to carb. related issues for years now! The gas these days is terriable,its no wonder sea-foam ,etc. is a household name these days.:banghead:

Well... I am sure they(the powers that be) will come up with a better more sustainable solution...:rofl:???
Oh thats right ,the electric car is one answer...OMFG. :laugh:

I'll stick to the 87' oct... and 93' in the bikes and small engines like lawn mower and gas weed wacker and blower..

Back