Lets see your helmet!!

Yes Mike , it is the first edition plain gloss carbon Pista . The helmet is marketed as a race 1st / street second lid , so lacks some of the niceties usually found on helmets . It lacks button press air flow louvers , just plugs that you either leave in or remove , and is a lid that requires ear plugs , for is fairly noisy . The vision this helmet allows is terrific , and as noted , the weight is not the lightest , but is certainly acceptable . I really like this lid , currently running the silver visor instead of dark smoke , and swapping them out is real easy . I would like to try the AGV electronic transition visor , but haven't quite been able to justify the $ ...
I really like the Simpson Bandit for one , and other for sure , I just checked out the M30 , I lie that classic alien like look , really racing / drag history still in that design . I remember in the '90 's , the monster faces etc, often custom painted on Simpson helmets , they were the bomb for crazy street helmets !!

View attachment 1580444
Hi. I also have an Arai I picker it up at a flee market it was brand new and I got it for $20.00 I use it for the street. I have had a lot Shoeis and Arais over the last 50 years. I had an HJC but did not like it at all. I even have carbon fiber half bucket all covered with stickers it is as light as my hat. I will put up some pics as soon as I can.

Currently wearing my oldest sons Bilt bluetooth helmet and will soon be picking up an AGV K3 SV Tartaruga soon.

20180501_185008.jpg
20180416_101217.jpg

Used to live about 12 miles from atlanta dragway until Delta decided they didn't need me any more. Now I live down in the florida keys! Miss it, I will be back in north georgia in a few years.
You mean Delta ain't "ready when you are"?
What do/did you do for them that got you to the keys. (I used to go to the Keys almost every weekend)

View attachment 1581300There are other helmets to choose from, but I like that it's light and has self extinguishing rubber trim and Nomex lining. And I hardly ever see myself going the other way out on the road.
Hi cwalker2. What Simpson is that? It looks like the Diamoundback but without the waves on top to reduce buffeting. Does the long chin bar interfear with the tank in a tuck? I am looking at the DIAMONBACK the VENATOR or the DEVIL RAY in carbon fiber. The last 2 are FIA and snell approved. They are not cheep the 1st is$1599.95 the 2nd $879.95 and the 3rd is $1895.95

Hi cwalker2. What Simpson is that? It looks like the Diamoundback but without the waves on top to reduce buffeting. Does the long chin bar interfear with the tank in a tuck? I am looking at the DIAMONBACK the VENATOR or the DEVIL RAY in carbon fiber. The last 2 are FIA and snell approved. They are not cheep the 1st is$1599.95 the 2nd $879.95 and the 3rd is $1895.95

Hi Michael,

It's an early Diamondback. Yes, it's true they are not cheap. The lid does have the anti-buffet stall strips on the crown. They just don't show up well in the photo. If you look just above the 'S' you'll see the point in the first wave. It spreads down along the lid to the end of the visor. The second strip or wave is right at the crown in the photo.

I've never had a problem trying to get down under the paint on the tank. The melted face/long chin bar doesn't hit the tank when I'm trying to keep the tach in sight. I bet if I wasn't looking at the tachometer, I could make it happen, but it's never been a problem. In all honesty, getting my body out of the air stream is probably less effective than improving my launch skills. LOL

Hi Michael,

It's an early Diamondback. Yes, it's true they are not cheap. The lid does have the anti-buffet stall strips on the crown. They just don't show up well in the photo. If you look just above the 'S' you'll see the point in the first wave. It spreads down along the lid to the end of the visor. The second strip or wave is right at the crown in the photo.

I've never had a problem trying to get down under the paint on the tank. The melted face/long chin bar doesn't hit the tank when I'm trying to keep the tach in sight. I bet if I wasn't looking at the tachometer, I could make it happen, but it's never been a problem. In all honesty, getting my body out of the air stream is probably less effective than improving my launch skills. LOL
Hi. I am doing LSR

Hi. I hit the wrong key. I am doing LSR the tuck is the key to go over 250mph. I will also do some drag racing but just for fun.

No worries. I hit the wrong keys all the time.

The chin is longer than some, but it is also a little deceiving since it has a small (read shorter) eye port. So essentially the helmet has high cheek bones that add to the overall long appearance. Still, if LSR is your thing, You might want to try one out while tucked in on a bike. One thing I notice is that it does not grant a very high upward view that is necessary on a sportbike. Arai helmets seem to be one of the best in this area, but the Simpson Diamondback is not dragbike or motorcycle roadrace focused, so I feel my horizon is cut short.

Maybe see if you can hit a dealer or booth at a show and get them to let you sit on a bike in full tuck before plunking down the cash. I say that, even though it might be more of a PITA, as your questions are legitimate. You need tuck AND to be able to see well at 200+mph. You don't need an $1800 mistake. :eek:

No worries. I hit the wrong keys all the time.

The chin is longer than some, but it is also a little deceiving since it has a small (read shorter) eye port. So essentially the helmet has high cheek bones that add to the overall long appearance. Still, if LSR is your thing, You might want to try one out while tucked in on a bike. One thing I notice is that it does not grant a very high upward view that is necessary on a sportbike. Arai helmets seem to be one of the best in this area, but the Simpson Diamondback is not dragbike or motorcycle roadrace focused, so I feel my horizon is cut short.

Maybe see if you can hit a dealer or booth at a show and get them to let you sit on a bike in full tuck before plunking down the cash. I say that, even though it might be more of a PITA, as your questions are legitimate. You need tuck AND to be able to see well at 200+mph. You don't need an $1800 mistake. :eek:
Hi I was a dealer for them in the 80s. I liked that they were FIA and Snell rated. In the 70s I raced an F5000 Lola T142. I have raced Alcohal Funny Car in the 80s.

Hi I was a dealer for them in the 80s. I liked that they were FIA and Snell rated. In the 70s I raced an F5000 Lola T142. I have raced Alcohal Funny Car in the 80s.

Lola T142. Wow! Cool ride. I'd love to do a few laps at Loudon in one. I can hear open practice calling my name!

If you still have connections from your dealer days, see if you can borrow one for the tuck check. I love the lid. Like you say, the multiple approvals and the fact that it's Snell SA vs M rated means it can take multiple hits in the same spot. I like that a lot.

The Aprilia RSV4 handles so much better than my Hayabusa ~ but it does not have the torque grunt to top it out *

It is much easier to get inside the fairing on my Hayabusa *

I was looking at video clips of RSV4 exhaust on YouTube when I came across that same video. That Aprilia sounds so good.

Back