Let's Play Analyze the Crash

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
What happened here? Just grabbed a handful of front brake? Too much brake for the lean angle? Abrupt brake application?

Judging from the speed at which he passes a bike just before the crash and is quickly gaining on another one, it's probably safe to say he was going into something too hot anyway.

Where are my track stars on this? Tufbusa, Team Gixxer, etc... Have at it!

Re: Let's Play Analyize the Crash

Riding an R1, wouldn't have happened on a good bike:laugh:

Dunno. Looked like a pretty deliberate move to the brake with, from best as can be seen on the camera, a smooth squeeze on the lever. Lean angle wasn't all that much either.
Definitely tucked the front though, so he about had to have over done the brake.

it almost look like he lost the front tire pressure. He wasnt even into the corner barely at all.

I think he summed it up in the comments. Cold tires with too much air attached to a stiff stock suspension on a bumpy track added to late braking and a first time track day on the last session of the day. $hit happens. Add fatigue to all of the other things mentioned and you get a low side. Luckily not a high side. They always hurt more.

It is difficult to form an opinion from the camera view available. He changed to a lower gear, closed throttle, touched front brake, at a lean angle. Too much rear bias, too little front grip, lost the front.

Looking at the rearward facing camera in the slow motion sequence at the end it looks like there was something wet looking on the track.
You can see the smoke from the front tyre and directly on the ground there it looks like a different texture of something on the ground for a couple of frames. Just looks like a dark patch on the pavement.
Could just be the slo-mo being pixelated somewhat but it looks like something wet there.

Unless it was the rider...:laugh:

Could be first lap tire stuff. Unless everyone else on track was a newbie, he was running way faster than the rest of the track. Hard to say, but hopefully the rider is ok and learned from his little get off.

It doesn't look like he much lean angle at all to me. I think he grabbed too much brake for some reason judging by the way his handle bars jerked left.

Not possible to do an accurate crash analysis by only watching a video. Swag is all you can do. :laugh:

Two words: MICHELIN TIRES :) Just kidding

I'll throw my 2 cents in but I'd like to hear Tuf's opinion. I'll say the following:

- Start of 2nd lap. Tires should have started warming up by then, but I'd wonder what the air/track temp was at the time of the accident. If that was early morning or late evening. He was going faster than everyone else on the warm up lap, maybe they knew something he didn't.

- Wonder what his tire pressure was.

- The lean angle and brake pressure should not have been enough by themselves to have broken the front loose like that didn't see anything that radical

- The front broke at a transition/patch/somthing point on the surface, so the contact surface changed and at that transition point the front lost traction...

I'll bet it was just too cold for the tire he was using at that moment. It amazes me how two bikes which appear similarly equipped can go thru the same spot on the track - one makes it, one doesn't...

Looks like an old guy from Seattle who trains poodles and rides shinkos. :whistle:

You best watchit young man! I'll sneak in during the middle of the night and kidnap your wife. I know she is a good woman cause she puts up with yore a$$! :whistle:

As in most single bike crashes (street or track) he simply ran out of talent just when he needed it most. I have found myself in that position on numberous occasions. If you haven't already, you will too, eventually!

His first track day, novice group, sh it happens!

I have found that most street riders show up at the track with no problem twisting the throttle but they have real issues with the brakes. I've ruffled lots of feathers on the org with multiple posts on braking. If there is one aspect of motorcycle control you should master, it's the brakes! Practice - Practice - Practice as efficient braking will save your a$$ as some point!

Two things I noticed in the video. One, using four fingers on the lever. Modern bikes have exceptional brakes. Using four fingers on the lever makes it much too easy to apply too much pressure. It's brake feel you want and one or two fingers is all you need to apply pressure. Presonally, I use two.

Two, the horrizon never moved in the video. This tells me the brakes were applied too aggressively not allowing the forks to compress and load the front tire which led to overwhelming the tires' available grip. The rider had already passed the turn-in point when he decided he was going to fast for his comfort level and quickly overloaded the tire with poor application of the brake. If he would have stayed calm, left the throttle closed, leaned the bike a bit more he would have been fine. As the bike slowed the radius would have tightened up allowing the rider to stand the bike up more and allowed for more brake if the rider felt it necessary.

This crash was due to a total lack of braking skill but was most likely initiated by a lapse in concentration. Could have been listening to his tunes, who knows? The brakes are a rheostat used to set your corner entry speed. Sometimes it's necessary to apply the brakes while leaned over. If that situation occurrs, stand the bike up as best you can and squeeze the lever, don't grab it. This is your best chance of avoiding a crash! :beerchug:

I doubt the chap that crashed has any idea as to why he crashed!

You best watchit young man! I'll sneak in during the middle of the night and kidnap your wife. I know she is a good woman cause she puts up with yore a$$! :whistle:

I was in now way referring to you sir.

:rofl:

You caught that eh? Pretty good for an ole feller :)

Ps....you don't even have to sneak in. I'll ship her to you. What's your address?

Bike must be trashed as it seems to have rolled.

I think he was just using the wrong tool for the job.
A Busa would not have done that :)

Back