Legal Update #3

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
After speaking with about 5 attorneys in the Bradenton, FL area...

I found one who will handle every aspect of my case for $1,200. Yeah, that's ridiculous! But I just have to pay 600 up front and can pay the rest over 6 months. He will handle everything and even try to get everything dropped before my first court date. I will never have to appear in court for anything and he also knows the judge in charge of my case.

Peace of mind is expensive!

But this whole situation is pretty absurd. Just a guy who was on vacation and had some drinks with an old friend and got into a drunken arguement all because the stupid bar didn't have a working atm machine and didn't accept credit cards! There's no way I'm letting this bs situation ruin my plans to move to Los Angeles, so I'm just going to pay the attorney so it can be handled by a professional...

The End?

cool glad to see its going to work out.
beerchug.gif

I guess you have to weight that against the alternative, which probably isn't so good .... Good luck, bro.

The attorney thinks this whole thing is just bad judgement on the part of the cops. They arrested a drunken guy at a bar who was arguing (out of control) when they could have simply sent him on his way... because he was from out of town. Now it's costing me a lot of money and the county money. All for no reason at all. I still don't know what law I actually broke!!!

you were an out of towner in flordia thats why they are doing this.
go ahead and pay it and get ready for your move to calif.

The law you broke was most likely Drunk and Disorderly in Public. Glad to see you sought legal rep. even though it's a little expensive now , it beats the ever loving he!! out of being arrested roadside, vehicle impounded,road trip to Florida in the back of a van (that you would pay for) and 30 days in jail.
You are getting wise young grasshopper, now about this statement .... I only wear a jacket and gloves when I'm cold...

(MoosesBusa @ Oct. 12 2006,20:42) The law you broke was most likely Drunk and Disorderly in Public. Glad to see you sought legal rep. even though it's a little expensive now , it beats the ever loving he!! out of being arrested roadside, vehicle impounded,road trip to Florida in the back of a van (that you would pay for) and 30 days in jail.
You are getting wise young grasshopper, now about this statement .... I only wear a jacket and gloves when I'm cold...
When I ride to the store or whatever... and if it's hot... I'm not wearing a jacket or gloves. Sorry. That's just me. I'll always wear a helmet no matter what, though. And jeans...

But if I'm going on some serious ride (like at the gap) I would certainly wear gear. But not for a trip down to Blockbuster or the Quickie Mart.

Back to the topic... I'm glad to get this crap all figured out finally. I'm sick of making so many long distance calls to Florida!!! But... I've still gotta send long distance money down there!!!

(PaNDeM1C @ Oct. 12 2006,17:56) The attorney thinks this whole thing is just bad judgement on the part of the cops. They arrested a drunken guy at a bar who was arguing (out of control) when they could have simply sent him on his way... because he was from out of town. Now it's costing me a lot of money and the county money. All for no reason at all. I still don't know what law I actually broke!!!
Pan I hate to say it, but you likely sealed your own fate.

Remember this?

<span style='color:darkred'>"I do know that I got very "disorderly" when the cop showed up. I guess I was being an jerk and just wouldn't keep my big drunken mouth shut. Anyway, I got arrested and my friend was allowed to go home in his own vehicle."</span>

I'm betting if you had calmed down when the officer arrived and made arrangement to pay your tab, you would have been riding home with you friend that night.

Do what you can to get it dismissed with no record. $1200 now will be much cheaper than having to answer to it for many many years to come. That I promise you.

A few lawyers even said that I was probably arrested for just that reason. I was drunk and wouldn't shut my big mouth. But... that's really not a crime. If I had been sober, well, yeah... I would have kept my yapper closed and rode home with my bud. I can relate to Mel Gibson... I was drinking and having fun and then I was in the back of a police car and in jail. I don't remember all the details.

I do know that I am certainly a binge drinker. I do not crave alcohol on a daily basis or feel like I need to drink. But... when I do decide to drink... it's to get drunk. I think Mel Gibson and I have a similar problem. It's not a problem than can be solved by rehab, either. I was also drinking heavily that night just because I hadn't seen my bud in such a long time and we were just partying hard... that's all. I don't crave alcohol on a daily basis at all like a coke addict or smoker or heroin addict. I guess I don't have a drinking problem... just problems when I drink too much (sometimes).

Back