Legal question, Leased/rented property abandonment

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
We switched propane companies two years ago and they have never picked up their old tank we was renting from them. They attempted to charge me rent for months but each time I called they removed those charges.

The question. I have called them quite a few times over the last two years asking them to remove their tank from my property. They don't seem to care about the tank and have not picked it up. The last time I called I asked them to send me a letter stating they had no further interest in the tank so I could do what I wish with it. They then said they would have someone out within a week to pick it up. That was 3 weeks ago.

I don't care about the tank, but you know as soon as I do anything with it they would want it and send me a $600 bill for it.

My next option might be to send them a certified letter claiming a lein for storage.

What do you think about this? What would you do?

Send them a certified letter, saying the tank will be sold to the highest bidder, you will charge 25% commission and send them the balance. Give them a deadline date to pick-up the tank, prior to auction.

Suggest you look at any paperwork you may have signed with them before proceeding.

Send them a notarized letter send certified mail signature required stating that they have until X date to remove it from your property at which time if they don't remove it then you will sell it for scrap.

And, talk to an attorney just to be sure you do it correctly...

Is it easy enough to remove it and go leave it in their parking lot with a nice note :)

I actually thought about that, but it seems their records are so poor on keeping track of it, even if I left them a detailed note 6 months from now they would not know which tank it was or where it came from and still come looking for it in their own good time.

I am thinking about just taking it onto the back of my property, into the woods, and letting the squirrels have a dome home. Might even cut a hole in the bottom of it for them :laugh: Least it's still there if they ever do come looking.

I think the cerified letter idea might get their attention.

I have been searching the net for an abandoned property form of some sort but can't find any information.

AAHHH, I just thought about it...I have one of those legal attorney form disks here somewhere :thumbsup:

You could take it over there during business hours. Walk inside and ask to speak to a manager. Walk him outside and show him where his tank is in one of their parking spots and tell him who it came from.

Then have a nice day....

Or....

Fill it and take it out to the country with your favorite rifle.
Big tank go booooooom! :)

I doubt you could sell it for scrap. Getting rid of scrap metal isn't as easy as it use to be :whistle: Anyway if anything happens to it make sure you report it as stolen :poke:

Post it in the craigslist free section, I am sure a scrapper would be right over to pick it up. :laugh:

Steel is going for 12 cents a pound around here.

take a digital picture of it with a note attached to it saying "I have contacted you on several occassions to pick up your tank for which I am no longer using".

send it them in an email to the manager or owner. give them a couple weeks to respond. if they do not respond back then get rid of it. at least that way you will have proof that you attempted to contact them.

with a digital picture and a certifed letter you would be covered if they tried to bill you or send you to collections.

IN actuality if they decline to get it if you don't do that you could probably sell it for a pretty penny to someone that does.

IN actuality if they decline to get it if you don't do that you could probably sell it for a pretty penny to someone that does.
Getting rid of it would not be an issue, they sell here for $600 or so.
(from the company, I believe you can pick them up a lot cheaper)

A $100 bill would not be an issue at all, or I would just use it with my current carrier and save the rent on the one I am renting from them for $50 a year.

just how big a tank is it ???

100 gallon I believe...

You remember the 50 cal video? That was small propane tanks hanging at the 500 yard range. :thumbsup:

You could hit this one with your eyes closed and a 5 foot bullet drop :laugh:

I believe it's a 100, I'd have to look. It stands about 5 ft tall, maybe 3 ft across.

Would not be a big deal to load up and try to find a local drop off. They do not bring them from locally though, I think they bring them from a distribution an hour or so away. I know my current carrier doesn't even have a local shop at all and comes from about 70 miles away. Still cheaper per gallon, figure that one out.

if you find your way to having it and want to get rid of it, hmmm... I wonder if it would work for my grill :whistle: :thumbsup:

Back