legal license mount

USnavy2485

Donating Member
Registered
in texas(mainly houston) what is the legal way to mount a plate... im stretched back a few inches(+5) and have a custom undertail and rather not put the tag there... i bought a curved vertical rear axle bolt mount but someone told me that it is a no go :banghead: but i have seen them around..... do the footpeg mounts look good? i will have a single sided exhaust so that is not an issue....an PICS? or suggestions?

even if it is barly legal... just not trying to get stopped toooo much.. well not at all really

Most states require the tag to be horizontal so that it can be easily read by the officer that will eventually pull you over for doing 120mph in a 30mph zone. ;) It's best not to tempt fate in my opinion...most cops in my experience do not care about minor violations, but when they can't read your tag...it's go time.

I have mine mounted on my swing arm with the vertical tag mount. In North Carolina I heard it was illegal but I actually stopped next to a Cop and he told me that if there is lights on it and readable it is ok and I probably wouldn't get stopped unless acting irresponsible. I have had it since 06 and nothing yet. So IDK, guess it depends on what kind of day it is...:beerchug:

yeah i had a similar issue with my bike i went with the peg located one just in case beats time out of work and possible fine here are some pics hope they help

IMG00002-20100127-1916.jpg

IMG00003-20100127-1916.jpg

IMG00004-20100127-1917.jpg

Here in DFW area the LEOs normally won't harass you over something minor as a vertical tag but its the LEOs discretion if he's gonna ticket you just for the tag alone. My bro is a LEO and rides a GSXR liter and his tag is mounted vertically. Mine is peg mounted like 09 Busa guy on my Busa. On my zx14 its vertical but not curved and haven't been stopped. As long as it visible keep it the way it is but make sure you have a light for that curved plate, but if in doubt put it horizontal and visible.

in texas(mainly houston) what is the legal way to mount a plate... im stretched back a few inches(+5) and have a custom undertail and rather not put the tag there... i bought a curved vertical rear axle bolt mount but someone told me that it is a no go :banghead: but i have seen them around..... do the footpeg mounts look good? i will have a single sided exhaust so that is not an issue....an PICS? or suggestions?

even if it is barly legal... just not trying to get stopped toooo much.. well not at all really

As best as i can remember, plate must be visible directly from the rear to a distance of(???) 75ft. Must be illuminated with a white light. No requirements as to shere or whether it's sideways. Inspection sticker must be displayed NEAR the LP but not neccessarily facing rearward, this has been a bone of contentionas I have had both Inspectors and DPS officers try to tell me that it must be on a plate facing rearward. Ask them to show you the SPECIFIC law in the Texas Motor Vehicle Code, when they do it says "NEAR the LP".
We have run sideways tilted LP's here in Texas on GSXR's SV650's and My Busa Race bike without any problems. I generally use one of the Licence plate frames with the built in light but have also used the little bolts that have a light in them on the corners. Put it where you want just make sure it's got a light on it!

I have a curved license plate bracket mounted off the right side rear axel of my 'Busa and have had it that way for over a year and have yet to get pulled over for it being mounted that way.

The bigger issue is the lack of a rear fender. Most if not all states require the tires to be covered by some type of fender to prevent foreign objects (rocks, sand etc.) from being thrown up onto or in the path of other vehicles.
As far as tags go, anytime the tag location is altered from the factory location you get on a slippery slope. Especially if you travel across state lines or even to another city or town. Cities and towns can have ordinances more restrictive than the state law. So many laws and variations in laws make it difficult for some modifications to remain "legal"
When you leave a dealership with a "new" vehicle with no mods, it will be 50 state legal.
The " I did not know" statement rarely gets you through a roadside stop.

Last edited:
Back