LED Turn signals - Flasher Module?

pwhittle

Registered
I installed LED turn signals and taillights and, of course, the flasher unit does not see the bulbs drawing current and so they flash at double speed.

I also have a turn signal integrator on the rear.

What is the best way to fix it?

Can the flasher module be tricked inside?

Is there a plug-in Flasher module that will work with LED lights?

Do I have to put on a Load Equalizer?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
2000 'Busa

My freind had the same problem w/ his integrator kit. He bought a standon heavy duty flasher module /relay from a local auto parts store. It worked fine.

Sorry I can not help, but I got a ? what kind of integrator are you using and have you had any problems with it. Its that I bought a assimilator and it came damaged.

<!--EDIT|arey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073873076 -->

grabntwist, Is there a stansard plug-in module that replaces the standard one pin-for-pin?

arey, the integrator kit was on my 'Busa when I got it so I do not know what type. I have not had any problems with it. If I get a chance to look, I will post what type.

Paul

grabntwist, Is there a stansard plug-in module that replaces the standard one pin-for-pin?

arey, the integrator kit was on my 'Busa when I got it so I do not know what type. I have not had any problems with it. If I get a chance to look, I will post what type.

Paul
I had the same problem just this week, What I did was to solder wires to the old bulbs and run them in-line with the L.E.D's. This way the current draw on the flasher unit is the same as standard- result is the flasher works as normal.
The old bulbs were insulated with heat proof tape and tucked into the tail unit, cost nothing and works great.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Gunny
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074078061 -->

ks-waterbug,

That is what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the link.

It just didn't seem right to be adding resistors to waste power just to overcome the smart relay.

Paul

The 552 relay works a charm when you replace the front or the rear bulbs with LEDs, but does not flash at all when you replace both the front and rear bulbs with LED's. The 552 is listed as a thermal relay and I assume that the LED's do not draw enought current to cause it to trip.

I also tried the L12 electronic relay, but that operates the same as the 552.

For now I think I am going back to the load equalizer resistors (although the cheap side of me does like the idea of just using the old bulbs wired in parallel). I had ordered the resistors before I got some of these answers so I already have them.

When I have got it all working, I will post resistor values and part numbers for anyone else that wants to try the same thing.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Paul

I decided to go with the Load Equalizers as I am replacing front and rear turn signals with LED's and could not locate a suitable relay. I like the way they turn on and off very quickly. It is a digital thing. It turned out pretty easy to do and uses the standard relay.

The front turn signal lamps are on an 6-inch pigtail that makes it really easy to install the Load Equalizers with the pigtail off the bike.

I soldered some leads on to the resistors and covered the exposed parts with heatshrink and used some crimp connectors to connect them in parallel with the lamp. You could solder the leads to the pigtail as an alternative.

This is how it looks off the bike

and installed

After I took the picture I used some heavy duty Velcro to secure the resistors and prevent them from banging around. On the left side, I secured the resistor to the same bracket that supports the relays. On the right side, I secured it to the air intake vent.

I ordered the parts from Digikey

The Resistors I used are 50W 3.3 ohm Aluminum Housed resistors. Click here for the datasheet for the resistors You will need one for each side. If you are only replacing the rears, I would go with the 552 relay solution, but if you really want to use load equalizers, you could use one TMC-50-6.0-ND per side. Cost is $5.21 each.

The LED's were from DigiKey also. The datasheet page for the LED's is click here I used 441-1016-ND as 1157 replacements for the rear (I have an integrator) and 4410-1011-ND for the front. I have clear lenses front and rear. The LED's were $4.81 each

You will also need some wire, heat shrink tubing, crimp connectors, and a soldering iron. Radio Shack or your local auto parts store are good sources for these.

While I was messing around, I also installed a SpeedoHealer I got from . I haven't had a chance to do a roadtest due to rain, but the instructions are very clear and it passed all the tests in the installation guide and appeared to work correctly on the stand. I decided to mount it using some more Velcro on the left air intake as it was easier to run the wires there that fish them back to the area under the rear seat.

I hope this helps someone.

Paul

HERE GOES THE RELAY FLASHER FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT SURE WHAT IT IS. PART NUMBER 552 PLUGS INTO THE LIGHT BLUE WIRE AND THE ORANGE ONE WITH THE GREEN TRACER WIRE.. THANKS JOHNNY CHEESE.. HERE IS A PIC...

BUSA_UNDERTAIL_EBAY_ITEMS_007.jpg

I know that the LED light with intergrator I purchased came with two resistors that you put in line....if I had it here I could tell you what they were, but all of the above mentioned solutions should work too...

Back