Led turn signal issue

Cappo

Registered
Okay...I swapped out my OEM front turn signals for LED and they flashed faster and the left one only worked when it wanted to so I replaced the Flasher Relay with a LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay and it did slow them down but now the left signal doesn't flash at all and if I try to click it too much the fuse blows:banghead:. I also noticed that the headlight and dashboard lighting pulses slightly when I try to turn on the left signal???. BTW, I also had a Integrated Rear Taillight/Turn Signals installed. Any ideas on what my problem may be?

SAM_0910.jpg

Read the packaging or contact the vendor. Typically you have to add a resistor I believe.

Okay...I swapped out my OEM front turn signals for LED and they flashed faster and the left one only worked when it wanted to so I replaced the Flasher Relay with a LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay and it did slow them down but now the left signal doesn't flash at all and if I try to click it too much the fuse blows:banghead:. I also noticed that the headlight and dashboard lighting pulses slightly when I try to turn on the left signal???. BTW, I also had a Integrated Rear Taillight/Turn Signals installed. Any ideas on what my problem may be?

Sounds like something is grounding out on the left side. The LED relays do not need resistors. If the relay works on the right side then more than likely it is not the new relay. If I remember correctly the power goes through the relay and then through either side of the wiring, depending on switch position. Disconnect the rear integrated signal and then retest, flash rate will not be affected...relay is electronic. If it is still messed up after checking the rear...you're going need to trace your wiring and find the culprit.

Sounds like something is grounding out on the left side. The LED relays do not need resistors. If the relay works on the right side then more than likely it is not the new relay. If I remember correctly the power goes through the relay and then through either side of the wiring, depending on switch position. Disconnect the rear integrated signal and then retest, flash rate will not be affected...relay is electronic. If it is still messed up after checking the rear...you're going need to trace your wiring and find the culprit.

Thanks to all for the information. FALQN, you sound right on all accounts. I have resistors on anyway but that wasn't helping so I got the LED Relay and that helps my flash rate. I figured that either my mechanic wired up something wrong or some wiring was grounding out. Only thing is, now where do I go from here???? I am not tech/electronically savvy at all. :duh:

Thanks to all for the information. FALQN, you sound right on all accounts. I have resistors on anyway but that wasn't helping so I got the LED Relay and that helps my flash rate. I figured that either my mechanic wired up something wrong or some wiring was grounding out. Only thing is, now where do I go from here???? I am not tech/electronically savvy at all. :duh:

Cappo you need to get rid of the resistors, if they are still wired in....they could be the issue. They're not needed with the LED relay and they may be the problem.

can you take a spare piece of wire and some blade terminal ends or whatever and hook them up directly to the battery to confirm the led works as it should...

Cappo you need to get rid of the resistors, if they are still wired in....they could be the issue. They're not needed with the LED relay and they may be the problem.

Okay. I'll relay that message to my mechanic. But before "I" even put the new relay on, the left turn signal only worked when it wanted. Now that I did replace the relay the left side has stopped working. So there was an issue there before the new relay came into play.

can you take a spare piece of wire and some blade terminal ends or whatever and hook them up directly to the battery to confirm the led works as it should...

I actually took the bike back to my mechanic to let him figure out the issue. I figured I'd let him solve the problem that HE created. I just wanted an idea of whether or not this was a wiring issue that he caused or an issue with the new LED turn signal so he wouldnt be able to charge me if its an issue that he caused with bad wiring.

Back