LED Lightbar for truck - Need some experience

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Okay team, who has an LED light bar on their truck? I want to get my son a lightbar for the top to go all the way across his 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. What size, brackets and mount is the best. He will turn this thing on once a week probably to blind someone when he play's volleyball or to light up a parking lot.. More about the looks than about a lot of usage.

Anyone have a setup, lets see some pics.. I am going to put a 17 - 24 in the grill too so lot's of light coming...

Lets see it, I need to move pretty quick.

Cap

Amazon, shouldn't pay more than $100 for a 48 double row spot/flood combo.
You'll hear that expensive ones are better, that hasn't been my experience. I've bought at least 4 big ones and probably 30 small ones. Make sure you buy ones with wiring and buy switches, most don't come with them.

IMG959125.jpg

IMG_20180218_123350417_HDR.jpg

Okay team, who has an LED light bar on their truck? I want to get my son a lightbar for the top to go all the way across his 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. What size, brackets and mount is the best. He will turn this thing on once a week probably to blind someone when he play's volleyball or to light up a parking lot.. More about the looks than about a lot of usage.

Anyone have a setup, lets see some pics.. I am going to put a 17 - 24 in the grill too so lot's of light coming...

Lets see it, I need to move pretty quick.

Cap
I install all different kinds of these at my shop. @Mr Brown is correct you can snag one on amazon fairly cheap unfortunately many of those are kinda crappy and consequently fail quickly or take on water.
I have had a lot of experience with many of them and OPT7’s products by far exceed the quality of many of the higher end bars. And they don’t break the bank either.

They are available on amazon as well, here is a link to their page...
C2 OS Series: LED Light Bar

Does he have roof racks on it? You can get some kits that mount to the racks, if not we usually mount them with the door frame pillar bracket. I install nutserts and use thick gaskets to prevent water leakage.

Does he have roof racks on it? You can get some kits that mount to the racks, if not we usually mount them with the door frame pillar bracket. I install nutserts and use thick gaskets to prevent water leakage.

Yep, that is exactly what I was looking for or I was going to weld up my own... I've bought smaller bars for "other" projects you guys just wouldn't believe but I wanted to make sure I was checking myself with some guys that have experience with the real world..

I've submerged several cheaper ones on side by sides and on bumpers, never had one quit. Maybe I've just been lucky. I say this because you can literally buy 10 cheapies for the price of one rigid, you are never going to convince me they're that much better. I'm sure you're right @jeffgordons24 that the cheaper ones fail more easily, but for the money I'm gonna go with them every time. I keep a mud toy around at all times: K5's, burbs, side by sides, even an old beater Jeep and cheapo LEDs have been on most of em.

IMG_20151101_115916137_HDR.jpg

Yep, that is exactly what I was looking for or I was going to weld up my own... I've bought smaller bars for "other" projects you guys just wouldn't believe but I wanted to make sure I was checking myself with some guys that have experience with the real world..
Yea opt7 also has a 2 year warranty and they are great to deal with. The C1 model is also a very nice bar and under $100 and carries the same 2 year warranty.
C1 Series: LED Bar Light

I've submerged several cheaper ones on side by sides and on bumpers, never had one quit. Maybe I've just been lucky. I say this because you can literally buy 10 cheapies for the price of one rigid, you are never going to convince me they're that much better. I'm sure you're right @jeffgordons24 that the cheaper ones fail more easily, but for the money I'm gonna go with them every time. I keep a mud toy around at all times: K5's, burbs, side by sides, even an old beater Jeep and cheapo LEDs have been on most of em.

View attachment 1594801
Hah you have some pretty killer toys there.
And yes I agree with you some cheaper ones do hold up nicely. In all honesty it usually comes down to the install.
When guys come in with failed bars I see how they mount or wire these things and you just have to wonder lol

Hah you have some pretty killer toys there.
And yes I agree with you some cheaper ones do hold up nicely. In all honesty it usually comes down to the install.
When guys come in with failed bars I see how they mount or wire these things and you just have to wonder lol
Thanks, I run through em pretty quick. The Cherokee was my daughter's, the Burb was my last one. RZR 800 is all I got now.

I just bought a Jeep XJ with one and recently discovered the rubber grommet they used to seal the hole they drilled in the roof to run the wire was leaking due to dry rot, I highly recommend using RTV silicone with the grommet.

Back