LED Jacket

bussassin417

Registered
I've been thinking of buying a LED motorcycle jacket since I bought a cruiser 3 years ago. Though I never found one I liked, or one worth the price.

When we bought cruisers; then ordered helmets, we came across a wireless motorcycle helmet safety light. So we ordered two.

We did use one for my wife's cruiser but shelved the other. (I knew I wanted to use it to make a LED jacket)

There are pics of the device.

HL Box - 1.JPG

HL Unit - 1.JPG

There is a transmitter that wires to a motorcycle and a receiving circuit board inside the display unit. I want to use the receiving circuit board to control the LEDs on a jacket.

There are pics of the receiver circuit board.

Mock LED Jacket CB - 2.png

Mock LED Jacket CB - 1.png

I would power the jacket with a rechargeable USB power pack.

USB Power Pack.JPG

Here is a mockup of my design.

Mock LED Jacket - 1.png

Now for the issue, I'm not mechanically inclined.

I've never unsoldered anything. Also, I don't solder well.

So I need help.

I need to receiver circuit board modified:
1. battery holder removed and (+/-) wires soldered to circuit board; red positive - black ground wire
2. solder +/- wires to circuit board for left turn signal; yellow positive wire - black ground wire
2 solder +/- wires to circuit board for right turn signal; green positive wire - black ground wire
3 solder +/- wires to circuit board for red brake signal; blue positive wire - black ground wire

How long do you think the modifications should take ?
What is a fair price ?
Anyone what the job ?

Just want to say that's a way cool project.

Here are a few ideas to help your project:

You can buy different LEDs on superbrightleds.com
I think LEDs are cheap enough that you can afford to blow a few of them up while testing.

I also wanted to have you look into Electroluminescent wire.

Lay out a prototype without the jacket until you can fine tune it into a jacket.

Try looking for a clear or light colored mesh jacket that the light will pass through.

Best of luck.

I've been thinking of buying a LED motorcycle jacket since I bought a cruiser 3 years ago. Though I never found one I liked, or one worth the price.

When we bought cruisers; then ordered helmets, we came across a wireless motorcycle helmet safety light. So we ordered two.

We did use one for my wife's cruiser but shelved the other. (I knew I wanted to use it to make a LED jacket)

There are pics of the device.

View attachment 1587574

View attachment 1587575

There is a transmitter that wires to a motorcycle and a receiving circuit board inside the display unit. I want to use the receiving circuit board to control the LEDs on a jacket.

There are pics of the receiver circuit board.

View attachment 1587576

View attachment 1587578

I would power the jacket with a rechargeable USB power pack.

View attachment 1587586

Here is a mockup of my design.

View attachment 1587587

Now for the issue, I'm not mechanically inclined.

I've never unsoldered anything. Also, I don't solder well.

So I need help.

I need to receiver circuit board modified:
1. battery holder removed and (+/-) wires soldered to circuit board; red positive - black ground wire
2. solder +/- wires to circuit board for left turn signal; yellow positive wire - black ground wire
2 solder +/- wires to circuit board for right turn signal; green positive wire - black ground wire
3 solder +/- wires to circuit board for red brake signal; blue positive wire - black ground wire

How long do you think the modifications should take ?
What is a fair price ?
Anyone what the job ?
Maybe reach out to Lee from New Image, super cool guy. He has a great grasp on the illuminating of jackets and such he could prob be a big help to you.

https://newimageseats.com/lighted-riding-vests/

As stated, I'm not mechanically incline. Though not ... inept !

I've done lighting/audio/visual projects. I've installed underglow kits, head units, component speaker, amplifiers.

Ever make glow stick from clear vertical blinds rod ?

my '91 Olds Cutlass back in the day
Cutlass - 5.jpg

Cutlass - 6.jpg

Cutlass - 4.jpg

... did anyone else have LED muffler tips ?

I've been tweaking/modding my homes and cars for over 20 years. Now we have peel/stick LED strips and EL wire.

This LED jacket isn't reinventing the wheel.

I went to 4 shops in my area to modify the circuit board. No luck.

Have contacted 3 custom tailors via email to make the alterations to the jacket, no takers.

What's the deal ? They do this work for a living !! My time is limited.

For work, I'm away weeks at a time. When I get home and it's not raining, I want to ride.

If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out !

The GlowRider™ Jacket

Nice jacket, thanks for the information.

Form, functionality and aesthetics are important to me. I have seen most of the products on the market, nothing has yet caught my eye to warrant a purchase.

Widget - 3.jpg

Widget - 1.jpg

Widget - 2.jpg

Widget - 4.jpg

LED Jacket - Amber Lights.jpg

LED Jacket - 3.jpg

I'm going to make one I will love to wear; hopefully I'll find some help.

Back