Leathers

Spectre

Donating Member
Registered
am looking at some one piece suits and am wondering just how "breathable" they are. here in the southern states it's hot and humid so that is a concern. usually i stick to my under armor and mesh or textile jackets, but with a 5 hour ride (one way) each weekend i am thinking about picking up a suit for some additional protection. plus if i get the chance at a track day i'm covered...

currently the suit i am looking at is the AGV SP6 1 piece Gunmetal Suit (although i have found the SP4 on clearance for about half the price and think i will pick it up as an extra if nothing else)

anyway, can you guys that wear them regularly let me have some opinions?

i'm 6'2" and weigh about 240 and in reasonable shape for a desk jockey.
biggrin.gif

Leathers are HOT but buying the perferated Leathers helps also buying yourself a cooling vest helps as well but over all having Full leathers is the bomb and offer the best protection. MAKE THE PLUNGE!!!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I dont have leathers but I do ride a two peice Aerostich Roadcrafter. The stich is approved at some tracks. Im not going to dissuade you from leathers, but as a daily suit user, I RECOMMEND A TWO PEICE SUIT!!!

a one peice suit is an all or nothing affair. There will be times where you want to take of the jacket for comfort reasons... rest stops, gas stops, track sessions. IMO, its a pain to have the jacket tied around your waist as you try to move around. your options will be to take it all off or leave it all on.

Im going to get a leather suit one day, but itll be a two peice. For those that only use the suit at the track a one peice may be better (im sure those folks will chime in) since they dont need the versatility. Otherwise, a two piece will come in handy and will offer similar protection.

my 2 cents.

Have you considered a 'Stich?

2-piece perforated here. Still gives the option to just wear the jacket with kevlar/aramid jeans.

+1 Two Piece Suit, If looking at Alpinestar suits 1 or 2 piece. Keep in mind the suit run 2 sizes smaller then normal jacket size. I learned the hard way.
Loomis.

Perforated leather are not hot if you moving. If you planning a lot of stops then look somewhere else.

I dont have leathers but I do ride a two peice Aerostich Roadcrafter.  The stich is approved at some tracks.  Im not going to dissuade you from leathers, but as a daily suit user, I RECOMMEND A TWO PEICE SUIT!!!  

a one peice suit is an all or nothing affair.  There will be times where you want to take of the jacket for comfort reasons... rest stops, gas stops, track sessions.  IMO, its a pain to have the jacket tied around your waist as you try to move around.  your options will be to take it all off or leave it all on.  

Im going to get a leather suit one day, but itll be a two peice.  For those that only use the suit at the track a one peice may be better (im sure those folks will chime in) since they dont need the versatility.  Otherwise, a two piece will come in handy and will offer similar protection.  

my 2 cents.  

Have you considered a 'Stich?
Those are good reasons for a 2-piece.
These are reasons I opted for a 1-piece :
- Faster to get on and off because there's no zipping the halves together - I can get into/outof mine in just a few seconds.
- I AM forced to wear "all or nothing". With my old 2-piece suit, it was easy to get lazy and stop wearing the bottoms altogether.

So it's personal perference. But I do like my new perforated suit for riding here in the South.
banana.gif

go to Sportbike track gear and they have youtube videos talking about most of the suits they carry. I wear the Alpinestars Octane 1 piece suit and I love it. Even in 105 degree F heat, it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all, especially when you put on an undersuit like UnderArmour hot weather spandex material underneath. Makes getting in and out of the suit a breeze, even if you're a heavy sweater like me. My suit is video reviewed there so check it out. It's on the low side in terms of price point but is made with the same 1.2 to 1.4 mm full grain leather that the top of the line Alpinestars race suits are made of.

Riding in leathers inspires pilot confidence.

Whatever you do, take the plunge!

Urgently recommended.

Yup .....do it! I have a Joe Rocket one piece ( perf'd) and it's not bad at 55 mph and above....see sig pic. In traffic my azz burns up in the S.C. heat & humidity.

Back