Leathers in the rain

Busarider007

Registered
How many of you wear your leathers in the rain? I'm somewhat sceptical it may damage the leathers, mould, smell etc.
I'm sure there is some coating to apply like a water repplent for leathers. Thoughts?

I have been wearing my leathers for about 6 years now. In all kinds of weather including rain. Now I will put a rain suit on if it gets heavy simply because I dont want to be soakin wet, but the rain softened up my leather to start with. I dont worry about water treatments, if it gets that wet I need to put my rain suit on.

Same here, I always ride with full leathers so if I get caught in a light shower I don't usually worry about it. But if it starts to monsoon I'll pull over and get the rain suit out of the hump and throw it on.

i've ridden in the rain plenty of times...i always hang them up to dry in as close to a regular riding position as possible...if they are completely soaked through, they may be a little stiff when you first put them on again but it only takes a few minutes to loosen up...of course, as with anything else, you get what you pay for and really good leathers are going to respond better than cheap stuff :beerchug: as far as smell, mine smell a lot worse after having a month's worth of sweat build up and a good soaking actually makes them tolerable again :laugh:

For me there is no point in even buying leathers if yer not going to wear them if it gets hot,too cold,too wet. I just soak the krap outa them in a quality protectant occasionally. I also have sweet rain gear thats easy to put on/take off.Big boot openings,they zip together etc etc.

I've also become a leather hoarder.Perforated suit for the heat,gloves to match.Super thick suit for the cold(heated vest and/or jacket,heated gloves). And low cost,but quality leathers if it looks like rain with thicker non-perf gloves.

I dont believe in saving a 2000 dollar suit from the rain at the cost of my skin.:thumbsup:

RSD.

Carry rain gear. Riding in the rain with leathers only sucks. Mine are like a sponge.

Dsc04473.jpg

Dsc04515_800.jpg

Dsc04473.jpg

Dsc04515_800.jpg

Welll...since I just got back from riding about 800 miles worth of rain in Oregon...

If it doesn't rain too long, and you are moving, the wind blows most of the water off, and you don't get wet or dry pretty quickly. But having some rain gear sure can make for a more comfortable ride (and don't forget plastic trashbags for your feet/boots). Quality leathers are made knowing they are going to get wet, so an occassional soaking doesn't hurt them any just let them dry out naturally. Leathers only last so long, and getting them wet is probably the least of your problems (crashing being the first)...

Maintaining your leather with Saddle Soap or other leather conditioners will prevent the harsh weather damaging your leathers. I really enjoyed my Frogg Toggs last trip in the N.C. mountains when it rained

waterproof it with wilsons leathers spray then dry it off when u get home. do not soak leather in shower. it will cause the fibers to swell and as they dry they will become brittle. leather can also shrink if not treated when wet.

I spray mine with "Camp Dry"...no worrys with light rain but a good downpour and they weigh a ton...and soak through. I just hang them on the handlebars (Strom) and let them dry overnight and wear them again the next day (damp yet). If I get caught on the way to work (less likely) I lay them on a rack to dry out. No way would I count on leathers on a trip, they would soak through and stay that way for the day. Need rain gear over them.

Intresting concepts, my son's hockey goalie pads made of leather are constantly wet from playing on the ice, but they never turn hard when dry, however I have seen old pads eventually loose their softness and start to show signs of wear. Not sure if the same analogy can be applied for our jackets unless we're going for that worn look. my 2 cents!

Maybe you should spray them in THIS and let us know how it works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding in the rain with my leathers is the best way to remove bugs and road grime! :thumbsup:

too easy to slip on raingear so really cannot think of a reason to NOT stay dry (I also ride with leathers on).

The only thing I did to my leathers was leather conditioner and it helped the fit a bit. Then on a HOT HOT ride one day me and two buddy's jumped in some river for 15min and rode on. Once they dried in the heat they were the best fitting gear I ever had. No damage to them at all.

Back