Leathers: Bates or Z Customs?

teryx

Registered
I live in S. cal so eather is close enough for me to go to. I have done my homework and know bates has been around forever, but was bought out some years ago and the top builder of the leathers "Adolph" left and started Z custom. he is getting up there in age and probably oversees the sewing at Z. both places have knowlegeable people on the phone. I am a fat old man
"49, 5'10" and 290#". I have riddin for over 30 years but never had a good set of leathers.
Someone sway me to one place or the other.

I was going to have 36o-degree zippers added to a pair of leather track pants and I after much research, I picked Z Customs. They were the ones who "impressed" me the most.

P.S. Did not go thru with it since I ended up buying another with zippers already on it.

I will only wear Z Custom Leathers. Adolph is top notch, and thier customer service is amazing. I went down a 147mph in my suit, and walked away from it(although very slowly and in pain)....none of the seams blew out, no roadrash....no broken shoulder or elbow,just lots of bruising where the body armor absorbed the impact instead of my bones.

I raced 3 more seasons in the suit.....and still have it as a spare.

Last edited:
I was considering Z Custom Leathers when I was looking, but then I found an amazing price on a Dainese so I didn't need to go through with it... :beerchug:

Go with Z Custom... :thumbsup:

I got my leathers through NJK near Camp Pendleton... I am happy with them... I looked at Bates and Z Customs and between the two I would go with Z - but NJK is another option.

I had a long talk with Adolph from Z .he is the guy that made bates who they where back in the day , however he does not offer hard back armor, and since i broke my back 28 years ago I feel i need one, so I am getting a pro4 hard vanson back protector from Vanson and Adolph will put it in his jacket, soon as it gets here i will go get measured.

Last edited:
Back