Learning to ride

Racer 222

The rider formerly known as Howlin_Mad
Donating Member
Registered
I don't want to sound preachy but it seems to me that we have had few more get offs here as of late than normal.

I don't ride on the street anymore but it took a close call for me to realize what I needed to do. I hope that you guys who really consider this a sport will seek to make your skills better by seeking further education in the handling of your machine of choice. I see a ton of posts on how to make more horsepower and don't really see a lot about lets go to the track and do a track day under instruction. There are plenty of places to go and do it. Hell just get with an MSF instructor and gather in a Mall parking lot and work on basics every now and then.

Ride safe....

Marc
"Howlin Mad"

Well Said Howlin...
thumbs-up.gif

Here Here...

Terrific advice.
Even the most seasoned riders can use some sit down / rider training.
For those who have ridden for years, have you ever been to a California Superbike School type with Keith Code or something like it.
Good times had by all. From track beginners to sponsored riders go there.

Terrific advice.
Even the most seasoned riders can use some sit down / rider training.
For those who have ridden for years, have you ever been to a California Superbike School type with Keith Code or something like it.
Good times had by all. From track beginners to sponsored riders go there.
Does not matter how many years of riding it is alwas good to check your skills.

Good One.

Too many people on this board seem to buy a 'Busa and immediately start tweaking for more power. How about learning to handle what the bike already offers before you strap the extra rocket engines on?

Good One.

Too many people on this board seem to buy a 'Busa and immediately start tweaking for more power. How about learning to handle what the bike already offers before you strap the extra rocket engines on?
I totally agree with you about the MODS. It would be better to invest in your ability to handle the bike before trying to make it a 200HP machine.

I have no problem with people upgrading!! Just would like to see riders up grade there skills with the bikes. Will save you lots of agony and my save your life. Just tired of hearing about all the get offs. Just seems to be a little higher than normal.

My plans with the busa: double bubble.
Thats about it.
If I need to go faster then high nines or hundred ninety anytime soon - shoot me.:D

Marc, you are such a wise man. I just shrug my shoulders every time I here some of these guys bragging about how fast their busa is in the corners and how they can keep up with an R-1 or whatever. I have stated on here before if you are riding at 100% on the streets, you are dancing at the devils door! If you never take your scooter to the track, you really don't know what your abilities nor your limitations are. I think you learn more in one day at the track with instruction than you will learn all year riding on the streets. I remember quite well my first trip to the track. I was excited but nervous not knowing what to expect. At the end of the day I analized what I had learned. What I learned had little to do with my abilities but made me aware of my inabilities. I had been riding for a long time and that one day at the track made me aware of how much I didn't know and just how low my experience level really was.

It seems we have guys dropping like flies recently and most of the time the real cause is riding beyond their skill level. Entering a corner to fast for your ability is probably the biggest cause of crashes? I hate to see you give up road riding but I know a number of racers that don't ride on the streets anymore. Even Valentino Rossi says he don't ride on the streets, just to dangerous! That should tell us all something? I doubt if there is three guys on this site that can ride a stock busa or liter bike to it's full poential, yet everybody who gets a sport bike seems to want to know what mods they can do to make it produce more power. For most guys, more power just gets them into serious trouble that much quicker. Thanks for the post. It's a very good one that should be taken seriously by all. Life is short and if you loose it, you don't get another shot to make corrections.

I don't want to sound preachy but it seems to me that we have had few more get offs here as of late than normal.  

I don't ride on the street anymore but it took a close call for me to realize what I needed to do.  I hope that you guys who really consider this a sport will seek to make your skills better by seeking further education in the handling of your machine of choice.  I see a ton of posts on how to make more horsepower and don't really see a lot about lets go to the track and do a track day under instruction.  There are plenty of places to go and do it.  Hell just get with an MSF instructor and gather in a Mall parking lot and work on basics every now and then.  

Ride safe....  

Marc
"Howlin Mad"
Why don't you host a little rider skills refresher for us. We could come over to Orlando and make a day of it. Maybe you could teach Cecil how to ride on two wheels.

rock.gif

Not sure I would be the one to host such an event! I am constantly working to improve my skills. I did go with a group the day after Thanksgiving to JenningsGP who did just that offered instruction on and off the track and it was only $100 for the day. Let me know if you have enough interested parties and we can try and do the same again. I go to the track regularly so you are more than welcome to come with anytime.

Looking forward to meeting you guys...:)

just curious-did you bring a bike to jennings or were you able to rent something up there ?----

Not sure I would be the one to host such an event!  I am constantly working to improve my skills.  I did go with a group the day after Thanksgiving to JenningsGP who did just that offered instruction on and off the track and it was only $100 for the day.  Let me know if you have enough interested parties and we can try and do the same again.  I go to the track regularly so you are more than welcome to come with anytime.  

Looking forward to meeting you guys...:)
Where is Jennings?

Forget that question, I should learn to do a google search before I ask questions. I found it.

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101775871 -->

You will need to bring your own bike. If your going to learn your machine I would recommend bringing the bike that you ride daily. If your going to become a track junkie I recommend getting a track only bike. Your risk of crashing at the track is less than on the street.

JenningGP is located off I-75 it is the last exit in Florida. Nice road course and not expensive at all, compared to the California tracks that I have ridden.

Try JenningsGP.com

Thank's Howli'n. I practice my survival skills every time i ride. I am 53 and have ridden since 15. I read all the bike rag's---good info---here and there. What really got to me the most--40k on a 900 Ninja and 14 k on a 88Gixxer1100- Then going to Sears Point----I thought i was gonna tear um' up-----major NOT. Street and Track are two different worlds. On the street..all we can do is not ride over our heads---and ride as "Defencible" as possible. Antisipate a cagers possible error--it probably saved my life last year....could have t-boned a Ford Explorer..saw it in advance and slowed down....i could have stopped if he pulled out---is was ready---- Ride safe all---

I agree, most of the guys I know back home all do it on the track. Now all I need is an R-1 for the track days and the Busa for the 1/4 mile..........ahhhhhh what a pleasant thought:)
I just bought mine and have only 912 miles on it and have had 3 cars pull out in front of me. One guy traveling in the opposite lane pulled right in front of me to pass a slower car,,,,,I was going about 120mph. Of course I guess thats par for the course in Italy...........When getting your license oversears the base tells you that you have a 75% chance of being involved in and accident before you leave to your next assignment. Been in 3, none my fault!!!!! (in a car)
10 months left to go.......scary!!!

I agree, most of the guys I know back home all do it on the track. Now all I need is an R-1 for the track days and the Busa for the 1/4 mile..........ahhhhhh what a pleasant thought:)
I just bought mine and have only 912 miles on it and have had 3 cars pull out in front of me. One guy traveling in the opposite lane pulled right in front of me to pass a slower car,,,,,I was going about 120mph. Of course I guess thats par for the course in Italy...........When getting your license oversears the base tells you that you have a 75% chance of being involved in and accident before you leave to your next assignment. Been in 3, none my fault!!!!! (in a car)
10 months left to go.......scary!!!
Are you military? If so, what base/station/post?

How do you like Italy? I hear there is some GREAT riding there...

I am tempted to try for Italy on my next assignment.

-Bill

Nawh the wife is active duty I work as a resource advisor for one of the Squadron as a Civ.
Aviano Air Force base in Northern Italy, 50 miles from Venice, close to Austria, Slovenia, Germany. The riding from what I have seen sofar is probably the best in the world. The base is very hi tempo and the most worked (by the numbers coming out of USAFE) United States Air Force Europe. Very hi stress base. Depending on your job I wouldn't come this way for more then 2-3 years max!!!!
Stationed 9 miles from the Italian Alps and 3 minutes from a bunch of twisties that go on and on for hours if you have enough gas:) Simply beautiful riding, see my post "Pics from Italy" Cortina. Also "pics from Germany"
Good luck on your next assignment:)

I'm going to need to do a lot of practicing when I get back. Too much down time, plus a series of mods to get used to. No power mods though. That will definitely wait until I get back used to ridin' and see an actual need. The bike is fast enough for me right now. Thanks for the words though, Howlin'!

Back