Learning about where Kiwi lives

We just had a tv show air , Saturday 3rd Feb , on NZ , a filmed slow journey from top of the North Island to very bottom of the South Island by rail , car and ferry . It was very enjoyable , featuring really beautiful scenery , and filmed with many cameras placed and angled around each type of vehicle as well as some drone footage .

Ah. This was mostly centered on the South Island. I nice part about the incredible civilian rescue of the passengers of the Russian ship that sank and the arrival of the hippies and the ensuing marijuana "industry". ;). As well as some other stuff. I do believe it is a series. Incredible scenery you guys have there

He moon lights as a drag racer but you didn't hear that from me.

20190130_124628.jpg

Hehe, the real reason NZ remains so beautiful is that it is so far from the rest of the world and we are extremely careful about who we let in here.

There is just 1 million people resident in the South Island and the isolation keeps out the riff-raff . . . . (I was born here so I have a good excuse lol)

As for the North Island, half of China and a third of India now live there.
To be AVOIDED at all costs :banghead:

The really awesome thing about being a motorcyclist here, is there is a lot of us, and I mean A LOT! Not to mention the incredibly diverse scenery, altitudes, types of roads, mountains, plains, farming country, small desert type areas, plateaus, fiords, all within a few hours riding periods.
Oh, and the random earthquakes keep things pretty exciting too!

If anyone of you lot really want to come visit, I know it's a big journey and expensive, but I am happy to help in any way I can, be it accommodation, touring routes, finding a bike to ride, general Kiwiana knowledge . . . just ask.
Heck, I'll even ride the South Island with ya!

I know a Canadian guy that came here to tour NZ on a bike, he said that in Canada it is a dream destination among most bikers to see NZ before they shuffle off this mortal coil.

Anyway, just sayin', Kiwi loves his country and wouldn't wanna live anywhere else. :race::race::race: :thumbsup:

Ah. This was mostly centered on the South Island. I nice part about the incredible civilian rescue of the passengers of the Russian ship that sank and the arrival of the hippies and the ensuing marijuana "industry". ;). As well as some other stuff. I do believe it is a series. Incredible scenery you guys have there
Ah yes, the Russian cruise ship "The Mikhail Lermontov"
https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/the-last-cruise-of-mikhail-lermontov/
What a bloody disaster that was!
Turned out the Captain had handed over the steering to the Pilot (a Kiwi bloke) while Cap went night nights in his cabin.
The Pilot got a bit wayward and decided to take the ship through some rocks and that was the end of that.
Tsk tsk, I think the Captain was in a power of sh*t when he got home.

As for the Hippies, yeah, I was one of them in the early seventies, a lot of acid was imported as well as a lot of Thai Bhudda sticks, kinda got things rockin' a bit over here in little old NZ lol.

Hey guys, if you search 'Coast New Zealand' in Youtube and if you have your PC hooked up to your big screen tv via HDMI cable, like I do, you can watch this . . .
At 42:45 there is a helicopter flight up the Franz Josef Glacier . . mind blowing scenery!!

Back