Leaking Stator cover

dirty dave

Registered
I`m looking for suggestions I tried Yamabond and it seems to be leaking just a bit from 1 of the lower bolt holes in the cover.???

I would recommend pulling the cover off and installing a new gasket. Is the cover damaged?

^^^^ What he said.
New gasket is less than ten bucks and it should only take a few moments to get cover off and new gasket on there.
Do it right and forget about it.

If cover is good why do you feel you may need another one ?
I'm betting a new gasket and properly torqueing all the bolts will fix it .

I had a stator side leak.. Caused for a custom gasket. After two factory gaskets.. Just sayin.. it was a big pain and ruined my shoes..

If you have never replaced the stator cover 2 things to be aware of, Make sure the bike is standing straight up, as in using a rear stand, ( not the kickstand ) and when putting on the new cover, WATCH YOUR FINGERS the magnet will pull that cover on faster than you will be ready for, dont get your fingers between the cover and the block ( OUCH )

New OEM gasket should do, don't overtorque the bolts, they'll break easy and if the leak continues try to press some silicone gasket sealant between the cover and the case...

If you have never replaced the stator cover 2 things to be aware of, Make sure the bike is standing straight up, as in using a rear stand, ( not the kickstand ) and when putting on the new cover, WATCH YOUR FINGERS the magnet will pull that cover on faster than you will be ready for, dont get your fingers between the cover and the block ( OUCH )

good info! thx:thumbsup:

I assumed the leak on mine was a gasket, leaking near one of the upper bolt holes. After many attempts to correct with new gasket, silicone gasket maker, combinations of the two, made my own gasket a few times out of a roll of gasket material, nothing was working. Then the light was just right, and I could just see the crack near a bolt hole. It was only visible when torqued down and hot, with no oil in the crack. Once off the bike it was invisible, so I don't feel too bad taking so long to figure it out. It wouldn't leak until really good and hot and it took more than a short ride to get leaking, and then the airflow would send it all over, so it was tough to see where it was coming from.

A temporary patch of gasket maker silicon and gasket material applied inside the cover is doing the trick until I get a new cover on.

The good news is, with all the practice, I can now get the left fairing off in seconds, in the dark, one handed :D

Back