Leak down test

jermzfree

Registered
Went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap cylninder leakage tester for my Busa ($40) I had a couple questions on the procedure:

1. How do you know when you achieve TDC on the Busa? Is there a marking on the signal generator that tells you where TDC is?

2. Is the engine going to crank over once 100 psi is pushed into the cylinders? If so, how do you stabalize the engine?

ThumbsUp.gif

Went to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap cylninder leakage tester for my Busa ($40) I had a couple questions on the procedure:

1. How do you know when you achieve TDC on the Busa? Is there a marking on the signal generator that tells you where TDC is?

2. Is the engine going to crank over once 100 psi is pushed into the cylinders? If so, how do you stabalize the engine?

ThumbsUp.gif
On the right side, you will need to remove the two plugs that are on the starter clutch cover. One will give you access to the 14mm bolt head to turn the crank and the other will show you the TDC alignment mark.

The crank plug is a 10mm hex and the alignment plug is 8mm hex.

When you have it set at TDC, you'll be fine with 100psi.

Here's a picture from the service manual showing the two access plugs removed and how to align the 'timing' marks for TDC

(click the image to see larger version)

alignment.jpg

another way to turn the crank is to take all your plugs out, put the bike in sixth gear, raise the rear, rotate the rear tire to move the crank and find the compression stroke

Back