Lawnmower help

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I got a freebie lawnmower off a friend, said it ran out of oil and stopped running. Well, it was filled with oil, and turned over and ran perfectly fine... for about 10 minutes... Now, it stalled like it was in too much grass, but won't restart. It has new fuel in it, and a brand new spark plug. My neighbor said it might be a safety switch for f you hit a rock or something, it would trip the switch and shut it off. Any ideas?

A thorough visual inspection is the first step when troubleshooting.

Take a look underneath and see if there is anything wrapped around the shaft.

Then take the top shroud off and have a good look see..
lurk.gif

A thorough visual inspection is the first step when troubleshooting.

Take a look underneath and see if there is anything wrapped around the shaft.

Then take the top shroud off and have a good look see..
lurk.gif
Done and done. Couldn't see anything wrong.

How old of mower?

briggs motors can sheer the keyway under the flywheel (where the rope pull hooks) if that happens the flywheel falls out of timing with the crankshaft.. (magnet for magneto)

A quick check for spark is a good idea here anyway... put your tongue on end of plug wire and have an accomplice give a good yank on the rope pull.. (alternate method would be an old sparkplug on wire held against engine case)
whistling.gif

check plug that is installed in mower to see if it is wet with gasoline.

a picture/model of the mower could help a bunch here.. (all have safety shut offs now days)

A quick check for spark is a good idea here anyway...  put your tongue on end of plug wire and have an accomplice give a good yank on the rope pull..  (alternate method would be an old sparkplug on wire held against engine case)  
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

And I bet you talked a friend into licking an aluminum flag pool in the dead of winter when you were young!

rofl.gif

I would check the safety switch under the seat to see if it got a little loose. Mine just did that the other day when I stopped to refuel. I was like WTF?? But then I thought about it for a sec, jiggled the wire, and off I went.

Also a stupid question, but does the brake have to be set to start it? Mine does that too.

Depending on how long it sat with old fuel in it after he thought it was seized could be one of the sources for your problem! Carbs might be where you end up... As suggested above start with the basics
Fuel
Air
Compression
Check the plugs, fuel lines/filters/throttle cable/linkage, air cleaner/choke, mower blade and drive shaft/keyway. Does this mower have a brake clutch?

even though the plug is new, pull it to see if it is carbon fouled. if it's not, try feeding it gas through the carb... if it starts- it's a carb problem good luck

spray some starting fluid into it and see if it starts. Sounds like you have a problem with fuel getting to the motor...

Depending on how long it sat with old fuel in it after he thought it was seized could be one of the sources for your problem! Carbs might be where you end up... As suggested above start with the basics
Fuel
Air
Compression
Check the plugs, fuel lines/filters/throttle cable/linkage, air cleaner/choke, mower blade and drive shaft/keyway. Does this mower have a brake clutch?
It's a push mower, so no clutch. Give me a sec and I'll get a pic...

Back