Launch Master Help

So just hooked up an MSD Launch master bike is stock motor with a Murray Pipe, PCV, and a Schnitz Racing ECU flash. Issue i'm having is the bike starts fine and the Launch Master powers on but when i run the blue wire up to the Black/Yellow wire I can't seem to get it to work. Now i'm just trying to test is yet so the airbox isn't on the bike yet i don't want to put it all together and now have it work. My main question is just for testing purposes i just stuck the wire in the back of the black and yellow connector to make sure its right. Does it matter if i test is right at the clutch lever or do i have to splice in and try it after it comes back out of the housing and in to the wiring harness? I did some searching and saw that someone used the black and yellow wire but it doesn't seem to work for me. Bike is a 2008

I have an MSD Launch master on my 06 GRXR-1000. It is a few years old MSD part number 4350. This unit can be activated two ways. By a ground. Or by a 12 volt signal. It comes wired to be activated by grounding the Blue wire. And that is the way you want to use it.
If you have everything wired correctly. And that includes the ground wire for the MSD Launch master. You can test the unit by simply grounding the Blue wire.
Set the MSD Launch master at it's lowest RPM that's 1,800 on mine. Start the bike. Make sure the Blue wire is Grounded. Throttle up slowly. If all things are right you will be able to hold the throttle wide open. And the engine RPM will stay at 1,800rpm. Or whatever you have it set for. This will at least tell you that the unit is working properly. Then you can move on to wiring it into the clutch switch.

what is the easiest way to ground it out temporally to see if its working properly?

I have an MSD Launch master on my 06 GRXR-1000. It is a few years old MSD part number 4350. This unit can be activated two ways. By a ground. Or by a 12 volt signal. It comes wired to be activated by grounding the Blue wire. And that is the way you want to use it.
If you have everything wired correctly. And that includes the ground wire for the MSD Launch master. You can test the unit by simply grounding the Blue wire.
Set the MSD Launch master at it's lowest RPM that's 1,800 on mine. Start the bike. Make sure the Blue wire is Grounded. Throttle up slowly. If all things are right you will be able to hold the throttle wide open. And the engine RPM will stay at 1,800rpm. Or whatever you have it set for. This will at least tell you that the unit is working properly. Then you can move on to wiring it into the clutch switch.

If your unit is the same as the one I have... The Black wire that grounds the unit. And the Blue wire that will end up being wired to your clutch switch come out of the same plug. Attach the Blue wire to the same place you have Grounded the Black wire.

If your unit is the same as the one I have... The Black wire that grounds the unit. And the Blue wire that will end up being wired to your clutch switch come out of the same plug. Attach the Blue wire to the same place you have Grounded the Black wire.

Mine is the 4350 from MSD. I have the black wire on the negative battery terminal. When i stick the blue on the negative terminal it still doesn't work.

The bike starts fine. If i take the blue wire and stick it on the Black/Yellow connection right at the clutch switch with the clutch in the light doesnt go out on the box like MSD says it should. But i did discover that if i watch the light on the box while letting out the clutch lever i can quickly see the light turn off and then back on and then as soon as that happens it throw the FI light on the dash.

I assume you did also get the MSD harness that does the hook up to the coils? As I said I have mine on a GSXR 1000. And my Busa is a 1st gen. You 08 is a 2nd gen. But I have the wiring diagrams for all 3 bikes in front of me. They are all the same as far as the clutch switch goes. I would not pay to much attention to the red light on the box. I seam to remember when that was off and on confused me a little too when I installed it.
If you have the coils hooked correctly to the box. And the box has power and is grounded. Grounding the Blue wire will activate the box. Your engine will stutter when you bring the engine rpm up to what you have the box set at. It will sound just like you're hitting the limiter. After you wire this to the clutch switch all you are doing is Grounding the Blue wire when the clutch lever is pulled in. And breaking the ground when the clutch lever is let out. If the unit doesn't work properly when you ground the Blue wire. There's another problem...

I assume you did also get the MSD harness that does the hook up to the coils? As I said I have mine on a GSXR 1000. And my Busa is a 1st gen. You 08 is a 2nd gen. But I have the wiring diagrams for all 3 bikes in front of me. They are all the same as far as the clutch switch goes. I would not pay to much attention to the red light on the box. I seam to remember when that was off and on confused me a little too when I installed it.
If you have the coils hooked correctly to the box. And the box has power and is grounded. Grounding the Blue wire will activate the box. Your engine will stutter when you bring the engine rpm up to what you have the box set at. It will sound just like you're hitting the limiter. After you wire this to the clutch switch all you are doing is Grounding the Blue wire when the clutch lever is pulled in. And breaking the ground when the clutch lever is let out. If the unit doesn't work properly when you ground the Blue wire. There's another problem...

Well after i did some searching and made sure to re read the instructions i went back to down to the garage and started looking at it again and well for the hell of it i took the two connectors one one with the power wire and the one with the four tan wires and switched them around. And well it worked. Strange thing is that is backward from what the instructions say so i'm not sure whats up with that.

Backward? You're probably talking about the red light on the box. To be honest I had mine wired and working before I noticed the light. When I saw it working backwards it made me wonder if I had a problem. But just left it as it was. It's a good 2 step. I bought mine right when they came out in late 2009 or early 2010. It's on a bike that only goes to the drag strip. And it goes often. It's always worked fine...

Backward? You're probably talking about the red light on the box. To be honest I had mine wired and working before I noticed the light. When I saw it working backwards it made me wonder if I had a problem. But just left it as it was. It's a good 2 step. I bought mine right when they came out in late 2009 or early 2010. It's on a bike that only goes to the drag strip. And it goes often. It's always worked fine...

It seems to work fine i'm going to give it a better try tomorrow but this bike will be a track only bike by the end of this coming winter so hell it works it works. I want to get a slider clutch next to hopefully totally utilize the benefits of the 2step clutch combo. Can i ask you what your track bike set up is?

Sure... But I don't think it will be much help for you. I mainly run 1/8 mile with my 1000 Gixer. Slick, wheelie bar, air shifter and 2 step, geared pretty low. 14 Front 50 Rear. I am tight in 5th when I cross the stripe. I'm pretty consistently in the mid to high 5.80's 120 - 122mph. I ride my Busa on the street a lot. But I'll take it to a 1/4 mile track 5 or 6 times during the Summer. Stock gearing, UCU is flashed, air shifter. It runs right at 10. about 138 to 142mph. Both have stock motors. Neither are outrageously fast. But both ate a lot of fun! The Gixer and Busa may look a little alike at a glance. But they are brothers for different mothers. And have to be treated that way

Hopefully anyone reading my last response knows I meant ECU not UCU. I like motorcycles, not typing...

Back