Large guy, slow times

Here is my take. I have a Gen I.

I am 290lbs suited. I have enough seat time to show you what difference I have seen.

I know a lot of guys have thrown out different #s out there about this or that but my numbers are from consistent testing and comparisons. .10 for 10lbs is way over optimistic. Maybe if your running 16s or 15s in the qtr.

I am at 5300' altitude so don't look at the times I run or my light rider mod. Plus my bike is stock except for gearing, stock modded exhaust, airbox mod with stock filter, ECU tune and 60lbs removed from the bike and is SWB. Just see the difference.

Ok. I was 290lbs suited. My best time a few years back was as follows:
10.40ET @133mph 6.90 1/8th @107mph w/1.74 60ft. launching at around 7k with sliding clutch method

My buddy who weighs 175lbs suited same day on my bike:
9.80ET @140mph 6.30 1/8th @113mph w/1.52 60ft. launching near off idle

Facts: .60 and 7mph difference between us. He gets better 60fts so I am losing in that arena. I am 115lbs heavier than my friend. Same bike same day.
So to throw out #s I feel are more realistic, I will throw out some now. Remember though, the quicker and faster you already are these #s change significantly. These are more realistic for times in the high 9s to low 11s.

For every .10 you drop in a 60ft. you could expect .15 in the qtr. Everything has to be the same for this to be close.
For every 25lbs loss on the bike or the rider, you can expect around a .10 loss in the qtr. given the same through out the run. I usually use 25lbs for inconsistencies.
For every 25lbs loss on the bike or the rider, you can expect around 1mph gain in the qtr.

So let's start with the easy one first. He runs 7mph faster. If I use my factor of every 25lbs equals 1mph in the traps, I could gain about 4.5mph in the qtr. Ok. That only puts me at 137 to 138. I am missing 2 to 3mph.......For me I have to factor aerodynamics. I am much wider than him. In fact he can hide behind me and you wouldn't see him. This can be similar to riders who leave their legs dangling because of having an air shifter. It hurts ET and MPH. We did a test and placed weights on the bike mostly on the tank as well as he rode with a 50lb police academy vest to see the difference. It took many many runs to see consistent runs to show accurate differences. Pretty darn close to my #s but for a little 175lb guy to add 100lbs to him and the bike sure changes how well he can ride. It was a ***** to say the least so it took a couple days to get a feel for it.

Now let's look at the 60ft. If I could run a 1.52 60ft. it is possible I would run a 10.10ET? MPH in the traps would probably remain close to the same.

Next let's look at the ET in the qtr. If I were to lose 115lbs then going by my math, I could drop .45 tenths. Well if that is true then I could be running 9.65ETs now.
Hey wait a minute. I would be running quicker than my friend with being the same weight? Not going to happen.

Here is my thinking. There may be a point where I at 290lbs I cannot get any better than a 1.70 60ft. Partly because if I launch any harder without the bike having optimum suspension settings I will be seeing 12 o'clock and shortly after I would be laying on my back. Also the bike can only perform so well in it's TQ band to move my fat ass and the bike together. Remember I am at 5300' altitude so the bike only makes 132rwhp and 90ft/lbs TQ at most. Sure if I had it stretched and a bar, then I could hit better than 1.50 60fts. But that isn't how we are comparing. It would be more accurate to compare with that equipment though.

You can see by the 1/8th that aerodynamics start to play a factor as he was 6mph faster but by the qtr he was 7mph faster. By the 1/2 mile mark if we were to continue that far I would bet he would be at 16mph+ faster. All I can say is for you to tuck as much as possible and squeeze the tank with your legs to get as close to the bike you can for your best back half.

So with all that said, at this point in the game, practice, practice and practice some more.

Busashot, all good and valid points! You are on the right track and there is a LOT more to it besides just weight, that's why I said what I did. Doesn't mean it's 100% true just an estimate. Where the weight is changes things, longer swing arm, altitude, weather, etc..etc...a million things you can do different to play with those numbers or estimates. BUT....at the end of the day they are only estimates,...until you DO it and prove it then it means nothing... ;)

Same can be said for the DYNO... :beerchug:

I come in at 375 in street clothes. 07 busa streched about 8, full exhaust, bmc filter, small air box mod, dual intake cams, pc3 usb, dyna arc 2 ignition, shinko hook up, lowered, i leave with my foot on the shifter and 60' 1.60's and run 6.60's at 104mph. 1/8 mile of course. How ever i have a blast doing it, my first pass back in 08 was a fun 7.80. The avantage to being this heavy is it will hook on ice. When some one junk talks me i come back with match wieght and ill give you the back tire and the break. On the street weight is not a huge factor as i can cut 1.70's on the street and see if they can run me down. Have fun or stop spending your money and time.

If you want faster times beat the bike up....practice night and bump through the rounds....you can win or lose at the tree...when you bump in...see the lights tree them...or red light...next is learn your ride...rev it fan the clutch and do what you can...if you can get 6 -- 10 passes in a night you will see your #'s drop...60 ft reaction times etc...it is a fast bike no matter what...how do you feel in the shutdown area...at some point you are racing yourself...as far as dial in...know your own machine and be consistent...way easier said than done...

Back