Large displacement engines & overheating

Big Red

Donating Member
Registered
I have been considering upping the displacement on my '04 LE via bigger bore and stroke. I would be happy with 200 dependable horsepower with a nice torque and power spread for the street. However, I have heard overheating is a problem on the big inch mills. Do these 1500cc + monsters need dual batteries and custom radiators ? What do the experts say? Where are you Johnny Cheese?

Lee's performance is doing me a stock bore high compression motor next month that should make high 190's - 200 hp . I'll post up the final numbers after tuning and let you know how it goes . Im looking for the same kind of streetable power without the hassels of a big bore (hard to start - overheating)

I HAVE THE 1397 KIT ALONG WITH HEAD WORK AND BIG RACE CAMS. I AGREE WITH BUGSY 2ND FAN AND BATTERY A MUST. ANOTHER THING THAT WILL ONLY HELP IS THE 1 INCH FLAT OIL PAN WITH THE BAFFLE IN IT.

I have a 1397 with web cams and ported head. It has 24v starting system with two batteries and single muzzy alum. fan. It never runs over halfway on the temp. gauge, even at stoplights in the heat, and it starts very easy with the two batteries. I ride it on the street all the time
cool.gif

I DID A 1397 WITH A COMP. RATIO OF 13:1 FOR MY BROTHER-IN-LAW A FEW MONTHS BACK, 2 INTAKE CAMS DEGREE AT 105 AND 106.5, HAD TO REPLACE A FEW SHIMS ON THE EXHAUST SIDE..BUT IT TURNED OUT REALLY NICE, NO OVERHEATING, OR HARD STARTS, AND IT STILL USE THE STOCK BATTERY..NOT SURE ABOUT HP AS HE IS TUNING IT ON THE STREET USING A WIDEBAND COMMANDER...I RODE IT ABOUT THREE TIME AND IT HAS LOTS OF TORQUE, HE JUST RODE IT FROM CHICAGO TO ARKANSAS WITH NO ISSUES...
SO IF YOU ARE THINKING OF GOING 1397 DO IT JUST HAVE IT DONE BY A REPUTABLE SHOP THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, NOT YOUR LOCAL BIKE DEALER...

Back