Language

(O steps up on his soapbox)...

One of the things I really liked about this board is that we don't use foul language.  I've been to other boards and stopped because it gets to be too much.  We're slipping, bad, compared to how it used to be.  We don't need to be using *&%$#, or purposely misspelling words to avoid using the real words. Don't use it at all.  I'd like to see us get back to keeping it clean.
This is my 2c, if I stepped on any toes, and I may later...too...bad, see I didn't say too &^*%$ bad not so hard and it saves time.
Thank you.
(O steps down from his soapbox)

You are always welcome to step up on the box.
Just so you don't think i am harping on you Big O.  I do agree with your comment, we just need to make sure that we do not go extreme, one way or the other.

Foul language only shows a lack of vocabulary
I smell a challenge ... From now on no more cussin ... Lets see how many different idiocies I can come up with to avoid the use of swearing ... Let the games begin!!!
I don't think so!!  I hold 2 degrees one in Business and one in Geo-Science I have an above average IQ ( I do admit I am a terrible speller, anyone that has been here for some time knows that) with a good amount of common sense.  I am on the 5th Floor (there are only 6) of Corporate Bose, and did not get here by accident.  I watch my language, my vocabulary, the terms I use and even the expressions that I present, that is Corporate America.  I watch how people feel about things and how they interpret them. The point is I watch all day, I am not going to watch on a site that I enjoy and blow off steam once in a while.  Just keep things in perspective let’s not go off in to a ridiculous mode.  Every one on this site knows what good, bad perverted or just plain unintelligent (stupid, dimwitted, obtuse) is.  Let’s just leave it at that.
Hey Ninja, You spell checked this!  I know you did...
jump9.gif
[/QUOTE]
@$&* *#@

If I did not spell check it it would look like I was cussing all the time.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Interesting issue..... My question is, is it censorship, prejudice, homophobia, or any type of "ism" anyone attempts to promote a point contrary to one's own perspective point of view, and dare to ask others follow suit?

Here's my $0.02.

I come here to let my hair down (if you knew what I looked like, you'd laugh). In a world that's becoming way too politically correct, I appreciate the ability for everyone to say what he/she feels. If someone is consistently vulgar, then I get to know their "personality".

I'm not writing a business letter to my boss, or writing a term paper, so people's crappy spelling, their colorful language, or whatever doesn't bother me.

This forum is less "vulgar" than sh.org, but I think it strikes a good balance between Satan and The Church Lady. In the end, this forum belongs to the admins that run it. I'll follow their rules. If I felt that there was too much cussing, I'd leave. If I felt that this forum turned into a social tea club, I'd leave.

What does Captain, Cache, and Narcissus say?

Here's my $0.02.

I come here to let my hair down (if you knew what I looked like, you'd laugh).  In a world that's becoming way too politically correct, I appreciate the ability for everyone to say what he/she feels.  If someone is consistently vulgar, then I get to know their "personality".

I'm not writing a business letter to my boss, or writing a term paper, so people's crappy spelling, their colorful language, or whatever doesn't bother me.

This forum is less "vulgar" than sh.org, but I think it strikes a good balance between Satan and The Church Lady.  In the end, this forum belongs to the admins that run it.  I'll follow their rules.  If I felt that there was too much cussing, I'd leave.  If I felt that this forum turned into a social tea club, I'd leave.

Uh "One Lump or Two Deary?"

"Oh try the scones, they are fabulous."

"Did you hear what the Hendersons son did...."  cackle cackle gossip gossip....

Bunch of old hens....
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

Dude....

I think for the most part everyone just tries to get along, or failing that at least respect the other guy/gals perspective.  I know I find myself typing as politly as I can without sounding like a politician...

firedevil.gif

Jees....Big O, I find this board to be one of the cleanest on the web that deals with our favorite subject.
To me personally, a little of this (#$%%) is fine, it's just a simple form of expression.
Who are any of us to tell someone else how they should express themselves, and what they should and should not do or say.
I do agree that profanity should not be spelled out in it's entirety, but what's wrong with a few little symbols.
How folks express themselves is one of the attributes that keep all people unique.
Sorry Big O.....yer a cool guy........but I can't back ya on this one.......not that it matters I guess.
Bill

I have been a member here for a bit over a year, and lurked a while before i joined. Over that time this board has changed quite a lot. We have gotten alot of new member (and sadly lost old members too) and the tone of the board has changed to be a little more serious (IMO). This is probly the "cleanest" board there is, Its no where near Labusas, but then again, few boards are. I just go with the flow of things. Im not going to make a fuss over "@E%@#$" "f'n" "azz" or even "ass", I can tell you that 4th graders have worse language than anything on this board.

*Steps down*

I smell a challenge ... From now on no more cussin ... Lets see how many different idiocies I can come up with to avoid the use of swearing ... Let the games begin!!!
I don't think so!!  I hold 2 degrees one in Business and one in Geo-Science I have an above average IQ ( I do admit I am a terrible speller, anyone that has been here for some time knows that) with a good amount of common sense.  I am on the 5th Floor (there are only 6) of Corporate Bose, and did not get here by accident.  I watch my language, my vocabulary, the terms I use and even the expressions that I present, that is Corporate America.  I watch how people feel about things and how they interpret them. The point is I watch all day, I am not going to watch on a site that I enjoy and blow off steam once in a while.  Just keep things in perspective let’s not go off in to a ridiculous mode.  Every one on this site knows what good, bad perverted or just plain unintelligent (stupid, dimwitted, obtuse) is.  Let’s just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back there buddy.

-Rippah

(O gets back up on the box)

EXCELLENT!!!

I should restate my intentions.  I do NOT favor censorship and I guess that's how I may have come across to some people.  I respect everybody's opinion and yes, you guys are right, using symbols instead of the real words should be acceptable.  This is the cleanest site, I agree, and I didn't see the pendulum swinging one way, just listing to one side.   I don't want the pendulum to swing this site into "tea party" either.  Self restraint is more of what I was promoting.  
I was definitely Not calling anyone out, just making an overhead statement.  Trust me, I am a Master of using "colorful" language when I'm with my friends and there are no women or children around.  But when I'm here I am challenged to use my limited vocabulary to express myself.
Thanks to everyone, especially those who agreed to disagree with me.
(O gets off his box)
(then gets back on)
Oh, and Big O is a name I got from the guys at work.
My first name is Owen.
biggrin.gif

O'well, there goes that theory.......
No just kidding. I'm very pleased that for the most part this site and its members refrain from all the things I see at other sites. My youngest one wants to ride when he gets older and its because of his interest in motorcycles he likes to read over my shoulder here in our little part of the web. I feel very comfy letting him do just that as I rarely find anything objectionable here... Thanks Captain and company for running a tight ship! Especially with the photo's.........

I don't think so!!  I hold 2 degrees one in Business and one in Geo-Science I have an above average IQ ( I do admit I am a terrible speller, anyone that has been here for some time knows that) with a good amount of common sense.  I am on the 5th Floor (there are only 6) of Corporate Bose, and did not get here by accident.  I watch my language, my vocabulary, the terms I use and even the expressions that I present, that is Corporate America.  I watch how people feel about things and how they interpret them. The point is I watch all day, I am not going to watch on a site that I enjoy and blow off steam once in a while.  Just keep things in perspective let’s not go off in to a ridiculous mode.  Every one on this site knows what good, bad perverted or just plain unintelligent (stupid, dimwitted, obtuse) is.  Let’s just leave it at that.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back there buddy.

-Rippah[/QUOTE]
I won't, and that was not the point.

(O gets back up on the box)

EXCELLENT!!!

I should restate my intentions.  I do NOT favor censorship and I guess that's how I may have come across to some people.  I respect everybody's opinion and yes, you guys are right, using symbols instead of the real words should be acceptable.  This is the cleanest site, I agree, and I didn't see the pendulum swinging one way, just listing to one side.   I don't want the pendulum to swing this site into "tea party" either.  Self restraint is more of what I was promoting.  
I was definitely Not calling anyone out, just making an overhead statement.  Trust me, I am a Master of using "colorful" language when I'm with my friends and there are no women or children around.  But when I'm here I am challenged to use my limited vocabulary to express myself.
Thanks to everyone, especially those who agreed to disagree with me.
(O gets off his box)
(then gets back on)
Oh, and Big O is a name I got from the guys at work.
My first name is Owen.  
biggrin.gif
<span style='color:orangered'>(Scoots Soap Box Back Over)</span>

Ahem, Big O,

I knew that (Big O), as soon as you mentioned it I remember reading where you got your name in another thread.

I was hoping you would get a kick outta the Tea Party imagery.  

I think you have a valid point especially from the point of view of preserving the respectability of this board.  Even more important when we look at our other options, or when we consider the kids out there.  This board is something that I wouldn't mind my lil’ nephew reading.  Besides *$&^$% has been used by Yosemite Sam since I was kid.
kickass.gif

I keep hearing that the board has changed, and it sounds like it hasn't changed for the better.  That's to bad, and makes me feel a little responsible.  Feels like I might haven taken the cool toy outta the classroom box and broke it at recess...Guess I'll try harder...

Without the core group of really experienced wrenches and riders out there the board wouldn't be nearly as helpful as it is...

Later

<span style='color:orangered'>(Slides Soap Box Down The Line)</span>

Not ruling you out here, Jugular, but here is the plain and simple explanation to why this board is censored:

This is a place to talk about the Hayabusa and other things in our lives related. This can pretty much be anything.

Censored so we can check out the board from home, work, internet cafe, etc... <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT</span> a spouse, boss, child, etc... seeing nudity, profanity, etc... that would make this site off limits.

Keep in mind that Captain owns this place. His rules. He rules. Captain is the King of this domain, no pun intended.
laugh.gif

I love it here, I have not changed and never will.

"  We don't need to be using *&%$#, or purposely misspelling words to avoid using the real words. Don't use it at all."  
            Thank you.
But then again there are times...

TOP TEN TIMES IN HISTORY, WHEN USING @#*&!$% WAS TRULY APPROPRIATE

10th - "Scattered @#$%ing showers, my a$$!" - Noah, 4314 BC

9th - "How the @#$% did you work that out?" - Pythagorus, 126 BC

8th - "You want WHAT on the @#$%ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

7th - "Where did all those @#$%ing Indians come from?" - Custer, 1877

6th - "It does so @#$%ing look like her!" - Picasso, 1926

5th - "Where the @#$% are we?" - Amelia Earhart, 1937

4th - "Any @#$%ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein, 1938

3rd - "What the @#$% was that?" - Mayor Of Hiroshima, 1945

2nd - "I need this parade like I need a @#$%ing hole in the head!" - JFK,1963

And,.....drum roll........
The number 1 most appropriate time for using the "F" word.................
"Aw c'mon. Who the @#$% is going to find out?"- Bill Clinton, 1997

Not ruling you out here, Jugular, but here is the plain and simple explanation to why this board is censored:

This is a place to talk about the Hayabusa and other things in our lives related. This can pretty much be anything.

Censored so we can check out the board from home, work, internet cafe, etc... <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT</span> a spouse, boss, child, etc... seeing nudity, profanity, etc... that would make this site off limits.

Keep in mind that Captain owns this place. His rules. He rules. Captain is the King of this domain, no pun intended.
laugh.gif

I love it here, I have not changed and never will.
Yup cache hasnt changed a bit
tounge.gif

"  We don't need to be using *&%$#, or purposely misspelling words to avoid using the real words. Don't use it at all."  
            Thank you.
But then again there are times...

TOP TEN TIMES IN HISTORY, WHEN USING @#*&!$% WAS TRULY APPROPRIATE

10th - "Scattered @#$%ing showers, my a$$!" - Noah, 4314 BC

9th - "How the @#$% did you work that out?" - Pythagorus, 126 BC

8th - "You want WHAT on the @#$%ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

7th - "Where did all those @#$%ing Indians come from?" - Custer, 1877

6th - "It does so @#$%ing look like her!" - Picasso, 1926

5th - "Where the @#$% are we?" - Amelia Earhart, 1937

4th - "Any @#$%ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein, 1938

3rd - "What the @#$% was that?" - Mayor Of Hiroshima, 1945

2nd - "I need this parade like I need a @#$%ing hole in the head!" - JFK,1963

And,.....drum roll........
The number 1 most appropriate time for using the "F" word.................
"Aw c'mon. Who the @#$% is going to find out?"- Bill Clinton, 1997
O' Brave One (with a rifle that is...). I loved the "H" "E" double hockey sticks out of that one. You are always so serious, but I was sadly mistaken in believing that you had NO sense of humor
laugh.gif

Brian

hey Cache...i tried clicking on "off limits" but nuthing happened....

see I didn't say too &^*%$ bad
see.....even you said it.....you just couldn't help yerself .

You used it in HUMOR . As most do here .

I think yer worrin' 'bout nuthin'.

An' if you dont like my point of view.....you can go get fugged.....

hee hee hee....kiddin'....sorry...I know yer single...

Back